IGNORED

I survived and I got the T-shirt to prove it

SilvrT

Never thought I'd get the opportunity to do it but have heard so much about it.

I learned that @Zzyzx lived close to Knoxville and since we are camping near Pigeon Forge I contacted Ed to see if he'd be interested in getting together for a ride in the area. Knowing him, I knew the answer would be a big "YES" so yesterday I rented a Harley, met up with Ed and off we went. He took me through some of the most amazing country I've ever seen including the Smokey Mountains and Tail of the Dragon. What a day we had ... 8 hours and appx 280 miles of riding.

Thanks so much Ed for showing me around and for not losing me in the twisties!

All the best to you going forward!

20171013_150640.jpg20171013_150757.jpg20171013_150540.jpg20171013_105803.jpg20171013_095456.jpg

Dang! they went sideways ... sorry guys, just turn your monitor or your head LOL

:scared:,,,, now THAT, that right there is what I am talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

It just dont get no better than that you guys!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing WITH pictures Silv, sure looks and sounds like you two lop eared tail twisting varmints had a ball = ROCK ON!!

So,, Silv,,, what year and model was the HD? What did you think? Come on,, spill the beans!! :detective:

@cowpuc ... no, sadly it wasn't a 2017 with the new 107 engine. It was a 2016 with the 103. I really wanted to get a 2017 but the only dealer with one on the rental fleet that was available was in west Knoxville which is about 40+ miles away ... Pigeon Forge (where I rented the bike) is only 15 minutes drive from where we are and in the direction of Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains so I went with that .

As for the one I had, it was pretty good. Smooth, good power, easy to handle, great on fuel, but once it was running hot, it idled fairly rough as if there was something wrong with it. I also noticed a fair amount of heat from the header pipes, much like my Victory was before I removed the CATs, installed a Power Commander, Changed the mufflers and had a dyno tune. After that, the Vic wasn't any hotter than a Venture (well, maybe a little *snikker*).

I mentioned the "rough idling" to the rental guy when I returned it and he claimed all the 103 engines are like that. Franky I don't agree coz I've ridden several of them at the Harley demo days and none idled that badly. However, that didn't seem to affect the general running of the bike once I got moving.

When we're down in Florida I plan to rent again and will only settle for a 2017 model.

Rick where in Fla and when? THE wife and I are actually on our way up to Johnson City rite now. Be there late sun afternoon or eve. Got hung up in a TRAFFIC jam today on way to Us. Temp read 104 or 105 when finally broke out. 5 min @ 70 um maybe a bit more and dropped 10 Dec or more. Have fun up there.

Rick where in Fla and when? THE wife and I are actually on our way up to Johnson City rite now. Be there late sun afternoon or eve. Got hung up in a TRAFFIC jam today on way to Us. Temp read 104 or 105 when finally broke out. 5 min @ 70 um maybe a bit more and dropped 10 Dec or more. Have fun up there.

We'll be in FL Nov 1st. Our first location will be Cedar Key for a month. After that we're not sure yet but we don't plan on heading west out of Florida until Feb 1st. That said, nothing is written in stone and that's the beauty of it all.

Rick and I had a great time Friday the 13th riding thru the Smokies, the Dragon, and all around this great area.

The weather was perfect and got to catch up with a good friend.

Glad to see he and Nina are doing good and enjoying their never ending vacation.

What a fun day!

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8078.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8032.jpg

cowpuc ... no, sadly it wasn't a 2017 with the new 107 engine. It was a 2016 with the 103. I really wanted to get a 2017 but the only dealer with one on the rental fleet that was available was in west Knoxville which is about 40+ miles away ... Pigeon Forge (where I rented the bike) is only 15 minutes drive from where we are and in the direction of Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains so I went with that .

As for the one I had, it was pretty good. Smooth, good power, easy to handle, great on fuel, but once it was running hot, it idled fairly rough as if there was something wrong with it. I also noticed a fair amount of heat from the header pipes, much like my Victory was before I removed the CATs, installed a Power Commander, Changed the mufflers and had a dyno tune. After that, the Vic wasn't any hotter than a Venture (well, maybe a little *snikker*).

I mentioned the "rough idling" to the rental guy when I returned it and he claimed all the 103 engines are like that. Franky I don't agree coz I've ridden several of them at the Harley demo days and none idled that badly. However, that didn't seem to affect the general running of the bike once I got moving.

When we're down in Florida I plan to rent again and will only settle for a 2017 model.

Got cha. Just thinking out loud here = those late model 103's had a temp triggered rear jug shut off to keep em from over heating when hot.. Wonder if that is what you were feeling.. Thinking the Motor Company called it "parade mode" if memory serves me correctly.. Its not that hard to shut off if you know the combination but, being a rental,, I highly suspect they would not turn the parade mode off = protect their machines..

Compared to your Victory.. Never did own a Vic but demoed lots of em and had a really close friend who had a 106.. I was actually shocked at what happened with the closure of the Vic line and how they didnt sell and all that.. I was also shocked that Polaris didnt use a little of their Vic technology when building the 111.. Those Vic's were "oil cooled" much in the same manner as our Yam's are water cooled = had oil jackets in the jugs if I understand it correctly.. Never did experience the heat from a Vic like that of a Harley or the new Yam Venture or the 111 (hottest of the bunch IMHO)..

How did the HD ride compared to your Vic?

Deej,, a quick FYI about Johnson City!!

Picked up a chunk of steel in the rear tire just south of there a number of years ago. Got into a place called "Jim's Honda" - they treated us like GOLD = GREAT FOLKS!! One of the salesmen asked about Tweeks,, made a comment along the line of us being "serious bikers" :hihi:,, asked my background with biking.. After a short discussion he invited me to take a walk "upstairs" to see the owners personal collection of bikes including a couple brand new 73 CR250M Honda Elsinore's like the one I had told him I had raced back in the day..

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW:178:!!!! There is NO museum that I have ever been in that even comes close:dancefool::dancefool:!!! Not just BRAND NEW NOS machines of all types but also = aftermarket race parts from days long gone by:thumbsup2:..

If you have the time it would be an AWESOME stop if you have any interest in biking history both European and Metric. I know the upstairs is not open to the public per say BUT = if you mention that a good buddy told ya about whats up there and asked about a private showing = you might just get lucky!! If so,, you will some stuff that will almost bring tears to your eyes!!!!

Rick and I had a great time Friday the 13th riding thru the Smokies, the Dragon, and all around this great area.

The weather was perfect and got to catch up with a good friend.

Glad to see he and Nina are doing good and enjoying their never ending vacation.

What a fun day!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110701

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110702

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110703

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110704

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110705

OUSTANDING Zzz!!!!! Absolutely LOVE those shots = THANK for sharing them Ed!!!:thumbsup:

How did the HD ride compared to your Vic?

It was comparable; however, the Vic has a better seating position especially with the larger floorboards. The HD steering in low speeds wasn't quite as good as the Vic as the front wheel seemed to want to turn on it's own more. Handling the Dragon was no problem, you could whip the HD from a full lean tight Right to a full lean tight Left with ease. Wind around the knees was more obvious that the Vic. Folks complain about noisy shifting on the Vic but the HD was more clunky. Other than that, I quite liked the bike.

If you ever get to do the Dragon ride on over to Tazwell VA. and ride RT. 16 to Marion VA. It is the back of the Dragon and it is 32 miles not 11.

That looks like a great ride. Will have to make that a two day ride when weather permits.