IGNORED

Close Call This Morning

SaltyDawg

Well I really don't know where to start. I've had some close calls in my days, but this morning was almost too close.

To set the scene, it was around 7 am running a little late which knocked this creature of habit off a little. Overcast, wet roads but it was daylight. I ride with my bright lights and passing lights ALL THE TIME and at night or low light conditions I always have my High Intensity LED's on. All 134 of those Green Suckers. Honestly it's extremely hard to not see my bike.

Coming up on a traffic signal (which was green for me)at 60Mph I noticed that cars at the traffic light entering the highway were stopped. On the other side of the light was a gas station and as I was approaching the intersection I saw a car leave the pumps, ok nothing out of the ordinary here. Well this MORON didn't even slow down and just left the pump and shot right out into my lane. I was literally no more than 40 feet away doing 60 in the same lane. Now here is where having situational awareness saved my bacon. Coming up to the intersection I had observed an SUV barreling up in the left hand lane, well he was passing me and the Moron who pulled out in front of me at the same time, the whole time he was laying on the horn at me because I had to lane split between the two or slam the back of the car that pulled out in front of me. No time or distance to brake and try and get out of that one, plus the fact that the roads were wet.

I went past the car on it's left at the same time the SUV was passing me on the left. The space was no more than a foot wider than my RSV. To say I was upset would be putting it mildly.

Once I got my wits about me I quickly stopped the bike in the middle of the highway, got off and was yelling, screaming, challanging, and threatening that Moron who had stopped on the highway about 100 yards back. I stood in the middle of the Highway for about a minute daring that jerk to come closer. Finally I came to my senses and realized I was causing a pretty big traffic hazzard myself so I threw a leg over and continued on to work.

I picked a bad day to be running late and forget to take my blood pressure meds.

Sorry folks I just had to vent.

Maybe sometimes most of us need to have a reality check to help us remember how many absolutely stupid drivers there are. You paying attention surely saved your bacon.

Two days ago on a 30mph two lane city street, a 31 year old guy in an SUV ran headon into a family of five in a Honda because he had looked down at something in his vehicle and missed the curve. He is now charged with vehicular manslaughter and a bunch of other charges. Another case of thinking about everything but driving.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Hey Salty , I live this every mourning at Hwy 172 and 24 . Jerks sucking on their mourning Java , on cell phones , ready the newspaper , blinding their view , etc....as the dart out into traffic from the 2 convenient store/gas stations . Either it's some Marine or some local loco that thinks they own the road , even if they are not on it . My hand is almost on my spit bottle every time I come to this intersection , prepare to hurl it at some A-hole whom isn't paying attention . Already have thrown 3 spit bottles at these jerks , had an intense conversation at the least with one marine whom I was just about to place his head into the front fender of his own cage . He changed his tune when he found out whom I was and what I could do to him if I pushed the issue to his CO , LOL !

If anyone needs combat driving training , Go near a military base ! Especially when they are going too and from work .

BEER30

All close calls are good ones...compared to the alternative.

But I gotta say something here. 60mph on wet pavement on a street with open access from drive ways or streets??? Plus thinking everyone's going to stop before pulling out in front of you...?? You've got bigger cajones than I have....

Glad you got to tell us about it.

When I'm passing a busy parking lot or gas station, I'm in the left lane, because I know there's an idiot wanting to tattoo my name on his bumper.

When I'm approaching a green light, I'm not doing 60 mph until I'm in the no time to stop zone; usually pretty close to the stop line.

SUV shadowing me in the left lane? I move; speed up or slow down.

Everything at the same time, throw in wet pavement? I'm already putting on the brakes, cause I'm going back to bed.

Very glad you are ok Wayne. I doubt that I would have been able to react with the same positive results. But, I have to agree with Condor; 60mph on a 4 lane coming to an intersection??? I'm NOT judging you, please don't get me wrong. I have no right to judge. But maybe your tardiness clouded YOUR judgement a little, and maybe this was your morning coffee to open your eyes and clear your head. You are a very lucky man. Unfortunately, my wake-up call was in NO way my fault.....but it opened my eyes to the realization that I don't need to be riding anymore!!!! God speed and Good luck!!!