IGNORED

vibration

i have the same thing bugged the hell out of me so i rebuilt the motor & replacing all the gearbox bearings it is still there not bad when cold annoying when hot .was told by yam dealer it was the clutch basket and don't worry about it .i did read recently someone ran an oil line to the gear driving it seemed to quieten it .so now i just try to ignore it. it is not getting any worse.

I think that was for the whine.

Mine was actually a vibration.

Went out today and nothing now so don't know if it was a fluke or if only when run and warmed up good, Not suppose to rain tomorrow so hopefully get it out and find the answer to that question

YUP!! Step 1, Sync Carbs!! Part of me wants to say "Don't trust the dealer to do it right!!" Find someone somewhat close by who knows what they are doing sync them, or learn to do it yourself, it is not that hard, it just requires an around $100 tool to do it...

LOL, I know what you mean when you say don't trust dealer but these guys have done me right for years and fought with the manufactures and insurance to get my toys fixed.

I'll get ahold of them next week and see if they have record of when last done for sure as they sold the bike to previous owner and did all the work on it for him

I have the Carbtune so I can do it anytime I do any maintenance on the bike. Someone in your area should have one as well, or if you are at Maintenance Day, several floating around and we can show you how easy it is to do.

Also...check your steering head for tightness. Too loose and the bike will feel like it wants to drift in corners, front end will wobble as you slow down with hands off grips.

Triple J, I see you're in MN. I am in SW MN and have a carbtune. I've only done it once on my bike, so I'm no expert, but it seemed easy enough. Would be willing to get together and see what it looks like on a carb sync if you're in the area.

Larry

:think:,,,, still not exactly sure how pulling the clutch in will devibe a motor at idle thats vibration is occurring from being out of sync:scratchchin:,, maybe out of free spinning harmonics or something,,,, regardless of my mindless thinking here I would follow the gurus and definitely check the sync first!!... Almost sounds more like a bearing has lost its cage and those little steal balls are gathering together in the races or something.. One of my 1st Gens got so sloppy in the clutch support system that if you leaned it to one side it would rattle and vibrate like crazy at an idle until you pulled in the clutch but it had well over 200k on it..

Another thing you could do is check under your scoot and see if you picked up a rock or bent something so the engine is making frame contact somehow.. Its not totally impossible for a stone to be lodged between a hydraulic line and the frame and to create some changing sounds and feelings when ya squeeze the clutch (actually had that happen to me)..

Dont know why but my gut tells me I would also be checking motor mounts, pipe mounts and maybe even mounting screws for the clutch slave for tightness..

Another thing you could do is think back to when this first started.. Maybe you have a flat washer out of place on a rubber mount somewhere or something....

Checking the sync doesn't cost anything if you have access to the carbtune. Rule out the easy one first and if there is still a vibration then you can move on to other things.

Would valves needing adjustment cause a vibration?

Triple J, I see you're in MN. I am in SW MN and have a carbtune. I've only done it once on my bike, so I'm no expert, but it seemed easy enough. Would be willing to get together and see what it looks like on a carb sync if you're in the area.

Larry

I took it out for a spin on Sunday and no sign of the vibration. I did bump up the idle just a touch though.

I really appreciate your offer and may hit you up if it acts up again.

:think:,,,, still not exactly sure how pulling the clutch in will devibe a motor at idle thats vibration is occurring from being out of sync:scratchchin:,, maybe out of free spinning harmonics or something,,,, regardless of my mindless thinking here I would follow the gurus and definitely check the sync first!!... Almost sounds more like a bearing has lost its cage and those little steal balls are gathering together in the races or something.. One of my 1st Gens got so sloppy in the clutch support system that if you leaned it to one side it would rattle and vibrate like crazy at an idle until you pulled in the clutch but it had well over 200k on it..

Another thing you could do is check under your scoot and see if you picked up a rock or bent something so the engine is making frame contact somehow.. Its not totally impossible for a stone to be lodged between a hydraulic line and the frame and to create some changing sounds and feelings when ya squeeze the clutch (actually had that happen to me)..

Dont know why but my gut tells me I would also be checking motor mounts, pipe mounts and maybe even mounting screws for the clutch slave for tightness..

Another thing you could do is think back to when this first started.. Maybe you have a flat washer out of place on a rubber mount somewhere or something....

Great advice, I'm real familiar with rocks or such getting where it doesn't belong on cars, atv's and such.

It hasn't acted up since that one time so chasing a ghost right now, will have to wait and see if it happens again.

Not even 30,000 miles on my 99 so hopefully not to many worn out parts

OK, took the bike to work today and no issues in the morning, Got home and did my standard 6 point turn around so bike was backed in and ready to go in morning again

Vibration was back,, so I pulled in clutch and released vibration gone. If I let out the clutch slow I get the vibration/noise, If I let it out quick no vibration/noise

Are you getting a vibration or noise? Or both. These bikes are not the quietest things in the world. Clutch out, in neutral, at idle it is not unusual the hear some noise. The question will be if it is excessive or not.

Mike

I am not so sure you have a problem. If you get a chance to attend a meet and eat do so. See if you can get another member to listen and confirm if all is well or not.

Mike

Hoping to make pork in the pines but not sure if I'll be able to yet

The clutch is wet, filled with oil unlike a car which is dry. Even though the clutch lever is pulled in the fluid in the clutch will cause (allow) some force to be exerted on the output side. So you may still hear the transmission neutral gears turning. That is why when you put the bike in gear you can feel the engine engage the transmission before releasing the clutch. And of course with the clutch lever released in neutral you will feel and possibly hear the gears turning.

Personally I keep my engine idle RPMs on the low side. Around 950. So the bike doesn't smack so hard when shifting from neutral to first. But that does allow some noise. To each his own.

None of which may have anything to do with the noise you are hearing.

Mike