IGNORED

Holy Moly...Oklahoma Speed Trap

dmoff1698

I think Oklahoma has found a cure for it's ecconomic worries.:bawling:

We were just notified by our SCRC State Officer that as of 1 November, Oklahoma has a new traffic law:

Anyone ticketed for speeding in a construction zone (any speed) will face a MINIMUM fine of $1000.00. Anyone who has an accident in a construction zone...the fine starts at $5000.00 and if a hiway worker is injured you are looking at $10,000.00 ticket.

Now I don't know about the rest of the contry, but here in Oklahoma they put out the construction signs and cones, then apparently go on vacation for the next 6 months before doing any work. Also, most of the time they don't work on weekends and holidays (or if it's raining, too hot, too cold, too windy, etc.)

I try to keep an ear on the news and there hasn't been any widely publicised discussion on this, so I doubt many know of it. One person said they heard a short on the evening news one time, but that was all.

So if anyone is passing through the OK state, beware!!:cop:

I agree with you about signs out but no work for 6 months. since i work for the FAA and the Academy is in Ok. City I have traveled a lot to Oklahoma. Most places I've seen in other states (including Ms.) the signs say,"speeding fines doubled when workers present". But if I don't see that sign I definitely slow down. I figure all the states will be looking to easily increase their revenue with this lousy economy. Louisiana HP is patroling areas they NEVER patroled in the past. And believe it or not Ms. HP is patoling I10 !! Will wonders never cease. So, all you Floridian leadfoots, BEWARE !!!!

If these States really wanted to raise some serious income they should be slapping heavy Fines on the jerks that cause MC accidents/deaths!

And if you folks think you have lazy DOT workers in your State just ride into Connecticut! Here you will see 2 DOT workers actually working while 14 others are standing around "supervising"........Grrrrrrrr..........

This past year I have made about five trips to Nashville and that is almost 600 miles round trip, all interstate, most being I40. With that being about 3,000 miles, I think I can remember one time seeing a Tennessee State trooper having someone pulled over, and it may have been a breakdown.

It absolutely astounds me that I can run 75 on a 70mph interstate and feel like I am running 30mph with SUV's and pickup trucks whizzing by me. I40 coming from Nashville into Knoxville is 8 lane and the speed limit goes down to 45mph. If you run at 65mph, you will get run over as 95% of the vehicles are running 70mph or more.

If I see an LEO, I just try to blend in and not be noticed.

RandyA

posted speed limits are superceded by the rule-of-thumb "go with the traffic flow". If everyone is travelling at 70 and the speed limit is 60 and you're going 60, then you're impeding the flow and a danger to other motorists. Are they going to pull you over if you're travelling at the same speed everyone else is? chances are not. but, chances are they just might pick you as the unlucky one out of the flow too...

Not to start an argument but this revenue argument is not justified. I realize that there are some areas around the country, IE-some small towns, where ticket writing can contribute to their revenue but in most places this is simply not true. Most states have it set up where monies from tickets go towards some type of education/general fund. As a nearly 30 year LEO me or my job have never benefited from ticket revenue and neither do the vast majority of police departments.

I live near Tulsa where there are tons of road projects. I hear you about the signs with no work. Plenty of that on Hwy 75 and others. But to be realistic for a momment...it's not about money...it's about safety. People around here don't seem to have a clue about safety. Most get mad at you if you actually obey the traffic laws in construction zones and tailgate you. I work for the local electric utility and have been out there flagging traffic. Most drivers only care about getting where they are going and don't care about workers on the road. I once had a lady force me off the road I was flagging for a line truck because she was tired of waiting. Fines get people's attention. Sometimes you have to get in peoples pocketbooks to get their attention.

Enough of my rant. Back to your regular programing.

I live near Tulsa where there are tons of road projects. I hear you about the signs with no work. Plenty of that on Hwy 75 and others. But to be realistic for a momment...it's not about money...it's about safety. People around here don't seem to have a clue about safety. Most get mad at you if you actually obey the traffic laws in construction zones and tailgate you. I work for the local electric utility and have been out there flagging traffic. Most drivers only care about getting where they are going and don't care about workers on the road. I once had a lady force me off the road I was flagging for a line truck because she was tired of waiting. Fines get people's attention. Sometimes you have to get in peoples pocketbooks to get their attention.

Enough of my rant. Back to your regular programing.

Most people only care about where they are going ,because it's way more important then where you are going.They don't care about the workers working right next to the flow of traffic.If there are workers present,you need to slow it down or pay at the window...

Now if it's not a active work site,I don't believe the cops should use it as a speed trap.

Indiana has signs in the work zones that flash 45mph,workers present.When they are done for the day,the signs are turned off..Great system in my book..

This past year I have made about five trips to Nashville and that is almost 600 miles round trip, all interstate, most being I40. With that being about 3,000 miles, I think I can remember one time seeing a Tennessee State trooper having someone pulled over, and it may have been a breakdown.

It absolutely astounds me that I can run 75 on a 70mph interstate and feel like I am running 30mph with SUV's and pickup trucks whizzing by me. I40 coming from Nashville into Knoxville is 8 lane and the speed limit goes down to 45mph. If you run at 65mph, you will get run over as 95% of the vehicles are running 70mph or more.

If I see an LEO, I just try to blend in and not be noticed.

RandyA

About the same here Randy. And Bigfoot if you have never seen a town benefit from tickets just take a trip to Summersville WV and go about 5 mph over posted limits!! You will change your mind in a hurry. They write hundreds for 0 to 5 mph over.

In NY, its only a construction zone if workers are present.

Also, I'm pretty sure that these would be the MAXIMUM fines for offenses, but the judges probably get some leeway in setting them, depending on the circumstances, past driving history etc.

As for more serious fines for causing fatalities for cyclists, I have to disagree, as I disagree with the AMA.

I believe that anyone who negligently or recklessly causes an accident where ANYONE is killed or seriously injured should face severe consequences.

I believe that anyone who negligently or recklessly causes an accident where ANYONE is killed or seriously injured should face severe consequences.

I'm a firm believer in that part.

Accidents happen and we know the chances we take ridding motorcycles. The guy that hit me was high, his driving record very bad and he walked without a thing. Shouldn't happen.

About the same here Randy. And Bigfoot if you have never seen a town benefit from tickets just take a trip to Summersville WV and go about 5 mph over posted limits!! You will change your mind in a hurry. They write hundreds for 0 to 5 mph over.

Like I said above

"I realize that there are some areas around the country, IE-some small towns, where ticket writing can contribute to their revenue but in most places this is simply not true."

But do you know for a fact the town gets the revenue or does it go into a fund such as education?

I know there are small towns that are speed traps, hell, we even have one in my county and they have a terrible reputation.

I was supprised to find out that other places put up constrution signs and nobody is working of weeks . And no sign of any work ever has been done. and then they give you a ticket for going to fast . Are they just tring to pay for the project up front????? :15_8_211[1]:

Like I said above

"I realize that there are some areas around the country, IE-some small towns, where ticket writing can contribute to their revenue but in most places this is simply not true."

But do you know for a fact the town gets the revenue or does it go into a fund such as education?

I know there are small towns that are speed traps, hell, we even have one in my county and they have a terrible reputation.

Meet a few from there and you know it is not going for Education!! It is a Speed Trap that has made National News. They are out there!! I agree this is rare. But they are out there. Most don't issue enough tickets. I have been working at a outside hospital this week and I go to work at about 80 mph to keep from getting run over. It is posted 70.

Here in KS, they leave the construction stuff up until it blows away or deteriorates over time.

We have double fines in construction zones, all the severe consequences for hitting a worker etc.

How here is my humble but very accurate opinion. If it were truly something the law makers were concerned about, the lives of construction workers, they would use DETOURS. If it is that dangerous, just make the traffic non existent. It may not be about revenue, but it sure as heck ain't about saving lives. Any bonehead could make traffic problems at a construction site less of a worry than the price of rice in China.

Here in KS, they leave the construction stuff up until it blows away or deteriorates over time.

We have double fines in construction zones, all the severe consequences for hitting a worker etc.

How here is my humble but very accurate opinion. If it were truly something the law makers were concerned about, the lives of construction workers, they would use DETOURS. If it is that dangerous, just make the traffic non existent. It may not be about revenue, but it sure as heck ain't about saving lives. Any bonehead could make traffic problems at a construction site less of a worry than the price of rice in China.

There are not enough detours to cover all the construction/non construction areas in Oklahoma. The orange barrell is going to be the state flower. The workers have banker hrs. and if you actually find a crew there are ten supervisors standing around and one worker actually doing something. I always know when I have crossed a state line in any direction. The road becomes smooth without potholes. It is embarrasing. People become desensitized to work zone areas in Oklahoma because there is rarely anyone there working the site. My rant is over.:cool10:

A laughable one: My daughter and were Mountain riding on a two laner in Colorado and came upon a cone marked section of the road with a Signal Girl and a Work Ahead sign near her.. We road that section of road for MILES and never did see another person OR any evidence of work being done or needing to be done - STRANGE..

A not so funny one: Michigan is in BIG TIME hurt over this economy.. I got ticketed last summer for 2 - I AM NOT KIDDING - 2 over by Bronson Village Police (tiny town on 12) who happen to be running radar right where their little village marker is on the outskirts of town.. I explained to the officer that I had a CDL and that us truckers have to really watch our point count - can be job threatening.. He says "we are running a sting and by law we have to write EVERYTHING over the limit - beside for 2 over there will be no points just a small fine".. I called the area court to find out what my small fine was and was informed that the officer was not properly informed.. the going fine AND points charged are the same for 1 mile over as 10 miles over.. THe clerk told me that I could fight it but I would have to appear in Court to due so - 4 hours from home!!

I later asked a State Trooper about this "sting law" that says the officer has no choice but to write the tickets during a sting.. He saidthat is absoulutly not true - the LEO ALWAYS has the choice to write or not!!! He informed me that a LOT of small towns are going thru very hard times right now and that LEO State funding is getting tighter and tighter creating a "bring in the cash or your out of a job" situation.. Apparently here in Michigan all that ticket money goes to the State and is used for LEO funding state wide!! BOttom line folks - if you cant abide by MI Law (and there are all kinds of tricky little traffic laws that NOBODY even realises exist) you dont want to travel here!!!!!!!

'Puc