IGNORED

Pure-One PL14612 vs PL14610 & fit?

Then I see this "NON YAMMIE FILTER" quoted in the tech section on my paperwork. I WAS PISSED when I picked it up I ask for this guy by name, he was off that day... Lucky him. I would like to add my own comment "PUROLATOR PURE-ONE meets and surley EXCEEDS that Yammie Filter". :stickpoke:

Please have your dealer read The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please have your dealer read The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)

THANKS Squidster!!! I will hand carry this to the Stealer and get them to adjust the record if possible. I would love to find a head to head comparison of the 2 filters and really wave that under there noses too. :no-no-no:

Yeah, that'd be great IF purolator claimed their filter was equal to or superior to the Yammie OEM one such as EMGO, Hi-flo, and Fram claim.

Oh but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act puts the responsibility of proving that the aftermarket part caused the failure onto the vehicle manufacturer... If they disapproved a warranty fix for a bad engine on teh oil or filter I used, I would be willing to take it to court. NO manufacture wants that bad press, it is cheaper to put a replacement engine in my bike than to pay some lawyers to fight the case in court.

Oh but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act puts the responsibility of proving that the aftermarket part caused the failure onto the vehicle manufacturer... If they disapproved a warranty fix for a bad engine on teh oil or filter I used, I would be willing to take it to court. NO manufacture wants that bad press, it is cheaper to put a replacement engine in my bike than to pay some lawyers to fight the case in court.

But part of the Magnuson-Moss act puts the responsibility on the consumer by requiring them to use a part that is manufactured to replace an OEM part. The Purolator filter is NOT manufactured to replace the Yammie OEM filter. It's designed to replace many filters for automotive manufacturers, but not the Yammie filter.

I use the Purolator filter because I believe it's a superior filter, but my bike is also far out of warranty.

Well I just went to the Purolator web site HERE and found that the ML16817 and the ML16819 are the filters to use on the 1996-2008 SVZ1300 Royal Star.

Too bad they dont list a PL series filter :(

I guess I'll have to keep a filter that is a for my bike in the saddle bag.... just in case...

Also I will probably paint the PL filter with black paint before installing....

the ML series of filters is only marketed by Purolator, they do not actually produce this filter, they just stick their label on it. The ML series is not the same as the PL series and is in fact or no better quality then the OEM filter.

I have not seen application data on a filter box for quite a while.

I have to look up the application to find the filter that fits.

But I have not looked at a lot of different boxes in a while, as my cages both take the same filter, my RSV takes another, my riding lawn mower takes another and my 1950 H-D did not come from the factory with an oil filter, but it does have a filter holder from a later production Pan Head on it that I have to mail order as the H-D shop does not stock such old parts...........

for all my engines (except the Pan Head) I use PL series filters or EAO from Amsoil, both are very high efficiency filters!!!!!

Once I look up the filter, I put the number in a MS Word document at home, so I don't have to look them up anymore, just grab the printout on the way out of the house when I go to the auto parts store.

Interesitng observaetion:

Amsoil states that the EAOil fiters are rated at ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns

Purolator states that the PrueONE fiters are rated at 99.9% ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001

I would like to see the ISO 4548-12 rating at 20, 15, 10 and 5 microns for both lines of filters..... I bet they would be very close!!!!! but the Amsoil fiters cost about 3 times as much as the PureOne filters....

Edited by KiteSquid

• 5 months later...

I have always done my oil changes.

I was installing my very first Purolator Pure One PL14610 and it won't go on. It will spin about two threads deep then stops. I spun the old filter back on, just to be sure, and it spins on and off no problem. The Pure One stops and I'm afraid of stripping the threads.

Any comments?

There are many of us who believe that Fram is such a huge POS that we will never use one in any application. I won't go into the details here since they are so easy to find with a simple web search on Fram quality. Just thought I'd throw out that heads-up here so anyone who doesn't already know about the issues can do some simple research and make their own informed decision. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Exactly what he said.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

This site here shows the PL14610 cut open. It's full of media from top to bottom. 92 square inches. He also has the Super Tech filter next to it and you can see the super tech filter does not have as many pleats and even though it is almost as tall, it only has 49 square inches of filter.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Images/OilFilters3.jpg

Good find and more surface area in a filter is good as it allows better flow or about the same as the competitors if its using a small micron filter! Say a 20. micron I can't see it gong any lower than that as it will restrict flow to much. A larger canister add a little more oil capacity and may have a modest cooling effect on the oil.

• 4 months later...
I LOVE the Oil Filter Purolator "Pure-One".

I have seen the PL14612 mentioned here as the equivalent stock replacement.

My question is the PL14610 is 3/4" Longer than the above stock 2.5" thus 3/4" of extra superior filter media.

Will it fit?

FYI: I climbed under RSV 2008 and measured about 1.25" between existing 2.5" Filter and the Frame. Approaching 600 mi Oil Change will be using Shell Rotellta T-5w40 from here on out.

Any additional 2 cents welcome too. :pushups:

Might just be a marketing thing, but the Purolator website warns against using the PL Pure One series on motorcycles due to the Bypass PSI requirements. They specifically recommend the ML series.

I have always done my oil changes.

I was installing my very first Purolator Pure One PL14610 and it won't go on. It will spin about two threads deep then stops. I spun the old filter back on, just to be sure, and it spins on and off no problem. The Pure One stops and I'm afraid of stripping the threads.

Any comments?

Hoping for some action on this one Bob before I do my next oil/filter change. Does it or doesn't it fit??

From Purolator's web site:

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/Pages/motorcyclefilters.aspx

The Purolator web site lists the pressure relief valve openning at 14-18 psi for the PL14610 and only 9-12 psi for the ML16817. The ML16817 is the filter recommended for our bikes.

This doesn't look like much a pressure difference to me, but I'd sure like to hear from others on this one.

Goose

From this information, it would seem that the ML filter bypass opens at too low a pressure (might not be good, could be by-passing too much) and the PL is slightly too high (possible overpressure?). What filter do you use??

(I have been using a Wix filter so far without any problems but was thinking about trying the PL14610).

The shop manual specification shows the bypass valve to be 11.15 - 16.72 psi.

Goose

Ross

Goose

From this information, it would seem that the ML filter bypass opens at too low a pressure (might not be good, could be by-passing too much) and the PL is slightly too high (possible overpressure?). What filter do you use??

(I have been using a Wix filter so far without any problems but was thinking about trying the PL14610).

Ross

I have over 70,000 miles on my 05, and I use either the Pure One PL14612, or standard Purolator L14612. The "12" is just a bit shorter than the "10"

Goose