Hi All,

Still working on the '87, coming along.

Alot of the engine has, what I would call, agold patina to is, from years of oil and stuff I guess. Waht would be a way of cleaning and polishing the aluminum, to give closer to a new look?

Thanks

D:confused24:

Hi All,

Still working on the '87, coming along.

Alot of the engine has, what I would call, agold patina to is, from years of oil and stuff I guess. Waht would be a way of cleaning and polishing the aluminum, to give closer to a new look?

Thanks

D:confused24:

David, What you're seeing is the old protective laquer finish that's yellowing with age.. It can be removed. I understand 'Goof-Off' works pretty good, although there are other products that work as well. Afterwards the finish can be left as is or buffed to a hi-gloss finish. Juwt depends on how much elbow grease you want to invest in your scoots appearance.

Hey David. I find one of the greatest things for polishing aluminium is a product called Mothers. It comes from your corner of the world somewhere. I used it on my old 1972 Honda CB750/4. Made some of the daggy aluminium look like chrome by the time I finished with it.

I used Autosol (comes in a tube..it's a creamy compound). For most of the work, I mounted a polishing/buffing wheel on my drill, cynched my drill into my workmate, applied some of the polish and buffed it out. It takes a bit of "work" and can get a bit messy but sure does a good job. Comes out almost like chrome.

Guest timshosvt

If polishing with engine in place.....I avoid Walmart at all costs, but they sell Aircraft paint stripper in aerosol can. I've seen it in liquid form in body shop supply stores. You could try Advance auto parts, etc.

Cover up frame with aluminum foil. If using aerosol can with engine in place, spray into a quart container while wearing eye protection, stay away from the concentrated vapors. Use a cheap chip brush to brush onto engine covers being careful to avoid gasketed areas. Remove with 000 or 0000 or gray scotchbrite pad. Rinse with water and repeat as necessary.

Follow up with your favourite aluminum polish. I use Mother's because it's easy to find.

Avoid the temptation to sand the clear coat off.

As has been said, there is a lacquer film protecting the aluminum alloy from oxidation. After the lacquers removal there are a number of products that can be used to make the alloy shine like chrome. Be warned though, that if the lacquer is not replaced on the bright work, oxidation will start it's work immediately. Unlike decorative chrome, which is a very shiny protective metal, aluminum needs protection or it must be maintained to keep it's appearance. This means weekly cleanings and polishings or the metals will become very pitted and oxidized and hard to bring back to a shine. A lacquer coating is a compromise, not as shiny as the bare metal but much more protected so that it is not so labor intensive keeping it polished.

Dick

• 3 years later...
Is there anything else besides applying a lacquer coating for protection?

Brian, since you are resurrecting a four year old thread and no one is taking you seriously, I will state that stripping the old varnish off and using some metal polishing does work very good. I have also used a buffing wheel on some of my engine parts. It also gives you something when you are bored and want to shine it back up.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Great minds think alike!!!! :stickpoke::rotfl::rotfl:

I'd like to have them do mine today:big-grin-emoticon: it would be worth it:thumbsup2:

Oh wait its kind of cold out and I dont think pic's would be PG here in michigan:doh:

maybe farther south you could get away with a PG rating where the weather is warmer:banana:

Yah!! Strip the discolored clear laquer, polish the aluminum, and reapply a clear coat to the aluminum and you will be looking like new for years to come. Or, you can buff out the aluminum to look like chrome but plan on waxing often...

I just did the casings on an 89 Royale this past winter. I tried Mothers, Never dull but the best product I used was what Silvert stated, autosol. I polished the casings right on the bike. I rubbed the autosol on with a cloth and then used polishing/buffing wheels on my dreamal. It requires a little bit of work but the casings came out like new. Autosol works great.

There is a product called "Worlds Easiest Metal Polish" that cleans aluminum better than anything I've seen. It won't take off the laquer but it will give a mirror shine.You can find it on the web. It is sold by a company called Satin Gloss. It is a little expensive if you by it by the bottle ($19). If you can get a couple of buddies to go in on a case you can get it for $10 per bottle. The company also sells some other good products including a "bike wash that is pretty good. I learned about this product from truck drivers that use it on pretty much all the aluminum on their rigs.

For all my metal polishing I have used NOXON for years. I live by the ocean at the Jersey sure and rust is very common if one doesn't keep up with their cleaning. Noxon removes rust and makes the chrome look as good as new. It advertises it is good for 7 metals and aluminum is one of them. You would be very happy with it. Plus it costs around 6-7 dollars a bottle.

Also I've found AUTOSOL does a great job. It's a liquid.

I've used Solvol Autosol (paste in a tube) numerous times over the past 30 years to polish aluminum. Does a fantastic job. Start out with double-zero steel wool and a liberal amount of the paste for the initial stage, once done with that, use a buffing wheel on your drill with more paste. Be careful not to "burn" the paste with the buffing wheel. Takes a bit of practise but the end result is a chrome-like finish.

EDIT: ooops... I replied not realizing this was an old thread I'd already replied to. Had to go back and make sure I didn't contradict myself LMAO!!

Would this work on my 2gen front forks? non S model

I can't say for sure but I expect it will. I used the autosol on the lower forks of my Honda 500-4 years ago and they came out real nice. Also used it on the Aluminum rims of my GMC van back around 1982 and they shone almost like chrome.

If it's aluminum and still in decent condition (not pitted, etc) then this stuff makes it look real shiney ... it just takes a bit of work sometimes.