IGNORED

86 Royale slippin and sliden

Hey guy's

I've been riding in the Seattle rain quite a bit lately and am finding out that my brakes barely want to slow me down:shock3:. I even resorted to draging my feet once.:starz:

Seems my pads don't want to grab unless I continuly pump the brakes while driving antisapating a red light or sudden stop. The brakes work fine in the dry just have issues when raining. Any HELP?:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks Chris

(Rainier Rider)

86royale

If you have to pump the brakes both on wet or dry roads to get them to grab you could have A: a leak somewere or B: air in the lines.If they grab ok on dry roads but not on wet days try changing the pads they could either be glazed or the type of material the pads are made of is too hard. If you do change the pads

it would not hurt to scuff up the discs a bit with emery cloth either.

Edited by saddlebum

Thanks Saddlebum

Brakes seem to only be an issue when its raining. If I pump them they will grab better. If I don't dry dry them off I don't stop. There is plenty of pad left on the brakes when I checked them out last month when I had it tuned up. I've had the bike for the past 4 years and 15,000 miles and have all records of service from last owner.

Is there a pad that you trust? I love this ride. If there was anything I could change on this bike it would be the brakes.

Thanks again

Chris

Chris....Before you dive into the problem I'd take a shot at bleeding the brakes first....Also, check the discs..rub a clean rag on the discs and see if they have any oily substance on them..I once had a braking problem that wound up being fork oil leaking down onto my rt front disc that I couldn't see until I rubbed my fingers on the disc...

I like EBC's myself, but most any brand should be ok. You might want to consider flushing your hydraqulic system as long as you are going to do your brakes. I like those speed bleeders that you can buy on ebay.

Give what Saddlebum suggested and rough up your existing pads first and see if it helps any. All pumping your brakes when wet does is to tend to dry off your pads a little from friction. I assume the pedal feels the same before and after pumping as far as travel is concerned...

If brakes work somewhat when dry and near not at all when wet they are either contaminated with oils or glazed. Replace them with the aforementioned EBC and you'll be very happy. Replace all three at the same time and you'll think its a different bike.

Thanks everyone. I will try all your ideas starting with the emory cloth. I just put new tires on last month wish I had put brakes on also. Mechnic said brakes were fine so I let it go. I've never ridden in so much rain before and didn't have the problem in the dry.

Thanks again.

Chris:fingers-crossed-emo

Replace the Pads, and Replace ALL of the Fluid.

Front and back.

Use Dot -4 fluid, or Valvoline Synthetic fluid.

Check for any sign of Fork Oil leaking onto the Caliper assemblies.

I drive in the Rain, all the time ( IN SEATTLE ) and what you are reporting

Is Not Normal !!!!

Stop Rideing the bike untill you get it fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!