IGNORED

Got My '83 VR Today.

NLAlston

and, don't forget a ball-peen hammer and some silcone! :D

oh yes...nylon ties and electrical tape.

be aware, that not all "phillips head screwdrivers" will work properly, on metric screws.

seems that the jap phillipps heads are a tad different ,than ours, although they are NO T REED AND PRINCE" type either.

just jt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

be aware, that not all "phillips head screwdrivers" will work properly, on metric screws.

seems that the jap phillipps heads are a tad different ,than ours, although they are NO T REED AND PRINCE" type either.

just jt

you quoted my post in error????

N-E-Wayz, regarding the phillips screwdrivers, there are basically 3 sizes and generally you'll need the middle and largest ones. It's usually handier to have an interchangeable bit type.

Having worked on many bikes, I've not found any instance that these would not work unless they are worn out. If a screw is too tight, a couple hard taps ...(with a ball-peen hammer of course!)...on the end of the screw driver (preferrably using the "bit" only of a removable or changeable bit screwdriver and not on the end of the screwdriver itself)...will loosen the screw enuf to turn it. Be careful doing this when it's the screws holding the plastic components on (now how do I know this?) LOL

Just duplicate whats in the Kit with high quality tools.

Be sure to get 6 pt sockets, not 12 point.

And Metric Allen wrench's

Also at some point you will need a large torque Wrench ( 100 ft. lb. )

keep an eye out for one at a garage sale.

Hi.

I wouldn't know what to duplicate, from the stock toolkit, because my bike didn't come with one. But I will get a 6-pt Metric socket set, as well as Metric Allen wrenches. HF (Harbor Freight) often has a sale on their Torque wrenches, and I will get a large one of those, too. The only thing that really concerns me is the "Dip-Stick" which (I read) was included in the stock toolkit.

Oh, by the way - I heard from the cycle shop's service dept., just a little earlier today. It turns out that they are rebuilding the Carb. They also stated that it could be done as early as sometime tomorrow. But (as bad as I would like to have my bike here) they can take all the time they need, to get it 'right'. I don't know what a job like that would cost, out of pocket, but - whatever it is - I am SO thankful that the dealership is handling it. It's a Blessing, indeed.

The whole bike is a repaint. Royales were gold in '83. If there's a difference in the shades of red it may have been repainted at different times using different sources for the paint. It's tough matching reds and yellows. The finish looks pretty nice, but it doesn't reflect the condition of the rest of the bike. You may be dealing with a rebuilt parts bike. If you don't mind me asking, what is the milage and what did you have to give for it? These are two things that make a big difference in an acceptable condition. I would have thought that coming from a dealer the bike would have ran like a top from the get-go. If it ran that badly from the start, I'd suspect that the dealer may have played hot potato with you.

Hi Condor,

I wouldn't mind, at all, sharing the requested information with you. As far as the mileage is concerned, all I know is that there were 20K+ miles showing on the speedometer. Original? That's what I was told (but you know how THAT often goes). Just over $2,900 got me the bike, helmet, jacket, plates & taxes.

They keep telling me about the previous owner, and how much work he had performed on the bike - but never anything about the nature of corrections or repairs made, outside of the water pump that was supposed to have been replaced in September of '06 and (I just learned today) of how that owner had gotten a tune-up on the bike, earlier this year; put a little over a hundred miles on it, then brought it in to trade on a new Yamaha.

Yes, it is quite possible that I got 'stung', this time, and I guess that it serves me right. I should have went about this bike-purchasing-matter in a whole different way. But I don't think that I have any recourse in this situation. It is all about ME trying to make the best out of this issue, and the one sanity-saving thing about that is within knowing I have help from all YOU good people.

The whole bike is a repaint. Royales were gold in '83. If there's a difference in the shades of red it may have been repainted at different times using different sources for the paint. It's tough matching reds and yellows. The finish looks pretty nice, but it doesn't reflect the condition of the rest of the bike. You may be dealing with a rebuilt parts bike. If you don't mind me asking, what is the milage and what did you have to give for it? These are two things that make a big difference in an acceptable condition. I would have thought that coming from a dealer the bike would have ran like a top from the get-go. If it ran that badly from the start, I'd suspect that the dealer may have played hot potato with you.

Hi Condor,

I wouldn't mind, at all, sharing the requested information with you. As far as the mileage is concerned, all I know is that there were 20K+ miles showing on the speedometer. Original? That's what I was told (but you know how THAT often goes). Just over $2,900 got me the bike, helmet, jacket, plates & taxes.

They keep telling me about the previous owner, and how much work he had performed on the bike - but never anything about the nature of corrections or repairs made, outside of the water pump that was supposed to have been replaced in September of '06 and (I just learned today) of how that owner had gotten a tune-up on the bike, earlier this year; put a little over a hundred miles on it, then brought it in to trade on a new Yamaha.

Yes, it is quite possible that I got 'stung', this time, and I guess that it serves me right. I should have went about this bike-purchasing-matter in a whole different way. But I don't think that I have any recourse in this situation. It is all about ME trying to make the best out of this issue, and the one sanity-saving thing about that is within knowing I have help from all YOU good people.

Well, if you can't recind the sale, you still have the 30 day warantee. I'd go over the bike with a fine tooth comb, and make damn well sure they they don't just plug the holes.... I hate to say this, but if you can't get any satisfaction...take 'm to court. I'm always suspicious by nature, and the sequence of a bad water pump... to a tune up... to trading the bike in a month later, with anti-freeze in the trunk, makes me very suspicious.... Good Luck.

It's a shame if you got stung...I really hope not. I know what that feels like and it ain't nice but I think everyone has to get stung a time or two coz that's how we learn (at least some of us). And even then, when we think we're "on top of it", we get caught looking the other way and get stung again sometimes.

Is there any kind of return policy at this shop where you got it? Man, I hope this all works out right for you!

Is there any kind of return policy at this shop where you got it? Man, I hope this all works out right for you!

I can't say for any type of certainty that there is. There was nothing mentioned about that (return policy), at all, when I initiated the purchasing decision for this bike. I knew of all the things that I should have done, regarding this whole thing - but just didn't do it. I wanted the bike so bad, and just allowed that feeling to set up blinders on my sight against everything else which should have been brought to the forefront. I should have gotten all things told to me (pre-purchase) in writing. Then, I'd have a real leg to stand on. If defective issues continued to crop up, and I elected to take them to court, it would boil down to their word against mine. With no ammunition at my belt, I don't have to tell you what the outcome would be. I would, flat out, lose.

I chalk it up to plain foolishness, on my part, and just hope that I won't find myself paying too much, behind this. I only wish that I knew someone, personally, who knew enough about bikes (particularly the model line that I have) who could go over it and clue me in to the exactness of any possible issues with it. But I do not, and will just have to play everything by ear.

We live and (hopefully) learn :).

I only wish that I knew someone, personally, who knew enough about bikes (particularly the model line that I have) who could go over it and clue me in to the exactness of any possible issues with it. But I do not, and will just have to play everything by ear.

Surely some of our members live somewhere near you. I'd bet that at least one of them will assist.

I only wish that I knew someone, personally, who knew enough about bikes (particularly the model line that I have) who could go over it and clue me in to the exactness of any possible issues with it. But I do not, and will just have to play everything by ear (dinner?).

We live and (hopefully) learn :).

Bongobobny is just around the corner, Marcarl is not that far away, JGerom is a stone's throw away. Hey, we're all over you there bud, post away and you'll entice us to come and see you. Fact is that tomorrow evening, June 30, we are having dinner in Fort Erie, come and join us and see if we're likeable.

If the dealer does a through job on carbs (including diaphrams) I believe you will be fine and have a great bike that will take you lots of joyous miles, when you pick the bike up start it there and let it warm up completly ride around the block a time or two or three and then put the bike on the centerstand leave it running and check your gages (temp for sure)if everything looks good (cool and no leaks) turn the bike off, let it sit and have the dealer buy you a soda while the bike cools. after the bike cools down for awhile check it again for leaks or signs of leaks and check the oil for level and contamination. If no leaks and everything looks good you will most likely have a great bike, if not you are still at the dealers and you can have what needs fixed fixed, at his cost.

sorry for the long post but hope this helps some and we will help you enjoy that sweet ride as much as possible.

:7_6_3[1]:

If the dealer does a through job on carbs (including diaphrams) I believe you will be fine and have a great bike that will take you lots of joyous miles, when you pick the bike up start it there and let it warm up completly ride around the block a time or two or three and then put the bike on the centerstand leave it running and check your gages (temp for sure)if everything looks good (cool and no leaks) turn the bike off, let it sit and have the dealer buy you a soda while the bike cools. after the bike cools down for awhile check it again for leaks or signs of leaks and check the oil for level and contamination. If no leaks and everything looks good you will most likely have a great bike, if not you are still at the dealers and you can have what needs fixed fixed, at his cost.

sorry for the long post but hope this helps some and we will help you enjoy that sweet ride as much as possible.

:7_6_3[1]:

Long post? Perish that thought :). I can't tell you how it means to receive the helpfulness BEING gained from you all. So ANY amount of info (it could be a tome :), for that matter) would always be greatly appreciated. For the record...I will do exactly as you have suggested, when my bike is ready for pickup.

Bongobobny is just around the corner, Marcarl is not that far away, JGerom is a stone's throw away. Hey, we're all over you there bud, post away and you'll entice us to come and see you. Fact is that tomorrow evening, June 30, we are having dinner in Fort Erie, come and join us and see if we're likeable.

That's great. I am always into taking little trips on my bike, and getting to personally meet some of the members, here, would be icing on the cake. I wish that I could make that dinner engagement in Fort Erie, tomorrow evening, but it turns out the we'll have an evening function to attend here. I will, however, go through the 'Member's List' to who is where, and maybe be successful in setting up something whereby I'd be able to meet them.

Thanks again.

Yes, I am about 40 miles south of you in Arcade! Just read this thead. By any chance is the dealer located on Main St. in Clarence?? Got mixed feelings about good old Don. I do my own work whenever possible. My local dealer is Pioneer Motorsports around the corner from me and their work seems satisfactory but they are a little high priced IMHO.

Anyways, hope things work out for you and if you need any spare parts, I have a lot, including a whole spare bike which I may or may not convert into a chopper in the future. I'll be glad to offer any advice and help when I can. There are a coupe of other 1st gen owners closer to you in Clarence, Amherst, West Seneca, and Niagara Falls as well. Just go to the member list, and look by state. You may even find someone almost next door to you

"I would have thought that coming from a dealer the bike would have ran like a top from the get-go."

Please, Condor, you think too much! I think standard fare on a trade-in is a detailed wash and maybe an oil change. Those guys want to maximize their profit. However, the fact that they're working on the carbs bodes well.

I really like cliffno350's idea for when you pick up the bike. It will give you a very good chance of finding a coolant leak if there is one. I have a couple things to add. Use your nose - coolant tastes and smells sweet, and if there is much of an external leak you will smell it. He mentioned checking your oil, and you mentioned a dipstick a while back. There is no dipstick; you check the oil by putting the bike on the centerstand on a level surface and look in a sight glass on the lower RH side of the engine. This allows you to see the level and something of the condition of the oil. They should have changed it so it should be pretty much golden like new oil, although my bike turns it dark pretty quickly. (BTW, dark, dirty oil is not an indication that the oil is worn-out or necessarily needs changing.) If there is coolant in it, it will look like a light chocolate milkshake.

Jeremy

He mentioned checking your oil, and you mentioned a dipstick a while back. There is no dipstick; you check the oil by putting the bike on the centerstand on a level surface and look in a sight glass on the lower RH side of the engine.

Jeremy

The dipstick referred to, is part of the oem toolkit, for checking the rear end oil level. I previously did a measured fill of mine & the gear oil level was at the bottom of the threads of the filler plug opening. So is the dipstick needed, not really once you know where the proper fill level is.

Yes, I am about 40 miles south of you in Arcade! Just read this thead. By any chance is the dealer located on Main St. in Clarence?? Got mixed feelings about good old Don. I do my own work whenever possible. My local dealer is Pioneer Motorsports around the corner from me and their work seems satisfactory but they are a little high priced IMHO.

Anyways, hope things work out for you and if you need any spare parts, I have a lot, including a whole spare bike which I may or may not convert into a chopper in the future. I'll be glad to offer any advice and help when I can. There are a coupe of other 1st gen owners closer to you in Clarence, Amherst, West Seneca, and Niagara Falls as well. Just go to the member list, and look by state. You may even find someone almost next door to you

Hey Bongobobny,

Thanks. It would be a treat meeting with you, and some others, in the not too distant future. As soon as I get my bike back, I am journeying SOMEWHERE :).

No, I did not get my bike from Don's place. I know of his place because that was where my former friend bought his 1st Gen VR, some 16 years ago. I got mine from a bike outlet on Military RD. I have really tried keeping myself in a fair & understanding mental arena, over the matter of my bike, but I am all but depleted, now, of confidence with the dealer. They have had my bike since last Tuesday (picked up on the SAME day that I took possession of it), and I was told that they were rebuilding the carburetor. I stopped in there today, and was informed that there were major issues with the bike. I am now told that, apparently, someone left the bike stored with old gas in it, and that this fuel caused some rubber parts to become defective. It was stated that the mechanic (who was away from the shop, today, due to an emergency) was going to take those needed parts from a Yamaha VMax, and install them in my bike - and it is supposed to be ready for me tomorrow.

I wonder if this latest development is supposed to be in conjunction with the carb rebuild, OR is it to be their total effort at a 'fix'. Whatever the resulting case of it is to be, I would have no way of knowing. I guess that I'd better try to stock up on some nice tools and manuals, because it's kinda looking like I may be having to get ready for the mechanic's hat :).

Ok, what you said in your last post, is pretty much what I figured, after you listed what happened when you took it for the first ride.

-- Sounds like they will put in New or at least different Carb diaphrams, complete take apart, and rebuild on the carbs, and also new Floats, and float valve's.

--- And I hope the drain and clean the gas tank. and new fuel filter, and obviously a Carb Sync, or it would run like you know what.

--- Anyway, If it Runs Reasonable well at all when you get it back, after thinking about, it, and if they don't charge you any Extra, !!! Well, you got about $300 bucks worth of parts, and maby 3 to 4 hundred worth of Retail labor thrown in.

--- Any word yet from them, if they are going to charge you any Extra ?? I would hope not.

So, you lost a week or so of rideing time, But maby you got the biggest problem on it fixed, for a not to bad price !! Hmmmm

...Extra week of riding time?? Around here in the Buffalo area that's almost half of our riding season!!:banana::banana:

Yes, that sounds typical to have problems like that with a combination of bad gas and rubber drying out from lack of use. Indeed make sure they flushed your gas tank, and put some Gas Stabilizer in the tank. I would also highly recommend a couple of good Seafoam treatments followed by a set of new plugs afterword as the Seafoam treatment has been known to foul plugs. You should be running fine after that! Enjoy and we will get together some time soon!

Ok, what you said in your last post, is pretty much what I figured, after you listed what happened when you took it for the first ride.

-- Sounds like they will put in New or at least different Carb diaphrams, complete take apart, and rebuild on the carbs, and also new Floats, and float valve's.

--- And I hope the drain and clean the gas tank. and new fuel filter, and obviously a Carb Sync, or it would run like you know what.

--- Anyway, If it Runs Reasonable well at all when you get it back, after thinking about, it, and if they don't charge you any Extra, !!! Well, you got about $300 bucks worth of parts, and maby 3 to 4 hundred worth of Retail labor thrown in.

--- Any word yet from them, if they are going to charge you any Extra ?? I would hope not.

So, you lost a week or so of rideing time, But maby you got the biggest problem on it fixed, for a not to bad price !! Hmmmm

Hey George.

There isn't going to be any additional costs for me to shoulder. Yesterday, I was told that it was a good thing that I bought the bike from a dealer. Had it been a private owner (they said) I would have been left on my own with the cost for repair. So, at least I don't have to worry about that.

If the bike is returned, riding like it SHOULD, I'll be a very happy camper. Our garage is unheated but, over the winter, I can (maybe) extend some TLC to the bike, and really have it better off for next year's riding season.

I am supposed to hear something today, but I don't have much faith in that. Twice, I was told that it would be ready for me on the next day. But that didn't happen. With tomorrow being the holiday, I don't think it is realistic to expect anything from them until Thursday, at the earliest. They could surprise me, though, for the day is early yet. We'll see :).

...Extra week of riding time?? Around here in the Buffalo area that's almost half of our riding season!!:banana::banana:

Yes, that sounds typical to have problems like that with a combination of bad gas and rubber drying out from lack of use. Indeed make sure they flushed your gas tank, and put some Gas Stabilizer in the tank. I would also highly recommend a couple of good Seafoam treatments followed by a set of new plugs afterword as the Seafoam treatment has been known to foul plugs. You should be running fine after that! Enjoy and we will get together some time soon!

Yes, I (thanks for the tip from you guys) already have some of that Sea Foam at the ready. I am glad, however, that you mentioned what you did - about first running the Sea Foam through, and THEN changing the plugs - because I would have reversed that procedure.

One thing you can answer for me: When they got my bike back, they informed me that these VR's are finicky to start. They said that there is a particular procedure for 'proper' starting of these machines, and that they would go over it with me when everything was taken care of. Now, it's been a long time (16 years) since I'd ridden a 1st Generation VR, but I can't say that I remember having to do anything different with it, than I had done to start my former Honda Sabre - or any bike that I'd been on. Does what I've been told, on this 'starting' issue, make sense? Is there any degree of validity to this given information?

Well Nathan, I've found that any bike can be finicky to start, each having its own personality in that area, but my Venture is no worse than any other. In fact, it starts quite easily. When cold, if it won't start w/o choke, I give it choke and it fires. When hot it fires right away. Yours may be different. My Virago is a bit finicky when cold in that it fires best with no choke and a bit o'throttle, but then I have to give it a bit more throttle while putting on the choke before I can let it idle. Listen to what they have to say. If it works, great, and if not, you will gradually discover what works best. One thing the dealers always seem to say is NEVER give a bike throttle when starting, but my experience does not support this.

Jeremy

Well Nathan, I've found that any bike can be finicky to start, each having its own personality in that area, but my Venture is no worse than any other. In fact, it starts quite easily. When cold, if it won't start w/o choke, I give it choke and it fires. When hot it fires right away. Yours may be different. My Virago is a bit finicky when cold in that it fires best with no choke and a bit o'throttle, but then I have to give it a bit more throttle while putting on the choke before I can let it idle. Listen to what they have to say. If it works, great, and if not, you will gradually discover what works best. One thing the dealers always seem to say is NEVER give a bike throttle when starting, but my experience does not support this.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. At least I have reasonable assurance, now, that it (that information) may not have been about my 'being snowed' :).

When I bought my 84'VR was in storage for 2 years, gas completely barnished. However, SeaFoam let me run it anyway.

However, as soon as I put new gas I have a full new bike.

Regarding ruber parts gone on the carburetors, then I 'm running my bike without rubber parts since I bought it, and it runs fine.

Regards,