IGNORED

1983 parts interchangability??

Guest john castaldi

Guest john castaldi

Hi everyone. My first time here. I've always wanted a venture and now I got one. 1983 that is in ok shape. My question is this..... what years parts fit what bike? I see all kinds of parts on ebay, some say 83-86 and others say 86 to 94... but to me the bikes look the same? I'm going to want mufflers, and plastic pieces of the fairing and glove boxes. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. My first time here. I've always wanted a venture and now I got one. 1983 that is in ok shape. My question is this..... what years parts fit what bike? I see all kinds of parts on ebay, some say 83-86 and others say 86 to 94... but to me the bikes look the same? I'm going to want mufflers, and plastic pieces of the fairing and glove boxes. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard John. For the most part 80% of all the parts are interchangeable. Mufflers are slightly different, and if buying a used set stick with the 83-85's. Front fairing plastics are mostly the same, but you need to stick with what model bike you have for the inside panels. Standard or Royale. Here again subtle differences depending on what you bike came equipped with. I.E. Radio, Class System, Tape Deck, nothing....etc. BTW if you need a set of muffs off an 83, PM me. I have an extra set. Just keep studying the stuff on Ebay...you'll eventually get the hang of it...

John Welcome to the best website on the internet.

To answer your question from the saddlebag crashgaurds forward all of the plastic is the same other than the headlight. as lonf as like Condor said you stick with the same type IE Royale standard ect. the main differences in the 86 to 93 from the 83 to 85 is in the rear bags. You have what we all know to be a great machine and the 83's are the fastest.

Enjoy the bike and the website and dont be affraid to ask any question you may have

Jeff

Not sure I got it all right but here goes:

83 + 84 are the same except for the difference in models which is slight and can be worked with

85 the travel trunk changed and got larger, and it is the fastest of all.

86 it became a 1300 up from the 1200. trunks got a little bigger, trunk and side bags were bolted on and more changes were incorporated overall, + some changes in the radio setup

Guest john castaldi

Yes, I do need a set of mufflers, mine have some kind of other muffler jurry rigged on. I got the bike pretty cheap, not running, and stuck in first gear. Let me tell you somehting - it's not easy loading it in the back of a pickup while holding the clutch in. $16.00 worth of shift pins later, and it shifts fine. Waiting on a clutch cover I got on ebay ( this one was epoxied) and I should be able to fire it up. Mainly the plastics are all zip tied on, and weathered. My plan is to use some finish decorative screws and fasten them on. THe other thins is that someone put in one of those aftermarlet stereos that replaces the clove box cover. I want to replace the glove box and eliminate that radio. I am going to put in a small amplifier and use my Ipod or Sirius.

Now I am hoping for a good second gear, but I am planning on a complete tear down over the winter anyhow.

Once I see how she runs, I am going to explore some kind of free flowing airbox or K&N style setup. But for now, I have to clean up the buggered wiring and stuff like that and test ride it.

Now that I have a 'home', you bet I'll be looking for help! Thanks people.

JC

As for second gear, There is a way to repair it that is proven and fairly inexpensive. You can find all the info on it right here on this site. Just search "second gear" And you will have plenty of advice if you ask for it. might get some if ya don't ask.

The work is fairly involved and involves removing the engine and splitting the case. Not hard at all if you are handy with tools.

By the way, Pictures are required.

Welcome aboard.:)

Once I see how she runs, I am going to explore some kind of free flowing airbox or K&N style setup. But for now, I have to clean up the buggered wiring and stuff like that and test ride it.

Now that I have a 'home', you bet I'll be looking for help! Thanks people.

JC

Just so ya know, the Venture V4 runs like crap with the airbox top off. I think the Yamaha engineers designed the airbox as part of the induction system. Very much different from other bikes. If you want to try a free-flowing airbox or individual K&N filters, you will have your hands full trying to get it jetted right to run at all. I'd suggest using a stock replacement K&N filter until you get other stuff sorted out. You might find that the Venture's reputation as the "hot rod of touring bikes" will satisfy your quest for speed...a good running '83, run it to redline thru the first three gears...will take your breath away...really.

Also, plastic can be properly repaired with the proper 2 part ABS plastic epoxy, and missing plastic acn be fabricated and epoxyed on. Also, the epoxy can be molded and sanded.

Yes, K&N does make a filter for the 1st gen Venture and it does make a slight difference.There is also a mod drilling 4 holes into the airbox but pick up a spare airbox off of ebay just in case you don't like the results.

This site has a treasure chest of information on just about anything you want to know. Just do a search on any subject and you will find lots of stuff, or start a thread and you wil get several opinions, usually al agreeing...

Guest john castaldi

Well, I got it running ... motor runs great! The only issues that I noticed are that the temp guage isn't working and sometimes I get an icon on my computer display right above the oilcan that looks like a drop with a circle around it. Starting to read the manual I downloaded now.

But I do indeed have the second gear issue. Nothing but grinding. My question for the forum is, Will the transmission guts from an 86 1300 fit this? There's one on ebay.

Thanks fellas (and ladies?)

JC

JC Yes the tranny will work I just put a 91 tranny in my 83. The temp gauge problem is either the sending unit (the flat connector) or the ground wire is unplugged. the warning light is for the brake fluid, refill all 3 reserviors and the warning should go away.

Jeff

Well, I got it running ... motor runs great! The only issues that I noticed are that the temp guage isn't working and sometimes I get an icon on my computer display right above the oilcan that looks like a drop with a circle around it. Starting to read the manual I downloaded now.

But I do indeed have the second gear issue. Nothing but grinding. My question for the forum is, Will the transmission guts from an 86 1300 fit this? There's one on ebay.

JC

The temp guage maybe nothing more than a bad ground wire. Since the housing that holds the temp sensors is isolated by coolant hoses they needed to ground the housing to complete the circut. I may also be a bad sensor, which is a simple replacement, or the worst it could be in a bad guage, which isn't all that bad but you hve to get to it and you know where it is.... The temp housing is located on the right side of the engine just aft of the top of the radiator. The gears are interchangeable from the 1300 to the 1200. Have fun...... :)

Had temp guage problem when i got my first venture and it was just matter of tightening up wire ends. Those gears will fit and you can do a lot more to it as you do the gears. You will know it pretty well by the time you get them in there. Riding without 2nd is not bad at all just skip over it and you don't miss it after a while, but 2nd is a lot of fun gear.

Guest john castaldi

wow, you guys are @%$#ing awesome.

I'm gonna get that 86 trans, and look at the temp sensor tonight.

Hey,

I read during the developing of your griefs, that someone said that thermal gauge is the one with the flat end.

WRONG....

The one with the flat end is the thermal switch. the conic end is the termal sensor.

Any way, you cannot mess with the ends, that is the reason one is conic the other is flat, but if you read a lot on this forum, that is not warranty of anything...

Also, check that the housing aluminum piece is well grounded (small cable on the top of the housing piece. No ground no fan no temperature on the pannel >>>>>> NEW ENGINE AFTER

So be use to check grounds on this bike.

Regards,

Not sure I got it all right but here goes:

83 + 84 are the same except for the difference in models which is slight and can be worked with

85 the travel trunk changed and got larger, and it is the fastest of all.

86 it became a 1300 up from the 1200. trunks got a little bigger, trunk and side bags were bolted on and more changes were incorporated overall, + some changes in the radio setup

And you thought you were getting away with this comment! 83 Standard fastest of all!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup2::D

My 83 has the V-Max transmission runs out great,oh becarefull the 83's will pull the front tire off the ground in first gear.Lot of torque in the V-4 like having a V-Max with a fairing.

Buddy

JC

Guest john castaldi

Thanks for the connector info. The problems were a result of a previous owner trying to hook up a fan override switch. Sometimes it's unbelievable what people with tools are capable of ;)

Yet another question if I may.... Is the oil light a pressure switch or a level switch? The reason I ask is that the computer monitor seems to have a mind of its own (the gas guage sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes the battery indicator lights, sometimes not (voltage ok at the gauge). Anytime an oil light lights up, it sends my brain into panic mode. I can't believe that it is losing oil pressure, more likely that the indicator circutry is suspect.

Your computer monitor may be suffering from the common "Broken Solder Connection" syndrome. What you want to do is remove your dash and resolder all the connections on the pins of the connector. This may fix all those problems. A;sp, check for corrosion on the connector and clean as best as possible and add a little dielectric grease when reconnecting.

Yet another question if I may.... Is the oil light a pressure switch or a level switch?

It is a level switch, mounted in the oil pan. A low wattage soldering iron & rosin core solder will fix it up the cold solder joints.

My neighbor is a big VMax guy, says the airbox is tuned for the correct amount of air flow to the engine, any more airflow leans out the motor too much. Has experimented and found that stock is best. Good luck and safe riding!

Dan

Guest timshosvt

If you can find the thrust washer, new gears are not all that expensive online from your favourite site. I'm betting that the shaft is ok. Or, contact randya regarding back cutting the gears that you have.