IGNORED

Be Carefull

Condor

While mooching around on the web...yes I do go to other sites once in a while... :) I ran acrossed this chart on the IIHS web site. Interesting and eye opening. I realize the info is a couple of years old, but the percentages seems to stay about the same over a 5 year period even though the numbers have increased. In the cruiser catagory, the largest group represented, and crunching out the numbers, we had 1,583 deaths in 2005. And if that holds true in our 5,000 membership board we can potentially expect a little under 3 to die. In the touring catagory, taking an estimated WAS, we'd loose 1. Not a pleasant thought. So be really carefull out there......

Wow, thanks for the daily up lift.......... I really needed that........:sign just kidding:

and I was in a really good mood.......... until I read this post..:rasberry::stirthepot:

Truthfully and all joking aside, We all need to really pay attention to our suroundings every time we go for a ride...:thumbsup2:

Being involved in Quality Assurance in industry most all of my work life, it is amazing how predictable statistics are. Most people probably do not realize how stastics involve our lives, from what our insurance rates are to many other things.

One other note, if there are going to be 3 deaths in 5,000 riders, there are a lot of riders out there and it does not have to involve us.

We have had four deaths locally this year and only one involved another vehicle. The rest were people loosing control of their bike and running off the road and hitting something else, usually from speed and/or alcohol.

RandyA

While mooching around on the web...yes I do go to other sites once in a while... :) I ran acrossed this chart on the IIHS web site. Interesting and eye opening. I realize the info is a couple of years old, but the percentages seems to stay about the same over a 5 year period even though the numbers have increased. In the cruiser catagory, the largest group represented, and crunching out the numbers, we had 1,583 deaths in 2005. And if that holds true in our 5,000 membership board we can potentially expect a little under 3 to die. In the touring catagory, taking an estimated WAS, we'd loose 1. Not a pleasant thought. So be really carefull out there......

Boy maybe you would bring cheerier info back to up if you would stay on you meds!!! LOL

I prefer you to tell me how many jelly beans are in the Jar!!

There is a lot of new people on bikes fro the first time out there with the whole gas thing going on. I have seen lots of buds go down through the years and a few were killed. It is hard to loose your friends to something we all love to do but hey life is meant to be lived! I have developed a riding technique through the years called riding invisible. When I ride I assume no one can see me, even if they are looking straight at me! I guess the older I get the more parinoid I get. I think I may take up knitting or sumfin more safe. Hell, I would prob trip and stab myself with a needle!

:sign just kidding: Once a biker always a biker!

There is a lot of new people on bikes fro the first time out there with the whole gas thing going on. I have seen lots of buds go down through the years and a few were killed. It is hard to loose your friends to something we all love to do but hey life is meant to be lived! I have developed a riding technique through the years called riding invisible. When I ride I assume no one can see me, even if they are looking straight at me! I guess the older I get the more parinoid I get. I think I may take up knitting or sumfin more safe. Hell, I would prob trip and stab myself with a needle!

:sign just kidding: Once a biker always a biker!

We could always get you those plastic needles. Should break before you get stuck. :rotf::rotf:

Margaret

Statistics is all in how it is read.

6.5 deaths per 10,000 riders in a year in the touring category which is more like our group odds translates to .065 deaths per 100 people or a 99.935 % chance that any one of us would remain safe on our bikes in a 12 month period of time. And if we never drink before we ride, I'm sure the odds are much better since the above odds don't distinguish how many of them were rider/drinkers but its likely that some of the 6.5 deaths in the above figure included ETOH use.

Risk is not as good as it was in 2000 and certainly not as good as it would be riding in a gage but it is still good.

If I have slipped a decimal place, someone should tell me but those odds are darn good and I've certainly risked my life (sometimes foolishly but not lately) on far worse odds.

Iowa Guy

:dancefool:

Local knowledge can come into play too. On this Island I do not go into town on a saturday during the summer. It is packed with bubble headded tourists who don't have a clue where they are going or how to get there. I also don't go into town on the bike on 10 percent tuesday. That is when the stores have 10 per cent off their prices and all the blue rinse babes and bi focal boys get out and play bumper tag in the parking lots. They drive by memory and telephone poles as they can't see over the dash.

I tell anyone who is interested that 80 percent of the drivers will never see you, 10 percent will see you but figure you are a drug dealing rapist biker and try to run you off the road, the other 10 percent will wave and smile, their bike is at home.

• 2 weeks later...
Statistics is all in how it is read.

I've certainly risked my life (sometimes foolishly but not lately) on far worse odds.

Iowa Guy

:dancefool:

Almost had a chance to test the odds. I took a great solo ride last friday noon through Saturday evening of about 640 miles. Thats not a lot for some of the iron butts here but a personal best for me. West of Des Moines on a two lane I was meeting several cars. I looked off road to my right briefly and when I turned back one of the cars was half in my lane and past me before I could react. I normally ride in the left track. If I had been there, he might have better seen me and stayed on his side ... or maybe I'd just be gone now. It wasn't until I'd pulled off and got the kick stand down that I realized that I hadn't exhailed yet. Wow! I am still thinking about it. Makes me think long and hard when I read about the ones written here that weren't near misses.

God Bless Us All

Iowa Guy

Still alive and riding