IGNORED

HELP!! Just bought Yahmaha Royal Star Deluxe 1998 and now it wont start!

joker83

I just picked up a 1998 Yamaha Royal Star Deluxe from a local used dealership and took it out for a nice ride today and ended up stranded after I turned it off to go into a store and came back and now the headlights won't even come on. When I turn the key I hear a click and then nothing, no lights and wont start. I even tried the old push start technique and nothing... PLEASE HELP!!! I cant find a manual anywhere and the one someone posted on here is no longer available. HELP!!

Is there someone that can give you a jump to get it started and charged up enough to get you home?

It sounds like you may have an issue with the charging circuit.

When you go to jump these bikes, you do not want to jump from a running car. Have the car shut off so you are just jumping from the battery. If you wish to charg your bike from a car you will need to remove the negative battery cables on the bike, you can then have the running car connected to the bike with jumpers to charge the bikes battery. This is not the ideal way to do things but it can at least get you home.

Once home this is not usually hard to troubleshoot.

even after trying to jump it as you said I had no power anywhere. No headlights,blinkers nothing. We tried to jump with the car off and on and nothing. I am not sure what is wrong with it and of course being used there is no type of warranty. I ended up leaving it locked up at the gas station as after 4 and a half hours in the lovely Florida heat and trying to push start it a few times(867lbs not including extras) I was ready to fall out. What could this be? Battery is brand new and charged overnight as directed before using it and I am not understanding what the problem is. I turned the key on and it made a click sound that came from behind the battery. Any ideas?

I finally found a manual for the bike online and after reading it not much truly useful information in regards to what I am dealing with but I am beginning to think it is either a fuse or a serious electrical problem somewhere.

A multimeter would be handy.....test voltage with key ON right at battery posts,

then battery cables....if normal, follow positive cable down to starter relay/main fuse holder....test there and check for a poor connection.

Guest tx2sturgis

It is practically impossible for these large bikes to be 'push-started' unless you have help, know which gear to put it in (4th), there must still be some residual charge in the battery to run the ignition, and hopefully, you have a little down-slope.

In other words, dont wear yourself out trying to push start it alone. It wont happen.

Simple things first:

When you turn on the key, are any of the lights on the dash lighting up?

Is the red kill switch on 'run'?

If all the lights are not working and you hear a click, its probably a dead battery, you knew that of course, but it could be a loose battery connection, corrosion in the cable ends, or fuses or switches that are failing or out. It could be a dead stator or regulator and the battery went dead as you rode it.

You need a digital voltmeter, remove the seat, and measure the battery voltage and then get back to us on the results. We can shoot wild guesses all day long but we NEED to know if your battery is alive or dead.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

This sounds like a problem with the starter relay. I am not familiar with your bike but if the relay is clicking and you have a new battery and it would not turn the engine over even with a jump start I would look at the starter relay. I have replaced mine twice due to corrosion and I have an 07. You also said you have no lights. Locate the starter relay and see if it has a 30 amp fuse built into the assembly. I have found the fuse was so corroded that you could not remove it. The fuse was good but the knife blades that fit into the socket were so corroded it could not be removed. Of course you can take a have gauge wire from the battery and momentarily touch the wire going to the starter. It will spark but your starter should turn over. If you try this hold the wire on the positive terminal of the battery then touch the wire going to the starter. Do not do it the other way around as you do not want sparking around the battery. Any hydrogen fumes coming from the battery could cause the battery to explode. If you can't find anything obvious you are gonna need a volt ohm meter to trouble shoot. Please follow up on the forum on what you find was wrong. This will help members in assisting others in trouble. :080402gudl_prv:

I'm not real familiar with the earlier version of the TD. But I know on the later ones that look like the RSV there is a main 30 amp fuse under the left floorboard, by the starter solenoid. As mentioned they are terrible about corrosion being they are mounted where all the road gunk gets splashed around. If you have lights etc and no starter you might try jumping the solenoid with a screw stick or something to get the starter to engage.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/FuseBoxLocations.jpg http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/solenoid.jpg

Sounds like dirty connection somewhere. Clean all from starter back to battery and make sure you do ground. Bet it starts. If not bad solenoid or switch. Jump solenoid across posts and see if it cranks. It almost has to if battery is up and connections are clean. Right Flyingfool. I keep hanging around here I may answer a electrical question RIGHT one of these days!!!

Yea I Was thinking that also as a possibility. Are these earlier year ones the key down by the seat or something? I can fix the newer ones like on the RSV. Well sort of.

The key switch is mounted on the front of the frame under the tank closest the forks.

All of the models that have the switch mounted forward on the left under the tank have issues with the switch failing, mostly due to the heat that it sees from air coming through the radiator. When they went bad Yamaha would replace them with an upgraded switch that is more robust and seldom failed. One way to know if the switch has been replaced is if you have different keys for the ignition than you do for the gas cap or saddle bags if it still has the hard factory bags installed.

The switch on my 98 Tour Classic failed while it was under warrenty, Yamaha replaced it and gave the bike back to me with 2 sets of keys, I pitched such a fit that the head mechanic said , just bring it by one day and I will re-key the ignition with your old tumblers. He did just that next time I was in the shop. I rode the bike for probably 7 more years and 70,000 more miles and never had an issue with the ignition.

So.....After much headache and stress I finally got the bike home, I got back out there and took the seat and side cover off in which I found all the fuses to be fine and put the key in the ignition and didnt hear the click. I wiggled the key a little and all the lights came on and everything so I hit the ignition and BRROOOMMMMM!!! Started right up, so i figure there is a short in the ignition. Going to try to find a new ignition and replace it asap and be done. Other than that I had a great ride from the clermont,Fl are into Ocala. :cool10:

You may be able build a by pass. But from what I have been told and read the early TD igniton switch is not wired like the 2nd gen and late td. The late model bikes all the power goes thru the switch. I make a plug and play unit for the 99 up RSV and I think its the 05 up TD. I know the later model switches you can take apart and clean the contacts. Price one out and see what you think.