IGNORED

Gimmee your close calls.

BigLenny

After reading about Larry1963's close call on another thread, it got me to thinking. I know most of us have had a close call on our bikes at one time or another. What I mean by close call is; an incident that happened while riding your bike, that if it would've been a slightly different scenario, you would've most likely been killed, or seriously hurt. Something that scared the bejesus out of you.

Here's one for me: 3 years ago, my wife and I were riding to Bikes Blues and BBQ in northwest Arkansas. We were running about 60mph on a beautiful mountain road in the Boston Mountains. We entered into an area where the trees lined right up next to the road on the left side, and in a split second it happened! A large deer with a large rack on his head came busting out of the tree line in a full sprint and literally came right across our face as we crossed paths with him at 60mph. It actually seemed like he jumped over our front fender, and their was a thump sound like he had nipped our windshield. IT WAS THAT CLOSE! It happened so freakin fast, I didn't even have time to get on the brakes. I can still remember my wife letting out a scream in the microphone. Crazy close to disaster! We stopped about a quarter mile down and got off the bike and laid down in the grass beside the road to catch our breath. We absolutely knew we had just avoided a serious, possibly lethal situation.

So, who else has had a serious close call? Lets hear them.

About four years ago I was leading an SCRC group on a ride on a county road. This road is very twisty in some spots and we were starting up a steep hill when a dump truck comes flying down the hill and around a turn. He was in the middle of the road as well. I was certain that he was going to wipe some of us off the road, luckily he missed all of us. We did stop to regain our pucker factor then I stayed about 100 yards ahead of the gang with my flashers on to complete the ride.

Back in '07 we were riding the BRP on our way to Asheville. The lead bike, Mother on this site was making a sweeping turn and as he rounded the turn there was a big old bear wandering down the highway! He missed by about an inch and a half! I was right behind him! I was afraid that I might have to throttle up and ram the bear if Scott would have hit him and made the bear mad...

Couple years back I was on a ride with a buddy and his wife (each on their own bikes). Matter of fact, he's a member here. Anyway, it was the end of the day and we were heading back to their house. We were approaching the city where they live and pulling a long, straight hill on a 4-lane. We were in the left lane, buddy and his wife ahead of me, passing a truck / camper trailer rig in the right lane. Buddy and his wife got by but as I'm about mid-point of the trailer, the guy in the truck decides he wants in the left lane so he starts moving over. I'm blasting my air horn but he's not hearing me and by this time I'm right next to his door but it was apparent he had no idea I was there or he was and didn't care as he kept merging left, squeezing me out as there was a concrete barrier separating us and the on-coming traffic. All I could do at that time is brake hard, let him get over, and then pass him on the right. As I go by him I'm blasting my horn and giving him the "salute" but he carries on as if I don't exist.

Several years back we were returning home from a Venture West gathering in San Louis Obispo (SLO for short). We were travelling through Yosemite and the roads are narrow and twisty. Of course, there just had to be an old couple in a cage ahead of us going slower than the posted 30mph speed limit and after a few miles of that I was getting anxious to pass. As we exit one corner and approach another, I'm looking as far ahead as I can for an opportunity and I'm geared down and ready to gun it. An "opening" appears on a right hand corner and I crack the throttle and start going around the old couple but CRAP!!! A car is coming towards us. I clear the old couple's car but I'm moving pretty good and leaning hard as the on-coming car and I meet. Thought for sure we were gonna hit but I leaned further into it and it was just enough for us to pass by without colliding but I'll swear to this day the tires of our bike kissed the tires of that car. pphhheeeewwwwwwwww!!! It was several miles after that before we had a spot where we could stop so I could check to ensure I hadn't crapped my pants LOL

In 1977 I totaled a Brand new Ford Pickup. Still had temporary tags. He turned in front of me as I was doing about 60 and I hit him right behind the door on the corner of the cab when he made a left turn in front of me. Put that 1971 650 Yammy between the cab and bed far enough to bend frame badly. I saw what was going to happen at last mini-second and jumped. Went over truck and slid down road. Got up and went after him. They pulled me off him and it took almost a year to get my bike paid for. Got nothing for the rash I picked up but it wasn't bad considering. It also totaled Yammy. We saved a few parts. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Well, over the years, the close calls have happened 2 or 3 times every rideing season. Best to just get used to it, or quit rideing.

Stay sharp, and trust that little nagging voice in back of your head, if it says to you, slow down, or stop--------- DO IT !!!

And, stop and take a break at least every 2 hours on the road !!! If your really in a hurry, take the car !!!

I may get the award for the most recent. This past Sunday I was riding on a hilly road and met a car that was at least two feet over the center line. The driver was looking at her phone. I had maybe 1 second to react as she kept veering over. Her mirror hit my faring and something broke the red reflector on the crash bar. The impact broke her mirror. She said she didn't know what she hit until she looked in her rear view mirror. The bike stayed steady and it happened so fast it didn't scare me. The faring will need some repaint but luckily it did not crack. It did break the mounting bracket that holds the faring and chrome strip tight. My dash has a hair line crack but shouldn't amount to anything. I was lucky and am thankful it didn't take me down. Another 2 inches over and she would have taken me out. When something hits that red reflector that's pretty darn close. Bill

I posted it here somewhere. But Oct 15 I was going to take a ride up the Dragon. As I approached the very first turn up from the South end there where the Gas station/restaurant is a big a$$ 18 wheeler comes rounding the corner, completely in my lane. Truck to the left and..... well like 2 maybe 3 ft of grass on right then.......Well a motocross bike wouldnt do me any good. Lucky I managed to get just far enough off the road to miss the truck and not go tumbling down the hill. I was blowing the horn and all kinds of stuff, but the truck didnt even stop to see if he killed me. I will not go back on the Dragon until the eliminate those things being allowed on there. I dont know maybe put a concrete chicane or something at the beginning of each end. If you make it thru you get a pass.