IGNORED

'86 Royale shorted battery

32 minutes ago, Squidley said:

It's locked in with that plastic nut, there's an oring in there that acts like a compression fitting when the nut is tightened if memory serves me right. 

Your are correct . though the wire threads into the plug boot it only pushes straight in to the coil and then held in place with the rubber grommet and nut. I also mentioned earlier about inspecting the removable parts of the plug boot. here is a pic of all pulled apart. 20210702_111400.thumb.jpg.5117d501e0e82e35f8674ead4c42f8db.jpg

• Like 2

IIRC, the tachometer is picking up on #2 cylinder ignition. I don't know if it sees the trigger signal(primary side) or the spark(secondry side), but either way, the tach acting like tells me there is something wrong with #2 ignition. Of course, it could just be the tach is disconnected.

Edited by luvmy40

27 minutes ago, luvmy40 said:

IIRC, the tachometer is picking up on #2 cylinder ignition. I don't know if it sees the trigger signal(primary side) or the spark(secondry side), but either way, the tach acting like tells me there is something wrong with #2 ignition. Of course, it could just be the tach is disconnected.

Number 2 cyl would be the front right hand side?

Well, after googling this(I dont have my facory service manual with me) I find there is some conflicting information out there. I think I remember the cylinders are numbered as follows: #1 = Left Rear, #2 = Left Front, #3 =Right Rear, #4 = Right Front and the firining order is 1-3-2-4

Puc or Patch will come along shortly and correct me if I'm wrong.

19 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

Well, after googling this(I dont have my facory service manual with me) I find there is some conflicting information out there. I think I remember the cylinders are numbered as follows: #1 = Left Rear, #2 = Left Front, #3 =Right Rear, #4 = Right Front and the firining order is 1-3-2-4

Puc or Patch will come along shortly and correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct

On 7/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, Squidley said:

It's locked in with that plastic nut, there's an oring in there that acts like a compression fitting when the nut is tightened if memory serves me right. 

Your memery is not so bad yet, keep up the learnen!!

• Haha 1

Well.....looks like this is going to the dealer to be serviced. 

It's all put back together....two good friends of mine said to take it to be serviced and not to tell them what I have done...but to tell them I bought it as is and mention there is a newer CDI, Battery and spark plugs. 

Who would agree with NY 2 friends?

What would you tell the dealer??

6 minutes ago, luvmy40 said:

Good luck getting any Yamaha Dealer to service an '86 anything.

I called my dealer and he has a mechanic that has been there 25 plus years and has knowledge about this bike.

Remind me as the thread is quite long, The bike system is charging, the coils checked out, the grounds check out.

Did you check the pick up coils?

And fuel is getting through the carbs?

All the connections have been cleaned?

21 hours ago, Patch said:

Remind me as the thread is quite long, The bike system is charging, the coils checked out, the grounds check out.

Did you check the pick up coils? Yes

And fuel is getting through the carbs? Must be some getting through if all 4 cyl are firing

All the connections have been cleaned? Yed

On 7/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, Patch said:

In which case I would be straight up with the shop, after all you are paying by the hour.

I was straight up with the Dealer...he is saying that the carb diaphragms need replacing. His price $250.00 each.

I went online and see that there are some much cheaper.....but some from China, not sure if they are of equal quality. Not Sure what I am looking for as I have never taken the carb apart. Would it be the long or short one

Maybe someone knows where I can get ahold of these here in Canada or the USA.

s-l500.jpg

Small Diaphragm.jpg

2 minutes ago, Terry NB said:

I was straight up with the Dealer...he is saying that the carb diaphragms need replacing. His price $250.00 each.

I went online and see that there are some much cheaper.....but some from China, not sure if they are of equal quality. Not Sure what I am looking for as I have never taken the carb apart. Would it be the long or short one

Maybe someone knows where I can get ahold of these here in Canada or the USA.

s-l500.jpg

Small Diaphragm.jpg

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html