IGNORED

Keeping Track of MPG

My last two tanks were 36 and 41 mpg. It seems to be fluctuating a lot. I have not synched my carbs yet, but I am hoping to get better MPG after synch'ing...(I run highway between 65 to 70 mph)

What is the best MPG on a 2nd gen Venture out there?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a First Gen, but it is the same engine. The carb-tune will help. The mileage an change a lot according to driving habits. I'll get about 42 mpg at 70 mph, and 47 mpg running along around 55-60 mph. If I really get in a hurry and run above 75 mph, it will drop below 40.....

I have been thinking, always dangerous:confused24:, that our mileage might differ more than we think due to how full we consistently get the tank. For example, if drive 125 GPS miles and put in 2.7500 gallons its 45.45mpg. Same distance with 2.70 is 46.296mpg, 2.79 is 44.80. My point is that there are many things that might be contributin to mileage and its consistency.

I have been thinking, always dangerous:confused24:, that our mileage might differ more than we think due to how full we consistently get the tank. For example, if drive 125 GPS miles and put in 2.7500 gallons its 45.45mpg. Same distance with 2.70 is 46.296mpg, 2.79 is 44.80. My point is that there are many things that might be contributin to mileage and its consistency.

Good point. Our tanks are small as compared to a cage tank, which we are all used to. So it becomes important to fill up at the same place, same pump, same exact parking position, same air in the shocks, so that the scoot has the same lean, side to side and froward to backward, as the time before. A small amount of fuel difference will make a big change in mileage calculations.

The RSTD will run under 70???:scratchchin: I have been getting about 37-38 (2 up) but I like to listen to the Kromewerks.:thumbsup: 17k and never had a carb sink but I have everything to do a tune up at hand ---plugs -Morgan carb tune -antifreeze-brake fluid. Just havent had the time. Buzz

Good point. So it becomes important to fill up at the same place, same pump, same exact parking position, same air in the shocks, so that the scoot has the same lean, side to side and froward to backward, as the time before.

Good Lord! Who of us really need our MPG figures to be that exact? :whistling: That's just too much pressure... :D Might as well add...you gotta ride the same way, on the same roads, with the same air pressures, same ambient temps, same wind conditions, same throttle settings, same speed, same day etc. etc. That's the only way to get a true comparison. :rolleyes:

I figure if you get anywhere between 36 & 41 you're within the acceptable range.

I commute 100 round trip to work every day and get 36-38 mpg at 65-70 mph. At 85 to 90 only 28 mpg.

I was hoping it would be better. I had the carbs tuned and synced right after I bought it. Then with more power from a good tune up I needed a new clutch.

Cody

I commute 100 round trip to work every day and get 36-38 mpg at 65-70 mph. At 85 to 90 only 28 mpg.

I was hoping it would be better. I had the carbs tuned and synced right after I bought it. Then with more power from a good tune up I needed a new clutch.

Cody

Hello Cody. Speed surely kills mpg. When was the last time you synched your carbs?

Good Lord! Who of us really need our MPG figures to be that exact? :whistling: That's just too much pressure... :D Might as well add...you gotta ride the same way, on the same roads, with the same air pressures, same ambient temps, same wind conditions, same throttle settings, same speed, same day etc. etc. That's the only way to get a true comparison. :rolleyes:

I figure if you get anywhere between 36 & 41 you're within the acceptable range.

Gasoline prices is on its way down, buy CNN states that if it ever goes down ... it will be at a slower pace from now on. I agree, 36 to 41 is ok, but after synchronizing my carbs this morning...I hope to get a better gas mileage (I'll have to wait until my next fill).

The RSTD will run under 70???:scratchchin: I have been getting about 37-38 (2 up) but I like to listen to the Kromewerks.:thumbsup: 17k and never had a carb sink but I have everything to do a tune up at hand ---plugs -Morgan carb tune -antifreeze-brake fluid. Just havent had the time. Buzz

It might be a great idea to synch your carbs when you get a chance.

Gasoline prices is on its way down, buy CNN states that if it ever goes down ... it will be at a slower pace from now on.quote]

I wonder when all the items we buy that went up do to fuel wil come down. not to mention in my work upholstery foam and vinyls went way up along with added surcharges with deleveries :confused24:

Not sure Mike. When it comes to gas stations, they are so fast to increase their prices on the pumps in a blink of an eye and it takes about a day or two before prices at the pump goes down. Tire prices, your vinyl and upholstery materials I think all are made from pretroleum products...so we should expect their prices to go down as well. The big question is 'How much will the price drop'?:puzzled:

I check my mileage with every tankful on all our vehicles.

For my 2004 Venture I typically get 36-38 mpg riding hard...hard being mostly in the 65-75 mph range with fast starts.

When I drive the speed limit and control the starts this will increase my miles per gallon to 38-40 mpg...roughly 2 miles per gallon more.

I should point out here that these figures are with the V-Max rear end in my Venture.

Also...prior to this change out I consistently saw 38-40 mpg riding hard and 40-42 mpg riding the speed limit and conservative starts from a stopped position.

Side note...recently I saw my miles per gallon drop by about 6-8 miles per gallon. After checking for vacum leaks (none)...synching my carbs (brought it back to being 4-5 miles off my norm) I decided to have my valves checked and found 3 valves to be off (too tight)...this brought my bike back to within it's normal historical range...36-38 running hard...38-40 running conservative and within the posted speed limits.

I should also point out that I only use Mobil gas, 87 octane...because up to this point in time it does not contain an mileage busting ethanol.

Guest Saddletramp

The Mobil gasoline that is being sold here in our area has a label on the pumps stating that it contains 10% etanol. Once in a while I haver burnt Gulf bought locally and notice a decline of 2-4 mpgs. Sunoco is a good choice in our area as well. Non- branded stations such as discount and others can buy off the open market so you are never certain what brand of gas or quality you may or may not be buying. The branded stations are usually the best to buy from as they are SUPPOSED to be selling what they claim but we all know that not all merchants are as conscientious as should be. The biggest factor is your right hand in the mileage game with quality of product being next. My mileage has varied from 38 to 46 depending on speed and driving charecteristics.

Looks like 36 to 46 mpg is the norm depending on the weather and how much do you squeeze that throttle. I am shooting for mid 40's and if I can get 43 to 45 mpg, I am a happy camper. Lately as I cruise down the highway and just like this morning, I maintain my cruising speed between 68 to 70 mph. If on cruise control, I would set it at 70 mph.

Looks like 36 to 46 mpg is the norm depending on the weather and how much do you squeeze that throttle. I am shooting for mid 40's and if I can get 43 to 45 mpg, I am a happy camper. Lately as I cruise down the highway and just like this morning, I maintain my cruising speed between 68 to 70 mph. If on cruise control, I would set it at 70 mph.

Is this speed a speedohealer corrected speed or the regular spedometer speed which reads fast and your really doing 5+mph less then indicated. My spedometer is of about 9-10% reads fast when I found this out I sped up to the real speed and of course mileage dropped.

I think it is typical for most metrics to have a speedo that is off. Just like my former Vulcan, the speedo read 5 mph faster. There were several ways to correct to the problem, but I left it that way. I had a feeling that my Venture's speedo is also off. From my previous post, that speed is what is indicated on the speedo....so technically if I am travelling 70 mph on the speedo I am only going 65mph.

I have calculated my speedo error to be 7% off. THe odometer I believe to be about 2% off.

Here is my gas mileage on a trip we took, riding two up and pulling a trailor. I do not drive for gas mileage but know I can get 50 mpg canadian (45 mpg US) if i keep it under 60 mph. Gas mileage is still better than the truck and more enjoyable :rotf:

Brad

The Mobil gasoline that is being sold here in our area has a label on the pumps stating that it contains 10% etanol. Once in a while I haver burnt Gulf bought locally and notice a decline of 2-4 mpgs. Sunoco is a good choice in our area as well.

That's interesting Saddletramp...Mobil in our area has not gone to any ethanol as of this date...where as Sunoco has had ethanol (10%) added the last year two years here in our neck of the woods. Pull into any Sunoco station here in Western New York and they are all 10% ethanol.

I have calculated my speedo error to be 7% off. THe odometer I believe to be about 2% off.

Here is my gas mileage on a trip we took, riding two up and pulling a trailor. I do not drive for gas mileage but know I can get 50 mpg canadian (45 mpg US) if i keep it under 60 mph. Gas mileage is still better than the truck and more enjoyable :rotf:

Brad

For 2 up and with a trailer and get 45 mpg, that is Awesome! :happy34:

Whenever I run the backroads, I tend to get better mpg.