IGNORED

i didn't see the motorcycle coming

hipshot

well folks, it has happened to me TWICE, in the past couple of weeks.

afternoon sun at my back, in town driving, preparing to make a left turn.

i look down the street a couple of blocks, i see a white,"dodge ram dually", coming in the inside lane. headlights are on, chrome bumper is shining like a new nickle.

i look a second time, to be sure, and lo and behold! 300 feet in front of the truck, is an all white goldwing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lights on, chrome shining, both blending in with the front of the truck!

i guess what i'm trying to say, is that sometimes you really DON'T see the motorcycle, even in bright ,clear daylight!!!!!!!!!

you guys be extra careful out there!

just jt

That's why it is called an accident. We are usually trying to form up a posse to lynch everytime a motorcyclist is injured by a car, but the reality is you have to be very vigilant about looking for motorcycles, and people make mistakes.

I am glad this time you looked again. :)

That's why you double checked. Its always had to see something coming at you with the sun behind it. Brother in law was a trucker for years. Killed a man in Texas after he pulled out in front of him in his pickup. DPS said the other driver was probably blinded by the sun and did not see the 18 wheeler with a Sailboat (Wide Load) on the back of it coming at him.

That's why I use a headlight modulator. Don't know if it would help in this case but it might.

no doubt in my mind, gary!

a modulator, would have made the rider VERY visible, as the sun was BEHIND ME.

all that chrome, and "driving lights", on both the truck and bike, just sorta "melded" into a "truck grille".

i have learned , a long time ago. better to look twice, than to wreck once!

just jt

Where can such an item (Headlamp Modulator) be puchased? And at what cost?

I have searched through the 'net, but could only find information on how to go about a 'do-it-yourself' setup. I am not that handy, when it comes to electrical issues, and hoped that I might be able to locate an easily installable kit (depending, of course, on its cost) that shouldn't require too much technical knowledge from the purchaser.

I have searched through the 'net, but could only find information on how to go about a 'do-it-yourself' setup. I am not that handy, when it comes to electrical issues, and hoped that I might be able to locate an easily installable kit (depending, of course, on its cost) that shouldn't require too much technical knowledge from the purchaser.

here's a fairly popular one...

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2 :080402gudl_prv:

also...

FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

I have a headlight modulator on the high beam. I have a modulator on the passing lamps that is activated by the horn. You really can't be too paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are NOT out to get you.:whistling:

http://www.comagination.com/modBike.htm

If you can plug in a lamp you are qualified to install the headlight modulator. Unplug your headlight, plug in modulator, plug bike into modulator plug. Done. Run the photocell along the wiring on the handlebars and zip tie into place.

Brake you take off your seat, split the brake wire and install the brake mod in the middle of the split. Then run the green wire from the mod to the Negative side of the battery. Done.

I have a modulator on the passing lamps that is activated by the horn.
I think I already knew you did this but seeing again in print makes me think what a fantastic idea that it! :happy34:

Even strobes (such as used in some unmarked police cars and tow trucks) would be a great addition. Especially when activated by the horn. :)

I think I already knew you did this but seeing again in print makes me think what a fantastic idea that it! :happy34:

Even strobes (such as used in some unmarked police cars and tow trucks) would be a great addition. Especially when activated by the horn. :)

ken.

i don't kow about the "legality" of strobes,but it would be nice, if they were allowed.

just jt

I wish I had a headlight modulator on my red devil. Every step needs to be taken to BE SEEN. Driver of the truck said he "saw The motorcycle and it was a ways off." CHP says the truck driver DID NOT see the motorcycle.

Who would pull out in front of a car or cycle pulling a long trailer? Even with another vehicle coming "a ways off". Why not always wait? What is the hurry?

I wish I had a headlight modulator on my red devil. Every step needs to be taken to BE SEEN. Driver of the truck said he "saw The motorcycle and it was a ways off." CHP says the truck driver DID NOT see the motorcycle.

Who would pull out in front of a car or cycle pulling a long trailer? Even with another vehicle coming "a ways off". Why not always wait? What is the hurry?

I've almost been hit by people turning fast in off a road instead of waiting. They were IN MY LANE after the turn!

Modulator is simple to install and worth the time.

here's a fairly popular one...

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2 :080402gudl_prv:

Yep, that's the one I installed just before a recent riding vacation. It did make a difference as I could see motorists start to pull out in front of me, then decide to wait (not all, but most). I procrastenated several years in buying a headlight modulator ($$), but decided the life of me and the wife was worth much more than $118. :)

I just installed the comagination headlight and brake light modulators on my 07 RSV. I already have them on the RSTC. They're the first upgrade I've installed. They're not idiot proof but they do increase visibility greatly.

Next upgrade will be the Stebel air horn.

I just installed the comagination headlight and brake light modulators on my 07 RSV. I already have them on the RSTC. They're the first upgrade I've installed. They're not idiot proof but they do increase visibility greatly.

Next upgrade will be the Stebel air horn.

Safety chrome I call it. Gets their attention when needed. And I love the comagination combo. Nicely priced and I've never had a lick of trouble from the equipment. They ship quickly too.

Guest driscollms

I will add my two cents...I have had a modular for several years. I know I get noticed...people sometimes think a cops is following...anyway it is the best add-on and well worth the price.

Mark

Had a cage pull out in front of me today, a right-through-red turn, but I saw it developing, got on the horn and brakes, she shrunk in her seat at least, hope she remembers. Her daughter in the back seat might, who turned around as I followed them on my way, shaking my head at them.

The State of Maine put a shock ad together that I see often on TV in the past couple of weeks. The link is here, but don't watch it if you might be sensitive to a bike crash. If the shock value works, I'm OK with it - it was effective in making me sit up straight when I first saw it on TV. More like jump straight up.

The message you don't here in the ad, is "What will it take to make you look twice?"

Shock video:

http://www.wlbz2.com/video/news/player.aspx?aid=20045&bw=

You may have to click a link "Click here to launch the stand-alone player" in the left, and it will come up larger that way in Windows Media Player, for example. A little ad precedes it. I guess I have to thank the Mainers, it's effective... shocking at least. It's a good step in the right direction to promote awareness.

A tool they teach in our "Coaching the Emergency Vehicle Operators" class is to always know what is beside, behind and in front of you. That saved me a couple of years ago heading for Sturgis. I was the last bike of 4. Little old lady let the first 3 bikes go and then turned left in front of me! Knowing there was nobody behind her, cuz I'd checked, allowed me to lean hard into her lane and slip right behind her. I'm not sure she ever did see me. Had a major pucker factor going at 75 mph!

Stay safe!