IGNORED

Small tear in seat

Mad Dog

Doesn't look like 2 many people have an answer for you Mike, at least if they do they're not posting it.

Maybe you have an car seat upholsterer in your area that could advise. I know some years ago there was a company that claimed they could repair rips and tears, but I have no idea how good it worked. That's about 40 years ago. (just after I was born I think)

Yea, I'm not ignoring the question but I have just never had great success with such repairs. There are some repair kits on the market but I'm not sure how ell they work. To prevent them from tearing further, I guess I would remove the cover and patch it from the inside. Just square of as close to matching vinyl as I could find and then some type of adhesive on the back side. Removing the cover is easy enough, you will just need a good stapler to put it back on. That is done all the time. I've done it a couple of times and Rick Butler does it on a regular basis when he does his seat mods.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW ....

It seems that the only damaged part is the vinyl skin itself. The white backing below isn't torn at all... so taking the cover off and repairing from the inside wouldn't help. So I colored the white material with a sharpie and I'm going to stick the small "flap of vinyl with some clear silicone (I think). That's the plan for now. Thanks all for your input.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW ....

It seems that the only damaged part is the vinyl skin itself. The white backing below isn't torn at all... so taking the cover off and repairing from the inside wouldn't help. So I colored the white material with a sharpie and I'm going to stick the small "flap of vinyl with some clear silicone (I think). That's the plan for now. Thanks all for your input.

I had the same problem, friend who runs a autobody shop said he would fix it for me. He spread a thin layer of windshield glue over the bad area and let it dry for two days. That was 2-3 years ago, still looks good you have to know there was a repair done there.

hope this helps Bob.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem, friend who runs a autobody shop said he would fix it for me. He spread a thin layer of windshield glue over the bad area and let it dry for two days. That was 2-3 years ago, still looks good you have to know there was a repair done there.

hope this helps Bob.

Bigbob, can you find out more info on "Windshield glue"?

Is that the stuff to repair windshield or stuff to glue mirrors and such on Windshield??

TIA

Mike,

Are they at the edge close to the seat studs. I see tears like that quit often from someone using a 10mm open end wrench instead of a 10mm socket to remove the seat nuts. And when I rework the seat, I glue a vinyl patch on the under side of the cover to close up the tear. Let me rework your pillowtop and I'll fix them at no extra charge.

I also sell thumb nuts so you can remove your seat without any tools. You can find everything in the Classifieds under Member Vendors/Rick Butler

Let me know if I can help,

Rick

Hi all,

I have two very small (not 1/4") tears in my second gen pillow top seat. Does anyone have any repair recommendations?

TIA as always

Mike

Thank you all for the replies. Rick, you may just get my seat someday, but these tears are all set. I used a Sharpie to color the white cloth below the vinyl, then I glued the vinyl down with some clear silicone worked in with a toothpick. It couldn't have worked out any better.

Thanks again

Yeah Mike,

If it's a pillowtop, you may be talking about separations in the ends of the pillow seams, where a black Sharpie works well to cover up the exposure. But rather than the clear silicone try some GOOP that you can find at Home Depot. It has an adhesion better than anything I have ever used. And I use toothpick also.

Rick

Thank you all for the replies. Rick, you may just get my seat someday, but these tears are all set. I used a Sharpie to color the white cloth below the vinyl, then I glued the vinyl down with some clear silicone worked in with a toothpick. It couldn't have worked out any better.

Thanks again