IGNORED

I've moved on from Ventures...

Condor

Dont much like the thought of another one of us moving on from scooting but REALLY like your direction of collection Jack!!!!! Wishing you all the best in the move brother and look forward to seeing and hearing more of your Gun Reports:thumbsup:

Condor have you ever herd of a Spanish Mauser 98 in cal. 30 06? Had a chance to buy one but turned it down. It was a full battle rifle in excellent condition with straight bolt handle that was the deciding reason for not purchasing. Some excuse young and dumb.:bang head:

Mauser made military rifles from several different factory's in Germany for countries world wide. Spain was just one. The value depends on which factory produce the rifle and whether it was during war time and might have seen battle. The M98 is one of the great action designs and they..as well as the FN's are the most sought after. I'm watching a beautiful Argentine M98 Custom right now that might join the stable. Until recently the mauser action has been the action of choice for customizers, and probably the most copied. I have a couple of realy nice mauser actions made in Czechoslovakia. Brno's are considered a very high end rifle. That's all I know about Milsurps and I'm stickin' to it.... :-) Don't regret passing up something because you didn't know anything about it.... until later... I have a bushel basket full of stories like that...

I remember in my youth a friend having a Sweedish one...

Yep... I own a Kimber Custom when they were in Oregon with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser Carl Gustaf '95 action. More of a utility type build, but cool. Finland and Switzerland used the same military rifle in 6.5 for a very long time. Just recently going to an AR16 type. Very well built actions.

KIMBER.1.jpg

Mauser made military rifles from several different factory's in Germany for countries world wide. Spain was just one. The value depends on which factory produce the rifle and whether it was during war time and might have seen battle. The M98 is one of the great action designs and they..as well as the FN's are the most sought after. I'm watching a beautiful Argentine M98 Custom right now that might join the stable. Until recently the mauser action has been the action of choice for customizers, and probably the most copied. I have a couple of realy nice mauser actions made in Czechoslovakia. Brno's are considered a very high end rifle. That's all I know about Milsurps and I'm stickin' to it.... :-) Don't regret passing up something because you didn't know anything about it.... until later... I have a bushel basket full of stories like that...

As a matter of fact my Sporterized 1909 Berlin made m98 30 06 Mauser has a Argentine emblem on the breach under the scope mount.

Got any idea what it might be worth?

I've always wanted to find a period correct bayonet to go with it but have never run across one.

As a matter of fact my Sporterized 1909 Berlin made m98 30 06 Mauser has a Argentine emblem on the breach under the scope mount.

Got any idea what it might be worth?

I've always wanted to find a period correct bayonet to go with it but have never run across one.

It all depends on the condition and and documented back ground of the rifle. Seems like they are asking for $450-$600... Bayonets are rare.

Here's a great place to figure out a value. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=1909+mauser

I've only owned one nice Mauser a .22 training rifle my son completed with it on the school shooting team. I later traded for a stainless Ruger 10/22. Ruger shoots good but not like the heavy barreled Mauser.

I'm no expert, but I think you shoulda kept the Mauser, and paid cash for the Ruger. Stainless barrel 10/22's were recently on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $199. If your Training rifle was a DSM34 in mint condition it's in the books at $3000.00. $475 for an 'ugly'.. One of the things to remember about firearms. They appreciate in value once they are not produced any longer... And... generally they out perform gold....

I've dabbled some in gun best return was a Hunter LC Smith good too excellent condition with Leg of Mutton case and red pattern tag from Hunter. I paid $500. For the 20 ga. Traps grade 30 years ago sold it for $3000. About ten years ago. I hunted quail and doves with it till I started feeling guilty about caring it in the fields. Was a lot of fun busting doubles with it.

I've dabbled some in gun best return was a Hunter LC Smith good too excellent condition with Leg of Mutton case and red pattern tag from Hunter. I paid $500. For the 20 ga. Traps grade 30 years ago sold it for $3000. About ten years ago. I hunted quail and doves with it till I started feeling guilty about caring it in the fields. Was a lot of fun busting doubles with it.

Never been quite that lucky with guns... Other things..sure... One thing I do know is they are all worth more than what I'd paid for them... :thumbsup2:

I've stopped collecting Ventures. As time creeps on, along with advancing age, I just can't get turned on like I used to. So... What to do for entertainment?? Oh he!!, I know... collect guns. I had my custom FN Mauser ripped off a long time ago. After looking for it over 25 years, at Gun Shows and local dealers, I finally gave up searching for it . In the meantime I did find a lot of very nice custom FN's on the market. I bought a few that were affordable. The others that were worth a ton by their sellers I admired but passed... I think they didn't really want to sell, just show-n-tell... Anyway over the past few years I've amassed a nice little collection of Mauser's. I buy them because they are well made.. the term custom can be loosely defined.... and a little odd or unique. But they must be high quality, and well crafted. I now own about 30-35.. lost count.. of really nice examples, and they are stored in a couple of new gun vaults. So far I haven't shot any, but I really don't care. I just enjoy the artwork... And they will do nothing except go up in value. I still have 8 or 9 Ventures, and the way things are going they'll be up on the block probably next spring/summer.....

Was kind of wondering about you buying bikes right and left when you were getting up there in age and should have started slowing down, but I think the one time we e-mailed each other, you said your riding days were over with at that time, and I was still hoping to see your 99 RSV. So if it has to be, it has to be. I just look and think about my bike all the time wondering when it's going to come to a halt with me. I took Bessie out yesterday just because I had not ridden her for three weeks, and it was time to take her out to charge her battery. I could use the trickle charger, but not using it is what makes me take her out and still try to enjoy her as I'm still fit to do so some what. I don't think you ever mentioned you being a gun collector. With the amount of guns (1) I have, and rifles which come to one pellet rifle, 5 rifles and one shot-gun, they kept me busy for awhile, but haven't shot them now for several years when I took my son-in-law to the range to pop off a few rounds (this was an excuse to get him out of the house so we could set things up for a surprise 40th birthday party) but I took my 30-30 Winchester, my Ruger 44 Carbine and Remington 280 out which is my most accurate hi-powered rifle, and he seem to do a pretty good job hitting the target. Reloading my own shells worked pretty well also as I put 5 rounds right in the middle of the bulls-eye about the size of a quarter at 100 yards. But anyway, just re-newed my subscription on here and saw your post, so thought I'd just put a little bit on here myself. Just sad that sooner or later, some things must come to an end. Me, I think I've told you this, but stopped 5 yrs. ago putting Christmas light's up on the house, because my legs are too weak to do so. Anyway, we'll just keep passing our good............sometimes bad jokes back and forth to each other as my fingers can at least still type, lol. You have yourself a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jack, take care.

Edited by Rich99

Was kind of wondering about you buying bikes right and left when you were getting up there iln age and should have started slowing down, but I think the one time we e-mail each other, you said your riding days were over with at that time, and I was still hoping to see your 99 RSV. So if it has to be, it has to be. I just look and think about my bike all the time wondering when it's going to come to a halt with me. I took Bessie out yesterday just because I had not ridden her for three weeks, and it was time to take her out to charge her battery. I could use the trickle charger, but not using it is what makes me take her out and still try to enjoy her as I'm still fit to do so some what. I don't think you ever mentioned you being a gun collector. With the amount of guns (1) I have, and rifles which come to one pellet rifle, 5 rifles and one shot-gun, they kept me busy for awhile, but haven't shot them now for several years when I took my son-in-law to the range to pop off a few rounds (this was an excuse to get him out of the house so we could set things up for a surprise 40th birthday party) but I took my 30-30 Whinchester, my Ruger 44 Carbine and Remington 280 out which is my most accurate hi-powered rifle, and he seem to do a pretty good job hitting the target. Reloading my own shells worked pretty well also as I put 5 rounds right in the middle of the bulls-eye about the size of a quarter at 100 yards. But anyway, just re-newed my subscription on here and saw yoor post, so thought I'd just put a little bit on here myself. Just sad that sooner or later, some things must come to an end. Me, I think I've told you this, but stipped 5 yrs. ago putting Christmas light's up on the house, because my legs are too weak to do so. Anyway, we'll just keep passing our good............sometimes bad jokes back and forth to each other as my mingers can at least still type, lol. You have yourself a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jack, take care.

Forgot, should have made the print bigger so you...........I can read it, sorry, lol