IGNORED

Water Pump Knock??

How does the Water Pump Bearing Feel ?? Rotate it by hand, if its bad you should be able to feel something when you rotate the Inner Race.

One more idea, Drain the Oil, be sure nothing comes out, except oil !!!!

( ie. no loose pieces of something else besides oil )

Well I did the Sync and no change. It was pretty much right on. I did get one of those stethescope things and the noise pretty much still traces right to the water pump. To eliminate anything deeper I tried the heads and the crankcase from the other side too. Still it keeps going right to that cover so it will come off probably on Weds.

If any one else has some ideas let me know. What kind of scares me about all this is that really no one here has seemed to have this problem. Is it that unique? If so why mine and no one elses. They are all the same.

Because you are the chosen one!!:stirthepot::rotf:

Im ordering all the seals and bearings. No sense putting it back together with all the old stuff. Bearing feels ok. Im thinking that maybe the spring in the pump is loose and allows play. The diagram calls it a seal but it actally has a spring in and keeps tension on the impeller so that it doesnt flop. Maybe its weak enough that its flopping. Either way Im just guessing now so parts are on order and we will see. Could it be the starter or something else in there?

Lets look at the bright side. If I have to take the motor apart to get to a rod knock or something then I think it may go up to PCW and get some real work. Maybe make it a 1500 V4.

Well I called John at PCW Racing and I will tell you they are awesome there. He recognized me and he literally spent a half hour on the phone with me so far on this and has given me great leads. Set my mind to ease on the lower end and told me how to check oil pressures and what to look for. He did suggest I may have an oil issue and that I should use a thicker oil. Not really thick but a little thicker. A 15W-50 Synthetic blend oil. He uses the Amsoil. I guess if you are building 200 hp Vmax's you should know a little about these. He doesnt think I have an water pump issue. He is gonna call me back shortly. If if does need to come apart you can bet I will make the trip upstate to bring it to him.

Long shot but if you figured it coming from the water pump is it possible the pump is cavitating ?

From my old school days I think it is when the water does not flow properly and causes a void, which creates different pressures. The difference in pressure will cause the water droplets to explode. I know this can be a very loud knocking sound. I have seen a few large water pumps (2,000 plus gallons per minute) tear apart the rotors/impellars and cause major damage to the casing walls.

Not sure exactly what causes it but may be worth a call to some pump experts. Our company sells pumps but I do not know anyone in that division, but I believe our York PA. office handles pumps. Company is Metso Minerals and the phone to that office is 717 843-8671.

Good luck

Brad

Guest Yamahawg

Just wondering if you have held the clutch in for say 45 seconds to 1 minute to see if noise goes away.

My bike is at the Shop right now being checked out for a miss. But also I have developed a Knock sound coming from the front of the motor. I've complained to them about clutch basket rattle. Shop person walked outside with me to show him what the bike was doing. Cranked the bike, knock and clutch rattle both were prominent. But when I held the clutch in for an extended time both the rattle and knock went away.

They are checking things out and still havent called me back after a week. Going to see them tommorrow. We let you all know outcome.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if you have held the clutch in for say 45 seconds to 1 minute to see if noise goes away.

My bike is at the Shop right now being checked out for a miss. But also I have developed a Knock sound coming from the front of the motor. I've complained to them about clutch basket rattle. Shop person walked outside with me to show him what the bike was doing. Cranked the bike, knock and clutch rattle both were prominent. But when I held the clutch in for an extended time both the rattle and knock went away.

They are checking things out and still havent called me back after a week. Going to see them tommorrow. We let you all know outcome.

You know I just saw this and will need to try this!! It would not suprise me as the Dealer who did the Clutch Basket also tried to make me think my brand new clutch at that point is bad. Would suprise me that they didnt do the job right. That was done at East End Motorsports They wont see this bike again.

I got all the water pump parts and rebuilt it and sure enough it made little to no difference. I also went to a 15w40 oil like PCW suggested and that helped a little but not too much. I think I will be bringing it to the shop. LI Yamaha in Hicksville will be seeing the bike for the first time since it was new. Guy I spoke to on the phone seems sharp so we will see. For now I will ride it till they have space in the schedule for it. Wish me a good dealer experience!!:mo money: