IGNORED

heated vests, jackets, and gloves

frankc

The wifie always gets cold and saw some heated clothing and gloves and the local leather shop. Now she thinks this the answer to her problem. Do these items really work or do I have to trailer a generator with welding cables to power them up? Thanks

As has already been stated, they do work, but the RSV does not have a lot of extra electrical capacity. My suggestion is simple - if using them, either turn off your driving lights or turn off your carb heaters. Either one will provide plenty of electrical power for heated clothing without overloading your bike.

If you do run it all together and over-tax your charging system, you won't really know unless you monitor both the system voltage and current flow. No fuses will blow, and the bike will run like normal. But it will be slow death for your battery, preventing it from ever receiving a full charge, thus needing replacement sooner.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I run heated jacket liner and gloves with no difficulties. Beware if you are doing much low speed riding. The stator charges based on engine RPMs.

To add some comfort to you, I suggest a small volt meter to monitor the charging system. They can be had for about $30.

Take a look at Warm and Safe for heated clothing. http://www.warmnsafe.com

A warm and happy rider makes for a good trip.

RR

Just would like to get some more definition to the issue and possible upgrades.

I ??understand??:think: the load issues at hand. I am also wanting to add heated clothing. I ride a 06 RSV. I think the stock stator is rated for 35 charging amps. Is this correct? Somewhere I read that you can upgrade the stator in order to have more / faster charging capacity? I am definitely over my head here. I spoke to a local M/C dealer and explained this to one of the mechanics and his response was not to favorable for this type of upgrade. His opinion, if room allows, is to go with a deeper cycle / larger battery. Can someone help me to better understand the electrical system....... please. I would like to do what is best for the entire system, without disconnecting anything if possible. Thanks for the time.:feedback:

Ricardo

A larger battery? Wrong. If the alternator won't put out enough current, it doesn't matter how big the battery is. A bigger battery will just take longer to discharge under heavy load. But it will still discharge. A bigger alternator is what is needed to keep up with the current demand and still keep the battery charged. Several here have installed Buckeye's 55 amp stator in this bike, and they all say that it works fine. You will need to do away with the plastic connectors though, and solder the wires together instead. But a 55A stator will put out enough current to run all the lighting you want plus heated gear for two besides. I want one of his stators myself. You will, however, have to disconnect a thing or two to get it in there.

I'm Running 2 full sets of heated clothing, for me and my wife.

Lina's set is Tour master Synergy Jacket 72 Watt's, Chaps 42 Watt's, And Gloves 24 Watt's

My Setup is Gerbings Socks 22 Watt's, And Union Ridge Overpants 44 Watt's, And Synergy west 52 W Watt's both sets are running trough controllers, so it's not a full blast all the time

As well I'm change all turn signals and tail lights to LED's Disconnect carb heaters and install one of voltmeters to observe charging system, if is lower than 12.4 V I'm turning down heated clothing.

Hello again,

Thanks Lynn and Dan for your feedback. I believe I read a detail for the swap on the stator. Just cannot seem to find it at this time. I thinks this is the way I will go. I am riding two up most time anyway, and will have heated wears for both. I have converted all which can be to LED myself. So, the system should run just fine. Thanks for the assistance. Talk back at ya soon.

Ricardo.