IGNORED

To Trike or Not

Guest Oldsalt

Guest Oldsalt

I own (and love my) VStar 1100 Silverado. I have been seriously considering an RSV upgrade because I want to spend a lot of my future on the road smelling all those roses I never took the time to sniff earlier in life. However, as I move into my seventies in a couple of years, I wonder if I will be that comfortable on this big steed.

So, another option might be to keep my current scoot, and go with a GoldWing Trike or an RSV Trike. (Frankly, all the goodies plus reverse give the GW the lead in my thinking.) The question I have is: What is touring like on a Trike? Is it as enjoyable/comfortable as on a 2-wheel RSV or GW? I know it is different and certainly not the ‘rush’ one gets from leaning through the twisties. But will I find it fun and at the end of a day of riding will I be as comfortable as I would be on an RSV or will I be wondering why I am not in a cage? I really want to ride, but I want it to be fun and enjoyable at the end of the day. Am I asking too much?

Oldsalt

I own (and love my) VStar 1100 Silverado. I have been seriously considering an RSV upgrade because I want to spend a lot of my future on the road smelling all those roses I never took the time to sniff earlier in life. However, as I move into my seventies in a couple of years, I wonder if I will be that comfortable on this big steed.

So, another option might be to keep my current scoot, and go with a GoldWing Trike or an RSV Trike. (Frankly, all the goodies plus reverse give the GW the lead in my thinking.) The question I have is: What is touring like on a Trike? Is it as enjoyable/comfortable as on a 2-wheel RSV or GW? I know it is different and certainly not the ‘rush’ one gets from leaning through the twisties. But will I find it fun and at the end of a day of riding will I be as comfortable as I would be on an RSV or will I be wondering why I am not in a cage? I really want to ride, but I want it to be fun and enjoyable at the end of the day. Am I asking too much? Oldsalt

As we get older our ability to balance starts to be effected. Some sooner than others. I think that if you start to bang into wall while walking around, or occassionally lose your balance, might be a pretty good indication. I think that if you're seriosly thinking about a trike, anything with a reverse would be a smart move. Trying to push a 1200 pound bike out of even a slightly downhill parking space ain't fun. There are ways to overcome the lack of a reverse...coast backwards into the space... park dowhill and away from other vehicles.. etc. Riding in the twisties won't be as much fun, but slabbing it could be great.

Trikes drive differently than bikes.

you have to SERIOUSLY ask yourself: Why do I enjoy riding?

Then think about if a trike would work, a bike with a sidecar, or a cage........ like a a 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, or just finding a different hobby, like sitting around your local bike shop drinking their coffee all day, just to socialize with other riders......

We have a section on here for trikes and sidecars. You might want to read through that area and then get in touch with some of the members that are riding trikes. I'm sure some of them will post on here as well. Here's the link to the section. Hope it helps, sidecar might be an option as well. In both cases no more holding up the bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Margaret

unless they come up with something like the Vespa MP3 that still leans, I doubt I will ever have a trike.. to me it it doesn't lean it is not the same, and I might as well be driving my Jeep Wrangler with the top down.

Also I worry about trikes in general. As we all know, most of your stopping power in an emergency is the front brake. All the tirkes except the new CanAm (which does not come with all touring bells and whistles or comfort) you end up adding a lot of weight but no more braking power or front rubber to the road for traction. I wonder how well can these things actually stop?

Guest Oldsalt
Trikes drive differently than bikes.

you have to SERIOUSLY ask yourself: Why do I enjoy riding?

Then think about if a trike would work, a bike with a sidecar, or a cage........ like a a 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, or just finding a different hobby, like sitting around your local bike shop drinking their coffee all day, just to socialize with other riders......

There is a message here, I just am not getting it. Riding IS THE ONLY FUN IN MY LIFE! (We can pass on the down side to that, just accept it as it is the case.) I do not want to give it up. If the RSV is too much, I will keep on riding the V*. What I was really after was what is the 'feeling' after a day on a Trike. Forget the cages.

As to the link over to the Trike section, thanks Margret, I will check those folks out.

Oldsalt

Myself, I PLAN on triking my scoot in a couple of years. I'm in my 60's, and already lost a toe to type II diabetes. My wife is older than myself and still loves to ride. Sure, it will handle a little diferent, but it will still feel the same just touring around enjoying the sites. Performance and handling will be different but I can deal with it.

"So, another option might be to keep my current scoot, and go with a GoldWing Trike or an RSV Trike. (Frankly, all the goodies plus reverse give the GW the lead in my thinking.) The question I have is: What is touring like on a Trike? Is it as enjoyable/comfortable as on a 2-wheel RSV or GW? I know it is different and certainly not the ‘rush’ one gets from leaning through the twisties. But will I find it fun and at the end of a day of riding will I be as comfortable as I would be on an RSV or will I be wondering why I am not in a cage? I really want to ride, but I want it to be fun and enjoyable at the end of the day. Am I asking too much?"

Oldsalt

Ok since having my 05 converted this last winter and riding it since April of this year with over 10 k I'll try to give you my insite here thou I'm no expert. About half of that was on 3 seperate week long trips of between 1500 and 2000 miles total.

Touring on the trike to me is just as much fun as when I rode on two wheels. You're still out in the elements be it sun or rain, heat or cold. Yea there are pros and cons when comparing the two types of rides. Stability is a big plus. Riding in rain is much better and you won't be fighting cross winds or from semi's as the trike seems to just stay put. I would say actual ride comfort is the same too.

While the RSV doesn't have a reverse if you watch where you park and how you park there won't be an issuse. I can think of only about a couple of times I got myself into a spot that required the Mrs helping me get out. On level ground I can back up the trike with both of us on it. You're only concerning yourself with rolling the bike and not balancing it too. Condor said it pretty well on parking there.

Yep you're right about the GW's there. I went to a trike rally last June and that bike was the bike of choice it seemed when concerning owning a trike. A few Harleys which also have an optional reverse and the rest made up of various bike companies and car conversions.

As to stopping I do allow myself a bit more room, not due to lack of braking power but more for the additional weight of the bike. My RSV weighs in at 1260 lbs. with a full tank of gas and the normal stuff I carry. More weight just means a longer stopping distance is all.

Steering at first takes a bit of getting used to and I highly recommend a raked front as well. I can keep up with most riders in twisties thou it can be a bit more tiring at days end. Going thru curves and twisties I can now go thru most at 5 and most times 10 over those yellow posted speed signs. So you're really not giving up much there. Even when I've been with other riders and they've gotten ahead I catch up on the straights or further down the road. Beside at our ages most of us aren't into speed so much anyhow. Out and about on the bikes and just enjoying the experinces is what I find best now. Sharing the road with folks here from the site is a plus.

Bottom line I think for anyone is whether they enjoy bike riding, be it on 2 or 3 wheels. What I've said above also pertains to those who use a sidecar rig as well. Those riders do have some different handling quirks compared to trikes. Not bad or better, just different IMO.

Larry

PS: too bad you aren't closer to me or I'd let you take mine for a ride.

Guest Oldsalt

Thanks Carbon One...Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Loved your pics too. Well time to chew on things so will continue to weigh the options. At this point it is nice to be able to make a choice and not worry (too much) about the $$. One of the few advantages of getting older, that and the girls look prettier.:hurts:

Oldsalt

Guest tx2sturgis

I dont own a trike but have ridden several. They are a blast in my opinion.

One member commented on the front brake maybe being inadequate for a trike. What many two wheel riders fail to understand until they have ridden one, is that first, on a trike, much more of the stopping power is achieved by the rear wheels than it is on a two wheel bike, and also, you can squeeze HARD on the front brake, because you have full braking power available up until wheel slide without worrying about balance or 'tuck under'...at least not as much.

Two wide car size tires, along with large disk brakes, can haul a trike down QUICK.

Some home built trikes with the engine at the rear even omit the front brake, since its not all that useful.

An experienced rider on a well designed trike can out corner 75% of riders on an equivalent two wheel machine. Trikes are stable and 'articulate' turns with loose gravel and potholes, so speed does not have to be adjusted as carefully as on a bike.

Cornering will work your arm and shoulder muscles more, but you will grow into that feeling. Trikes are more stable in crosswinds, and especially while pulling a trailer. Rear tires last incredibly long, as compared to the single rear on a bike. They do tend to scrub the front tire more, so you may find that to be an issue. Trikes 'plow' thru turns, which takes its toll on the front rubber. Passengers on a trike will very much appreciate arm rests..since cornering tends to work their torso muscles holding steady in the turns.

All trikes have what is called 'head shake' ( which feels like a very minor tank slapper) and on different machines it will occur under different speeds and braking forces, but you get used to it and its not a problem. Trike kit makers have some mods they can do to the front end to improve handling even more.

Trikes can turn VERY sharply at walking speeds, all the way to the stops, with no risk of a tipover.

A reverse is not really necessary on a trike, because if you need to back it up an incline, you put it in neutral, step off, and grab the front or rear and easily push or pull it where you need it. Backing up on level ground while seated is very easy, assuming you dont have the wide floor kits you see on some trikes.

On the RSV, if you trike it, you dont have to worry about the bike's two main weak points: the rear drive diff and the weak rear monoshock.

Finally, fuel mileage will suffer somewhat, but not so much as to be a problem.

If your thinking about triking, especially if it will allow you to keep on riding, I say, HELL YEAH!

:missingtooth:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

One thing I forgot to add is that....at gas stops and meal stops...dont get in a hurry...people want to ask about it, stare at it, and have their pictures made next to it!

:photographing:

Well if you love to get "the wind in your hair and bugs in your teeth" meaning that you LOVE to ride rather than being in a cage, even a convertible with the top down, then ABSOLUTELY you should either trike it or get a side car!!!!

Ride for a LONG as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, Who makes trike kits for the 2nd Gen RSV??????

I would say go for it.

After I had a stroke I didn't feel safe riding my RSTD it was to heavy I dropped it one day and decided to trike it.I have put around 15000 on the trike and like it more everytime I ride it.Like Carbo One said it is just being out on the road around people you enjoy,and another thing when you park it be prepaired to answer alot of questions about the trike befor you leave.Jerry M

My only real experience with a trike was at a demo. I ran over my own feet!

I will say that a convertible car is NO substitute for a bike. I traded my Nomad last year for a new Miata. While the Miata is fun it is not a bike. If you need to trike the bike for stability I say go for it. You will still be in the wind!

I will not hesitate to go to a trike when the time comes that I am not comfortable on a 2 wheel bike. Its still a motorcycle and thats what I enjoy. I do like the looks of some more than others. From a mechanical standpoint, I would want a reverse. Would give serious consideration to the goldwing trikes.

I have spoken with many Trike riders who ride with the Patriot Guard Riders. I have not met one who regretted the decision to go with a Trike.

Do your research carefully regarding all make/models that are available. Ride as many as possible and trust your instincts when it comes to making YOUR choice.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Ride safe.

Regards..........Boomer

Guest Oldsalt

Now I know why this group has the well deserved reputation it has. We do share a common gene and I am thankful for the opportunity be a part. My questions have been answered and now as was suggested, it is time to do my homework. Thanks again.

Now I know why this group has the well deserved reputation it has. We do share a common gene and I am thankful for the opportunity be a part. My questions have been answered and now as was suggested, it is time to do my homework. Thanks again.

As of now I think there's only 3 companies that are doing trike conversion for the RSV's.

Hannigan, Champion, and Tri-Wing. Hannigan and Champion are strictly a factory or authorized dealer option, unless they changed since I did mine last winter. Tri-Wing will sell a complete kit for the do it yourselfers or you can have it done at a dealer who does trike conversions. Being as I'm a retired wrench I went with the Tri-Wing kit. Saved a bit on labor as well as incorporated some things of my own into the bike.

From looking at the trikes I saw at that trike rally this last summer I saw 5 other RSV's besides my own. The Hannigan and Champion trikes were nicely done and had some features I liked . Thou all who looked mine over were saying the same thing about my ride. :cool10: Like you say you'll have some home work to got thru and decide for yourself which company and model you like as well as whether you'll be doing the conversion or letting someone else do it for ya. :080402gudl_prv:

If there's anything specific you'd like to know concerning the Tri-Wing company or about my bike feel free to ask. Be happy to help out if I can.

Larry

I'm not a trike fan, but if I were to get one, I'd probably get the new Harley trike. That way you'll have coast to coast factory coverage.

I personally would rather have an Ariel Atom or a street legal sand rail over a trike. Still in the wind with GREAT handling.

I've done a little more research, I hadn't done it before as I've never really thought about trikes.. It seem my concerns about stopping not an issue.. There have been very little actually testing, but they have done some on Goldwings.. An 1800 can stop from 60 to 0 in 123ft on average. When triked they stop in 156ft on average, a little longer, but still better than most cars.

I also read up about handling, it seems you need either very stiff to solid rear suspension or a good anti-sway system to keep the trike from wallowing and leaning the wrong way on turns at speed. H&H uses the Lehman no lean suspension, and Hannigan uses an anti-sway system..

Hannigan always has several on display at Daytona, http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/forsale.html both at Bike Week and Biketoberfest.. Some of them are very sweet.. I actually ate dinner and shared a bottle of wine with Mr. Hannigan and his wife a few years back when I road to a BMW LT rally. Seemed like a great guy, he was planning a tour into Mexico.

That was when I was still deciding which full dresss touring bike was going to buy.

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey Salt, when you start to look seriously at trike conversions, you will see there are 3 basic types of rear suspension:

Solid.

Independent.

and Hybrid.

Solid gives the best cornering and lean control, but is a bit rougher riding. Call this type the sport model.

Independent gives the best ride but tends to lean out on the turns more. Call this type the family sedan.

Hybrid tries to be the best of both, normally using a sway bar to help control lean. And this one would be more like a sport sedan.

I like the hybrid myself, and I know Lehman can do conversions on almost anything. They are spendy, but it sounds like you have the greenbacks to get what you want.

Ride On!

Hey Salt... one last blurb on the subject of trikes. There is a new breed of them comming out that you may want to have a quick peek at and that is the Can-Am. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4456. The local stealer is selling them for 15-18g. I almost took it for a ride but I was in a hurry that day and couldn't. I looked "interesting" and was a departure from the standard looking trike.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest Oldsalt
As of now I think there's only 3 companies that are doing trike conversion for the RSV's.

Hannigan, Champion, and Tri-Wing. Hannigan and Champion are strictly a factory or authorized dealer option, unless they changed since I did mine last winter. Tri-Wing will sell a complete kit for the do it yourselfers or you can have it done at a dealer who does trike conversions. Being as I'm a retired wrench I went with the Tri-Wing kit. Saved a bit on labor as well as incorporated some things of my own into the bike.

From looking at the trikes I saw at that trike rally this last summer I saw 5 other RSV's besides my own. The Hannigan and Champion trikes were nicely done and had some features I liked . Thou all who looked mine over were saying the same thing about my ride. :cool10: Like you say you'll have some home work to got thru and decide for yourself which company and model you like as well as whether you'll be doing the conversion or letting someone else do it for ya. :080402gudl_prv:

If there's anything specific you'd like to know concerning the Tri-Wing company or about my bike feel free to ask. Be happy to help out if I can.

Larry

OK Larry, first question which I should have put in my original post...What happens to the factory warranty (Yamaha or Honda) once you Trike it? Is it stll valid? And also, I plan on NOT doing the wrenching myself, for a lot of reasons but mostly because that is not my strong suit.

Oldsalt

Guest tx2sturgis
Hey Salt... one last blurb on the subject of trikes. There is a new breed of them comming out that you may want to have a quick peek at and that is the Can-Am. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4456. The local stealer is selling them for 15-18g. I almost took it for a ride but I was in a hurry that day and couldn't. I looked "interesting" and was a departure from the standard looking trike.:080402gudl_prv:

These are not really new...the only thing different is that the rider is ON the machine rather that IN it, and it is affordable. Three years ago, I took the included pictures of the T-Rex, during the Sturgis Rally.

Here is a link to see them up close and personal:

http://www.campagnamotors.com/

And my pictures show one on display in Deadwood, SD in August of 2005.

Edited by tx2sturgis