IGNORED

kerosene heaters

Snarley Bill

if the instructions say no ,then no..........i did try kerosene in my " kerosun" heater.the round ones that stand up , no fan......it clogs the wick.....you have to use k1 in those......the torpedoes,..i think you can use plain kerosene.....but i repeat, if the instuctions say no or only..that's what you better use.........

if the instructions say no ,then no..........i did try kerosene in my " kerosun" heater.the round ones that stand up , no fan......it clogs the wick.....you have to use k1 in those......the torpedoes,..i think you can use plain kerosene.....but i repeat, if the instuctions say no or only..that's what you better use.........
i have two kerosun heaters. haven't used them for a couple of years. put k1 in them and they still work great. whats the difference between diesel and kerosene? bill

i'm no expert....but different grades of kerosene are "heavier" than others..they go through different stages of "cracking".....have more "contaminants"....i don't know if that's the correct word to use.....it's like why i can't use motor oil in my home furnace...it isn't designed for it...nozzle design, pump pressures. etc. are designed for specific oil " weights "....the wick heaters have to use a lighter oil.............the torpedoes or other heaters may be able to use the heavier kerosene......whatever the instructions say

most people don't know that the crude oil that comes out of the ground isn't all the same......it also can be heavier, dirtier, takes more to refine........the stock market always gives the price, and says," for light, sweet crude"...ever wonder why they say that...thats because that's the best that comes out of the ground......

diesel will burn in the salamander but NOT in the regular heaters will mess up the wick and supposely not safe I use salamanders with #2 diesel in houses when I have work in the winter to keep it warm it just doesn't burn as clean If you have the manuals somewhere it says you can use #2 diesel it will puff smoke on start and when you shut it down

My question is why is kerosene so high. I paid $3.99 a gallon last weekend. Gasoline prices have dropped by 50 % and diesel is down also but not kerosene. I use kerosene as a added heat source at the camp last week. [/quote

better watch posting about fuel prices someone might get on there soap box again and get this thread deleted just ask Dragonrider

I have a kerosene heater that said to only use "white gas". When I was growing up, I could get that but haven't seen any lately. Is that just a better grade of kerosene? I been using standard kerosene but it does puff a little smoke when starting it or turning it off. Only use it in the shop so it's not a big concern.

When I was growing up, my dad referred to Coleman Lantern fuel as "white gas". There used to be a lot of catalytic type camping heaters designed to run this stuff. It is a very close derivative of unleaded gas without the additives. Don't think I would use unleaded though!!

I have repaired torpedo heaters for years. Used to do it for the farm store I worked at. Most of them are made by Koehring. Different outside shapes, same guts. We always suggested using clean kerosene. Typically sold as K-1. It stays thin longer in the cold and lights better. The nozzles in these heaters pull fuel up by creating a vaccum across a supply tube. (Atomizer effect) If you use heavier stuff, it might clog. Also K-1 has less contaminants and burns cleaner. I have an old 70,000 around just in case. It will probably get some use when we move out of town.

JB

I will only use kerosene in my torpedo or Knipco. These heaters will burn #1 or #2 fuel oil or diesel just fine. The reason I use only kerosene is the odor. They stink like h--- with fuel oil. It also can get hard to breath with that odor. When I was at home dad always bought #1 fuel oil for the Knipco. He used it to warm up a tractor or thaw a waterer outside and it was fine for that. I used it to work on my snowmobile in the garage. Big difference there. After a while the eyes would water and breathing was tougher. Another added bonus is the clothes you wore while doing the repairs would retain the odor for days if not hung outside. Spend the money on k1 kerosene or go to propane. Better yet install a hanging gas furnace that is vented out and just turn it on when needed.

I have a kerosene heater that said to only use "white gas". When I was growing up, I could get that but haven't seen any lately. Is that just a better grade of kerosene? I been using standard kerosene but it does puff a little smoke when starting it or turning it off. Only use it in the shop so it's not a big concern.

The only "white gas" I've ever heard of was gasoline from Amoco, right at the pump. It bore no resemblance to kerosene though, other being liquid and petroleum based.

I know BP acquired Amoco, but I believe the fuel is still Amoco (at least around here it is)

I'd have to re-read & go with whatever the directions said!