IGNORED

2nd time around, a few questions

After selling my '99 to take an 18 year worldwind tour through parenting, I'm back in the saddle! Recently picked up a 2007 w/ 21k miles and loving it. I've noticed a couple things about the bike and don't recall having these issues on my '99 but 18 years is a long time....

Q #1 : Is it normal to have a faint whiff of gasoline near the bike in the garage? I can't pinpoint where on the bike its coming from but just noticed at times its stronger than other times. Anything to worry about?

#2 : She runs hot! Like uncomfortably hot to the point I have to stop & get off the bike. No dummy light and I previously tested the fan w/ 12v, it works, and let it idle to the point it comes on, so I know that works. Thermostat seems most likely candidate as today while I was riding, about an hour into the ride it suddenly and dramatically cooled down in the cockpit, like 20-30 degrees and was fine for the rest of the ride. Besides coolant level and thermostat, anything else I should be looking for? Also, anyone have a rough estimate for what a shop would charge to drain, flush, refill and swap the thermostat? $300 is kinda my pain point for do it myself vs. pay to have it done.

#3 : Previous owner removed, but didn't keep the center stand. Thoughts on where to find one @ a reasonable cost? or has anyone used a rear swing-arm lift on the RSV?

Thanks, been lurking here for a bit but just joined and excited to be back in the saddle!

If it smells of gas I’d be looking at the carb floats quickly. Stuck floats is the biggest killer of these engines. Any gas drips on the floor?

I’ve never been uncomfortably hot on my 07, I’d definitely check the T-stat and coolant.

If it had a center stand it was aftermarket, RSVs didn’t come with one.

If it smells of gas I’d be looking at the carb floats quickly. Stuck floats is the biggest killer of these engines. Any gas drips on the floor?

I’ve never been uncomfortably hot on my 07, I’d definitely check the T-stat and coolant.

If it had a center stand it was aftermarket, RSVs didn’t come with one.

Thanks, will take a look at the carbs ASAP. So I've been reading some of the center stand posts and didn't realize it was not stock. My '99 had one and I bought it brand new from a dealer. I'm wondering if Yamaha included it very briefly on the '99 or if the dealer added it on.

Any gas drips on the floor?

No drips on the floor. Also plan to check around the filter & pump area based on a few other threads I've been reading. Hoping its something relatively easy and can avoid a trip to the shop, but with the cooling issue that may be in order anyways.

i get the gasoline odor on my 2009 for a period in the garage. I make it a habit to turn the petcock off prior to turning the ignition sw. There is no visible leaks and I have never experienced any sign of a flooded carb. It starts up clean and clear. I've wondered myself but with no ill effects, I live with it.

Thanks, will take a look at the carbs ASAP. So I've been reading some of the center stand posts and didn't realize it was not stock. My '99 had one and I bought it brand new from a dealer. I'm wondering if Yamaha included it very briefly on the '99 or if the dealer added it on.

No, Yamaha never offered it on any year of the RSV. There were a couple of aftermarket models available so maybe they put one of those on it. Also, I sold a lot of them that I made from First Generation Venture stands. There is a write-up in the technical library that shows how it's done.

Just a quick update on the heat issue. I'm hopeful I may have found the issue, but won't know until I get a ride in a few days from now. I drained the coolant and it appears the PO used straight, undiluted antifreeze. In looking at his maintenance log, it looks like he may have done this fairly recently, mileage wise - within the last 1,000 miles. It was clean, but a very dark green and thick, almost like a light syrup consistency. I first refilled with just water and then redrained, getting more green coolant out with that. I then refilled with straight distilled water and ran the bike for about 10 minutes at an idle with an occasional sustained rev of the engine, letting it get plenty warm and some circulation. More of the green goo drained out.

After the engine cooled, I drained again and refilled with a proper 50/50 ethylene glycol mix. I will give an update after I get it out for a good run.

The bike seems to be running fine otherwise. I'm not a mechanic, but based on this antifreeze issue and a few other questionable things I'm seeing in the PO's work, I've decided its going to be best to take it to a good Yamaha shop and have them give it the once over.

I also have an '07 with over 60K miles and still adding miles to it...with your '07 with only 21K miles is considered very low mileage for a touring bike...

Q1 Answer: no, it is not normal to have a whiff of gasoline anywhere around your bike. I have not noticed this on my bike while parked in the garage. As stated by a member, it could be a minor carb issue.

Q2 Answer: the RSV should not really run very hot especially on hot summer days. Perhaps try to replace your coolant and if you can get to it, replace your thermostat. I personally have not replaced my thermostat, so I don't know exactly hot to get to it. I've only replaced my coolant a couple of times already. With all that, hope it helps.

Ride Safe.

Mine stinks of gas in the garage too. I'm about to strip her naked and eviscerate her over the winter anyway, and carb work is on the list.

However... are these carbs not vented to atmosphere? A little gas smell between rides is normal in my experience, though mine is more than that.

Seems that turning the petcock to off after riding has solved the gas smell problem. Unfortunately, the coolant change did not fix the problem of running hot. Just order a new thermostat & radiator cap. Praying that solves the problem. Rode yesterday, it was in the mid-70's & it was better but it was also 20 degrees cooler than the last two rides.

I realize yours is a Gen2, my experience with fuel smell is with my Gen1 89 Venture Royale, and my 99 Gen1 Vmax. Both had that fuel smell, especially the Max. It (Vmax) was jetted and tuned quite rich, as they seem to be from the factory, but someone put a DJ jet kit in and it was grossly rich. No leaks were found but it sure smelled strong. Sometimes walking by in the parking lot or a while after it sat in the garage it was a strong smell. I had to jet way way down and I adjusted the floats to the leanest end of the acceptable range. Fuel smell gone, and significant power gains noted. I live at 4000' so I intended to go a touch lean, and I was rewarded. I thought for it too smell that strong there must be a leak, but non was ever found. I never smell raw fuel with this bike anymore.

My 89 Venture had the same issue but not nearly as bad, had the whiff of fuel sometimes when walking by, or when stopping somewhere and restarting. I searched for external leaks and found nothing. Still inspired by my success on the VMX (thanks to some really cool gents on the Vmax forum for guidance) I pulled the Venture carb rack to inspect and re-tune. I used the same guide to adjust the carb floats to the leanest edge of the acceptable range, (also replaced bowl and jet block gaskets with K&L Japan aftermarket, and some diaphragms out of the UK). Smell gone, but I was still getting low 30s for MPG, but the smell was gone. I used some needle valve shims from Skydoc which solved the MPG issue (guessing the emulsion tubes are just worn with 75k on the clock) and the fuel smell was still absent. Never smelled it again and never found an external leak on either machine.

I did not link the guide I used (factory pro web site for VMX) because while the carbs are similar I have never had a Gen2 and I'm not aware of any Gen2 specific variables that may set it apart from my experience on Gen1 machines.

I also use a Morgan Carbtune and obsessively keep then in sync, but that was true before and after remedying the fuel smell, which on both bikes also presented with poor MPG and reduced performance. I also checked that the choke lever was activating all 4 enrichment circuits open and closed together, I guess it can happen where a "choke" can slip out of the linkage and stay stationary while the others work, never happened to me but I've read about that happening on various V4 Yammys.

I know my stuff is older but I hope this might give you some ideas going forward. There is a method to check float levels with no disassembly but I cant find the link and not sure if that carries over too Gen2 machines, although I don't see why it wouldn't.

Last thing, then I'll zip it haha. Yamaha OEM and K&L are both Japanese quality, any other brands or ebay specials and you run the risk of ending up with Chinese parts in your Japanese carbs. I got my K&L stuff off ebay and got a good price, but supply seems to be hit/miss there. There are huge quantities of very inexpensive off brand stuff, to be avoided for sure.

I hope you get it sorted:biker:.