IGNORED

Using the Volt Meter

The explanation of the volt meter function in the owners manual is pretty wimpy. It says if the needle drops into the yellow zone while riding, see your dealer.

So, electrical experts;

Can the meter show a weak or dying battery? Would that be indicated by a low reading while the bike is not running? If so, I assume less than 10 volts or so would be an indication of a weak battery?

And, what if the reading is weak while riding? Is that a bad battery, or a bad stator?

Basicly, it the Level of Voltage the Regultor is applying to the Battery, to Charge it.

It should be 13.6 to 14.1.

Use an Digital Volt/Ohm meter, to measure the Charging Voltage level. The Panel meter is really not accurate enough to measure the voltage.

A volt meter tells the voltage in your electrical system. It can tell you the voltage is low in the battery with the engine not running but that will not tell you the battery is good or bad just current state of charge. with it running it will give you an indicator of your charging systems operation ether high or low a high reading (over 15 volts) would indicate a regulation problem. A low reading (below 12 volts) could indicate a regulation problem a generation problem or an over load problem from to much draw or a short. The volt meter is there so you can see if your system is operating properly if you understand how the system operates it can assist you with diagnosis of the problem. Are you really confused now?

Are you really confused now?

Nope... not at all Redneck...

In fact, I thought it was very well stated ...if you ask me.....:thumbsup2:

Hell, couldnt have explained it any better myself.

Yep, me too. Just one more thing. If a battery reads 10vdc it's basically deader than a doornail.

Thanks. Good info.

Pretty much what I thought, but good point about "current state of charge" versus "battery condition" with the motor off.

Actually, it's not the current State of Charge but the current System Voltage resulting out of the Rectifier making up DC Voltage and feeding Current into the System and the Battery taking up these Parameters minus the Current which is used by the Bike in the Moment. So the Voltage is just System Voltage nothing more or Less. It does NOT represent the Voltage which the Battery is charged with or the Voltage on the Battery in conjunction with the State of Charging.

Of Course, as Redneck stated, the Voltmeter gives you an Indication of what's going on in the Moment.

I don't have any "doornails", all I have are "doorscrews".:confused24:

As far as being dead though... If ya look down on the molecular or even the atomic level, heck, even the sub atomic level where the quarks and gluons (and dozens more) are, There is a lot of stuff going on in there.:Laugh:

LOL! I just can't help myself sometimes. Sorry.

My gauge is accurate, but lacks divisions (gradulations, lines)

Normal readings:

Before starting, ignition on=about 12 volts

Idle rpm=about 12.5

Over 2k rpm 13.5-13.8, just below the only line (14)

Too high over 14

Lots of accessories will drop these #'s

The explanation of the volt meter function in the owners manual is pretty wimpy. It says if the needle drops into the yellow zone while riding, see your dealer.

So, electrical experts;

Can the meter show a weak or dying battery? Would that be indicated by a low reading while the bike is not running? If so, I assume less than 10 volts or so would be an indication of a weak battery?

And, what if the reading is weak while riding? Is that a bad battery, or a bad stator?

Get a cheap hydrometer at any auto supply or battery shop...That will tell you the condition of every cell hence the overall condition of the battery....