IGNORED

Cold Weather Full Face Helmet ???

FuzzyRSTD

Does anyone know of a not so exspensive, winter time, full face helmet, that does not fogg up. I have tried the antifogging stuff, does not work for me. I also tried folding aluminum foil up and sticking under shield to hold open slightly, no good either.I have read a little on here about a helmet that has an extra shield for this ?? The local dealer could not help me, he said he knew of a stick on stuff or something like that ? I know there is got to be loads of fellow riders who are looking for a warm full face that does not fogg up ( so dangerous that I stopped riding until I can do better ). Thanks in advance.

Ive used my snowmobile helmet in cold weather as it has the doublewalled visor to prevent fogging. the outside layer of the visor gets cold but the inside of the visor isnt nearly as cold and really resists fogging. those helmets usually also have inserts to direct airflow from your breath away from the visor surface as well.

Here is the link to an SHC helmet http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=404973&kwtid=267827

Brian

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/images/helmets/n100e1.jpg

Specifications:

• The Nolan N100E is a high quality painted injection molded General Electric Lexan® EXL with outer clear coat.
  • Flip-up full-face helmet.
  • Scratch Resistant visor, injection molded in General Electric Lexan®.
  • Smart Lift allows the easy chin guard opening using only the left lever.
  • Removable and washable comfort padding; constructed with high-quality fabrics.
  • Sanitized antimicrobial hypoallergenic interior.
  • Microlock retention system.
  • Nolan Fog Resistant system (NFR).
  • The third feature of the visor is the "Nolan Fog Resistant System" or NFRS. The NFRS is a piece of plastic, most likely Lexan (Nolan isn’t saying), which fits on the inside of the visor between two pins on the main visor. When in place (it is shipped uninstalled) the NFRS did a very nice job of preventing fogging during test rides in temperatures from the 30’s to 90’s.
  • Double D-Ring Retention System.
  • DOT certified

Ive used my snowmobile helmet in cold weather as it has the doublewalled visor to prevent fogging. the outside layer of the visor gets cold but the inside of the visor isnt nearly as cold and really resists fogging. those helmets usually also have inserts to direct airflow from your breath away from the visor surface as well.

Here is the link to an SHC helmet http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=404973&kwtid=267827

Brian

Just my experience but,I had tried a snowmobile helmet with the double walled visor several years ago when I still drove a sled. It did me absolutely no good because after about a mile my visor was so fogged up I could not see. Had to finish the ride with the visor wide open. The helmet sat on the shelf for several years after that until I finally managed to sell it.

Good luck finding a helmet and visor that works for you.

I have a Fog City shield insert. It does a very good job of preventing fogging. I was warned when I got it that it scratches very easily. And much though I've tried to be careful with it when I clean it, I notice that it's very scratched up. When it gets so bad that I can't tolerate it anymore, I don't know that I'm going to get another one. The main reason is that I also wear glasses, which still fog up anyway, which means that when I come to a stop I have to crack the shield anyway to keep them from fogging. So what good did the shield insert do me? I don't know. You don't figure this kind of stuff out until you try one and use it. If you don't wear glasses, that wouldn't be a problem for you.

I have heard that rubbing liquid dish soap inside the shield and letting it dry like that without wiping it out will keep the shield from fogging. I've never tried this, but I might soon.

Another option could be to wear a balaclava under your open face helmet.

I do this and it keeps me nice and warm, plus they only cost around 15 bucks.

I do the same. I have a 3/4 with a full shield and I wear a "turtle fur" collar that covers my face and nose. Enough air gets under the shield to keep the fogging away when I'm riding. I do have to raise the shield when I come to a stop but the collar keeps me plenty warm. I also hate to wear a full face helmet. It cuts my vision and the weight bothers my neck on long rides.

I ride all year in any temps. When dry, the anti-fog stuff usually works well, but when the humidity is up, nothing works for me EXCEPT the special fog shield in the Nolan N100E and N102 flip front helmets. I love these.

The N102 is the newest model and also has the advantage of having a special place to mount a headset. The special Nolan headset is very expensive and only mono (if I remember correctly), but J&M also makes a headset specifically to mount in the N102. That is what I use. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I use a 3/4 helmet with a wool scarf wrapped around the back of my head, over my ears and crossed over my face, covering my nose. There is no face shield on my 3/4 helmet, and I don't need one - at least not down to 12*F (coldest I've ever ridden in). Every time I exhale, the scarf catches the warm moist air and spreads it over my face, and the air exits upward over my eyes. Prevents chapped lips, keeps eyes warm and moist, keeps nose warm, cures the roomatiz, etc. Only thing is that it probably wouldn't work well with a headset mic, but I rarely use one.

my hjc SL-MAX and my wifes SY-MAX do very well at not fogging I can close it down at highway speeds and only use the chin vent, when around city I simply crack it to the first notch which leaves a 1/8th inch gap opening on the shield and that works great for around town.

If I removed the windshield, I'd have enough airflow at city speeds to clear the shield with just the vent.... but that pesky windshield on our bikes cuts down airflow under 50mph.

I think the biggest thing to prevent fogging is to get your moist breath away from the visor or your glasses.

This is what I wore when I would snowmobile in cold weather. Its neoprene and it has a tube attached that hangs down that directs your nose and mouth breathing moisture down and away from your visor so you dont fog. I wore this out in -35 and never fogged wheil riding at 60mph, in that temp you still have to flip the visor up when you stop but as soon as you start up flip the visor back down.

Plus its the warmest thing Ive worn in the cold is it stops all air from going thru it, not like a knitted balaclavs that just kinda "sifts" the wind.

http://www.extragear1.com/get_item_99023_fog-evader.htm

Brian