IGNORED

Got My '83 VR Today.

NLAlston

...and what a huge disappointment I suffered. The bike was picked up at noon, and the owner of this cycle business did take time to walk me out to the bike, and go over some basic things about it (mainly its operational procedures). He opened the trunks, and there - in the top one - laid a full gallon of antifreeze. We both did somewhat of a double-take, on this, and I immediately began to have some concerned thoughts.

Why was that antifreeze in there? Was it something that had no bearing on a continuing problematic condition with the bike's cooling system, and just absentmindedly left? Or, was it directly related to his experiencing a defective condition, which required very frequent fillings? (These are the things which ran through my mind).

......................................................................................................

Then he proceeded to start it for me, and it was hard starting. He fiddled around with the choke, a few times, then got it to start. The bike coughed, for a little, and then began straighten up some. I finally got it to myself, and headed home. I found the bike to be sluggish, and then it began to backfire. The more throttle I gave it, the more frequent the backfiring became. When I arrived home I parked the bike, as I had errands to run which required my truck.

A few hours later, I returned home, and decided to take the bike out on the expressway. It didn't really have the 'pick-up' that I remembered my former friend's VR having, and I thought that (maybe) it might have been sitting for a good while, and just needed some 'pushing'. That is when the backfiring became REALLY bad. I mean, it sounded as if someone was shooting a shotgun right behind my head (I kid you not).

Then the bike began to lose power. Now (mind you) I am still on the expressway - with the throttle WIDE OPEN, and my speed began decreasing on its own. At that point, I opted for the nearest exit, and the bike shut off as I came to the off-ramp's traffic signal. I had a bear of a time restarting it (which I had to do numerous times), and - when it would restart, the engine could be heard in a very tired, lazy & sluggish laboring. It was all I could do to get it home, and more than a small portion of that distance was within coasting (because it KEPT shutting off).

.......................................................................................................

So now, I feel like a fool. Do you remember the cartoons where the character, in the aftermath of a foolish act, would stand before this wooden contraption with a rope hanging from the front - and a boot attached to the back of two sticked ends? Well if you do, you also remember that character pulling the rope, which would cause the boot to kick him square in the butt. If I had that device I would be on it RIGHT NOW :).

Seriously though, I hope that things will work out with the bike. The dealership's service department DID promptly send a truck out to pick the bike up. But being a much older bike, I am sure that they will NOT lean towards doing the best job that they can to correct whatever the issue(s) is/are - but will, more than likely, take the 'band-aid' approach - giving just enough satisfaction to last for not much longer than the 30 day warranty period.

When I do get it back, I am really considering taking it to another cycle shop, for the purpose of having an in-depth diagnostic test procedure done on it. I don't know what that might set me back, monetarily speaking, but it may be worth whatever the cost. Let me know what you think.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PICS????

I've got the thumbnails showing, when I view-back. Please let me know if it they still aren't working for you, and I will try just attaching a single pic to six different posts (respective of the number of pics). I also forgot to add, in my initial post, that the general appearance of the bike wasn't bad at all. I could have taken better pictures, but I was in a bit of a hurry. Allow me to list the few things that were wrong:

1). There is a crack on the horizontal fiberglass piece, which sits below the radiator area. If you look good, you can kind of see it. I didn't find it to be a big issue, as it was something which I knew could easily be fixed.

2). The windshield has some small, cloudy looking patches over most of the upper part. I would imagine that there is a solution which is formulated to clean this type of stuff off, without causing further visual damage to the shield. If not, then a new shield shouldn't be, in any way, cost prohibitive.

3). The three storage compartments are of slightly different color from the body of the bike itself. It isn't something that I would find difficulty in living with, but there is a color difference that I did not see, until I saw the bike in the light of day.

4). The seat looks as if it was original, and in very good condition, save for a ripping of the leather at the very front of the seat where it meets the bike's housing.

5). Lastly, the radio unit has problems. It does work, but I haven't found how to change stations on it. There are missing buttons, at the bottom of the radio panel, and the owner had a length of solid wire (which can be seen near the radio panel, if looked closely) which served some type makeshift manner for doing something with the radio controls. Just what...I have NO clue.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

All in all, I feel that I could be very happy with the bike (Lord knows, I can't afford anything newer) providing that the mechanical issues are properly dealt with.

That is a good looking bike you picked up there! May need a carb cleaning and diaphrams. I am not sure but many will chime in after me too!

I know mine acted similarly but cleaning he carbs (carb cleaner and compressed air) was the biggest thing and then the diaphram replacement fixed it even more.

Question: If you know, or can find out.

How long has it been sitting, not in use ??

Could be, just carb clean up, new set of plugs, maby water in the gas tank. Stuff like that.

when you go back to pick it up, if you do, listion carefully to what they tell you. ( make a list , and check it twice , then post it here !! )

Question: If you know, or can find out.

How long has it been sitting, not in use ??

Could be, just carb clean up, new set of plugs, maby water in the gas tank. Stuff like that.

when you go back to pick it up, if you do, listion carefully to what they tell you. ( make a list , and check it twice , then post it here !! )

I'll be SURE to do that, and will post back pronto. Thanks.

Sea- Foam and a set of plugs would probally kept you from sending it back to the Stealer. Do good Sea-Foam soak before you change plugs. Looks pretty good a lot of promise.

DITTO on the Sea-Foam!

Have faith... it prolly ain't nuffin serious.

2). The windshield has some small, cloudy looking patches over most of the upper part. I would imagine that there is a solution which is formulated to clean this type of stuff off, without causing further visual damage to the shield. If not, then a new shield shouldn't be, in any way, cost prohibitive.

I had this on a previous Venture....tried and tried to "rub" them out but eventually wound up getting a new w/s. Word of advise... DON'T get one from Yamaha!

3). The three storage compartments are of slightly different color from the body of the bike itself. It isn't something that I would find difficulty in living with, but there is a color difference that I did not see, until I saw the bike in the light of day.

I looked at your pics and there is definately a slight difference. My first thoughts are that the bike was re-painted with the exception of the travel bags -OR- both were re-painted but at different times and by a different painter.

I do like the color!

Remember, it's an '83 and chances are some (or a lot) of TLC may be in order. The main thing is that the engine and tranny is solid. Anything else is relatively easilly fixable and if you or a buddy have any mechanical ability, don't take it to a shop... all the help and tech info you need is right here!

Guest tnraven

Man, I sure hope you post what you find wrong with the bike. Your story sounded like an instant replay from last week with mine. I had the same problems even down to BARELY getting home. As I coasted into the carport, it died. I haven't fooled with it since. I am just assuming that I have a summer and winter project bike for now.

Good luck and happy riding

Almost definitely goop in the carbs. This is a classic story for people buying used bikes. Somebody buys a bike, then their life gets busy or whatever and they park it, thinking that one day things will change...but that day never comes, so they sell. But it's been sitting a year, or 5, at that point and the fuel has long since evaporated, leaving behind it's crusty / flaky / goopy varnish which plugs jets and passages at the drop of a hat. Good news is it might not need any new parts (except it probably will need diaphragms as has been stated - they're really easy to check). Carb cleaning is a bit o'trouble, but not too bad. Try heavy doses of Seafoam first and check the diaphragms.

Jeremy

DITTO on the Sea-Foam!

Just what IS 'Sea Foam", and where can it be obtained from?

Have faith... it prolly ain't nuffin serious.

I had this on a previous Venture....tried and tried to "rub" them out but eventually wound up getting a new w/s. Word of advise... DON'T get one from Yamaha!

I looked at your pics and there is definately a slight difference. My first thoughts are that the bike was re-painted with the exception of the travel bags -OR- both were re-painted but at different times and by a different painter.

I do like the color!

Remember, it's an '83 and chances are some (or a lot) of TLC may be in order. The main thing is that the engine and tranny is solid. Anything else is relatively easilly fixable and if you or a buddy have any mechanical ability, don't take it to a shop... all the help and tech info you need is right here!

You know, I really DON"T have any mechanical talent or capability, to mention. Neither do I happen to know of anyone qualified. I had earlier mentioned that I had no mechanical inclinations, at all, and I probably expressed that wrongly. Though I wouldn't know what to do, in a mechanical situation, it isn't though I would be adverse to applying myself toward 'trying'. My intimidation would be high, I know, because of all the numerous small parts involved - and the fear I'm sure I would have over not getting something back as it was supposed to be :).

A manual did come with the bike, but there was no tool kit. So, I will have to find a good set for a motorcycle.

you said they hauled it back to the dealer. Any word yet ??

Sea-Foam is a fuel Additive, available most auto parts places.

We all use it, very good fuel system cleaner, also Valvoline Synthetic

fuel Injector cleaner is very good.

Dealer is probably useing something like this on it.

Man, I sure hope you post what you find wrong with the bike. Your story sounded like an instant replay from last week with mine. I had the same problems even down to BARELY getting home. As I coasted into the carport, it died. I haven't fooled with it since. I am just assuming that I have a summer and winter project bike for now.

Good luck and happy riding

Man, I wouldn't wish what I went through on ANYONE - and I am sorry that it happened to you. I will let you know how I make out.

you said they hauled it back to the dealer. Any word yet ??

Sea-Foam is a fuel Additive, available most auto parts places.

We all use it, very good fuel system cleaner, also Valvoline Synthetic

fuel Injector cleaner is very good.

Dealer is probably useing something like this on it.

Hey Buddy,

Yes, they did haul it back yesterday evening, and I haven't heard anything on it yet. If they haven't come through with anything, by Friday, I will give them a call to see if they can share what the problem was.

I didn't think of replacing plugs, or anything, when that situation happened. I just SPAZZED :). But I have calmed down, and just waiting to get my sidekick back. I will be sure to get some of that 'Sea Foam' stuff, and I will report back here as soon as I learn the scoop.

Keep in mind that you didn't buy a new bike, and the starting issue is common if you don't do it just right. It's gonna need some TLC from a loving owner and we're here to help you along. Ask all you want and we'll ask back and then get you answers and guide you through. Don't worry none, you'll be on the best scoot going in no time at all.

Some of these vintages had a problem with an air lock in the tank. ike stalls and won't start. When you open the gas cap you hear air rushing in. Just another idea.

Seafoam and a little care it will be good as new. Don't get to frustrated.

Brad

Thanks Marcarl & BradT.

I don't have my bike back yet, but I will be getting some of that 'Sea Foam' tomorrow (providing that I can get to the auto supply store).

I am not really as bad as I have made myself out to seem, over this matter. And that is solely because of knowing that I have this fantastic place (full of fantastic people) to help me along with whatever expressed issues I may have. I will honestly do all that I can to overcome problems on my own, because of not wishing to flood the forum with countless concerns. But I know that you ARE here, to have my back with matters which are found to be larger than my understanding. And that, my friends, is priceless.

I'll confirm most of what's been said. I've had a few of these and the problems you're describing aren't unusual for a bike of this age. Usually can be dealt with by the likes of cleaning and normal maint (seafoam - plugs etc) so I wouldn't panic. If you don't like to tinker a bit, the first gen might not be the bike for you (or any other 20+ year old bike for that matter). If you don't mind that though, I think it's the best value on two wheels.

I would say that there should be some reasonable expectation of how it runs if you bought it from a dealer. I'd push back and get them to do some of the work (especially if it's a Yama dealer) - or make them reimburse you for at least any parts, chemicals etc. that you need to get it there yourself.

I'll confirm most of what's been said. I've had a few of these and the problems you're describing aren't unusual for a bike of this age. Usually can be dealt with by the likes of cleaning and normal maint (seafoam - plugs etc) so I wouldn't panic. If you don't like to tinker a bit, the first gen might not be the bike for you (or any other 20+ year old bike for that matter). If you don't mind that though, I think it's the best value on two wheels.

I would say that there should be some reasonable expectation of how it runs if you bought it from a dealer. I'd push back and get them to do some of the work (especially if it's a Yama dealer) - or make them reimburse you for at least any parts, chemicals etc. that you need to get it there yourself.

Hi Wil.

I really wouldn't mind tinkering with the bike, it's just that I (presently) reside in a total fog over & above regular maintenance procedures :). I DO know that the absolute FIRST order would be to find the 'proper' tool kit for my bike (as one did not come with it). So if you could direct me to just what I would need, in a 'good' tool kit for it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Really the most basic stuff is just a set of metric sockets a small extension and a set of metric wrenches and a few good phillips screwdrivers. The tool kit that comes with the bike is generic at best and I would only use it in an emergency. If you get into a situation where you need more than that you will know it ahead of time.

Really the most basic stuff is just a set of metric sockets a small extension and a set of metric wrenches and a few good phillips screwdrivers. The tool kit that comes with the bike is generic at best and I would only use it in an emergency. If you get into a situation where you need more than that you will know it ahead of time.

Thanks Thomas.

I will look to get a good Metric set, with a few extensions & phillip's head screwdrivers, TODAY!! One thing that the manual described as being in the toolkit, was a dipstick. Maybe I will be able to pick up the proper one from the dealership, when I get my bike.

Just duplicate whats in the Kit with high quality tools.

Be sure to get 6 pt sockets, not 12 point.

And Metric Allen wrench's

Also at some point you will need a large torque Wrench ( 100 ft. lb. )

keep an eye out for one at a garage sale.