IGNORED

Who is getting the best fuel mileage?

On the post about 10% ethanol affecting/harming/benefitting our bikes, the subject of different brands, octane rating, and additives in fuels came up several times and it was interesting.

Since we are scattered all over the globe, it would be interesting to observe various experiences both good and bad with what we are running through our engines.

What's your experience/opinion? Please contribute here!

JimBob5 added below:

Maybe people can also include if they are running 10% ethanol or regular fuel to see if there are variations.
Edited by dharnie

My last 2 tanks, riding 2up about 1/2 the time, I got 46.3 and 47.2 mpg while staying around 60 - 62 mph. If I run it up to 70- 75 mph on the freeway, it drops to 38-40 mpg.:smash2:

Regular fuel. No corn.

Edited by Jethroish

If you live in the US it is about a 99% chance you are running 10% Ethanol, unless you are running aircraft fuel, but it is quite expensive compared to road fuel, and it contains tetraethyl lead, so it should not be used on the roads.

Just because your pump does not say they fuel you are buying is 10% Ethanol, does not mean that you are getting 100% Gasoline.

HERE is a quick down and dirty test you can perform to see if there is Ethanol in your fuel. You could also use the technique to remove ethanol from your fuel, but DON'T do it in the bikes fuel tank and you would have to make sure you don't pull any water from the tank.... maybe a fuel water separator like on some Diesel trucks and pleasure boats. We had big ones on the ships I served on. Also if you removed the ethanol from your fuel, you would be throwing away ethanol you paid for.... but you might be able to distill it out of the water, but I would NOT drink it!!!!!!!!

HERE is a calibrated tester, but it is IMHO expensive, and only reads in 5% increments.

Edited by KiteSquid

The best I ever got was 54 MPG. A planned gas stop in the middle of no where was closed and I baby-ed it to the next town, coasted down hill, kept at 55mph and prayed. I put 5.8 gal. in the tank. Worst I got is 33MPG running 75+ with headwind to Tombstone AZ. Both on regular gas (no ethanol). Rod

It's all depend on WD (Wrist Disorder) If you Keep baby in 55 range, youll be in mid 50's,. That's happend only once, last year, trip from Vogel. I was following Eddie, and he was trailering bike, never before, and never after. :rotf::rotf:. Well my gas milage is..... When i need a gas usualy i pull in to gas station, right.

Last weekend, 2 up, I had to follow a Indian bike having some issues, so we kept the spped to no more than 55 MPH. This is the 1st time on the Venture I got 50 miles per gallon. I was really suprised.

Ok there are obviously different riding styles along with different gas mileage. Now the question is what are you basing the mileage off of? If you are using the RSV's odometer then unless you have a speed-o-healer on the bike I would say you are not getting an accurate assessment of your mileage. Both RSV's I have owned were 4 to 5 miles off in the speedo at 60 MPH indicated. So at 60 MPh Indicated, I was actually traveling 55 to 56 MPH.

I check my mileage with my GPS and am getting 41 MPG and 44 MPG with the speedo.

The best I ever got was 54 MPG. A planned gas stop in the middle of no where was closed and I baby-ed it to the next town, coasted down hill, kept at 55mph and prayed. I put 5.8 gal. in the tank. Worst I got is 33MPG running 75+ with headwind to Tombstone AZ. Both on regular gas (no ethanol). Rod
The worst I ever got, and this is before I changed the mufflers to Baron Nasty Boys with K&N filters was 31 mpg. It was at 7,000 feet, going against a 20 mph headwind at 80 mph. The best I ever got was on the return trip from VWlll Susanville last year where I think I was the only one that bought gas from a gippo gas station, and my bike never ran so good. We went from Susanville to Marysville, took 2.6 gals. to go 145 miles which came out to 55 mpg. The RSV behind me took 3.8 gals. for 38 mpg. To this day, I've been wanting to go back up to that gas station in Susanville and ask the guy who's gas he's putting in his underground tanks ?:mustache::7_6_3[1]: