IGNORED

Slow batt drain

05 Venture with 93K on the odo. Some extras like lights and Gps. I have a batt indicator light that after a few days of sitting showed the batt was low. Batt was over a year old so replaced it and now it still shows low after a few days. Bike will crank with yellow light have not let it get to red yet. So it looks like I have a slow batt drain somewhere or possible my light is defective but don't think so. I have done no troubleshooting so far was just wondering if someone knows a weak part on this bike for me to take a first look at?

Get a cheap digital meter. The $4 harbor Freight one is fine.

Set it to measure amps.

disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Connect the red meter lead to the cable that you just removed from the battery.

Connect the black lead to the battery Negative.

Ideally the meter should read zero.

Start pulling fuses one at a time until you find the one that makes the meter reading drop. That is a circuit that is drawing power.

Now you can figure out what on that circuit is drawing the power.

Do not forget to pull the in line fuses in any add ons.

The 2nd gens have more than one location for fuses.

Instead of the meter you could also use a test light in a dark area, If the bulb glows at all there is power being drawn.

I let my bike sit all winter and it does not pull the battery down.

The light is wired all the time but is LED and only blinks once every few seconds and is not supposed to drain. It also has been on the bike for a few years with no problems. Nothing is recently installed and the drain is new. Thanks FF for the advice. My laziness was hoping for a quick fix with little thinking required.

I had a problem like that before, ended up being chafed wiring. Did you make any changes to the bike just before you started noticing this problem? If so, I would check any wiring in the areas where I was messing with the bike. Otherwise awiring diagram and Jeff's instructions are your best bet.