IGNORED

Highway Thru Hell

frankd

I woke up this morning (New Years Day) and laid in bed thinking about things, and a trip that I've been thinking about took the stage. I'm sure that most of you have watched episodes of "Highway Thru Hell" on The Weather Channel------I've been thinking about riding some of these roads, but of course in July or August. Do any of you live or at least ridden around the 'Highway'? We've gotten our friends interested in this also, but he added heading up NW so we can touch the south tip of Alaska also. It'll be a long ride (we live in Illinois) but it should be beautiful.

I'm also thinking about the actual route we'd take to get to and from where we cross into Canada so we can see some new things.

Frank

Are you referring to the show about the tow trucks on t Coquihalla highway in BC? if so its a great highway in summer , but the altitude makes it a unpredictable in winter. I plan on riding in southern BC and will run on part of the Coq but actually prefer the old highway thru the valley as its not just a high speed slab. If youll be around the area during the first couple of weeks in August, let me know, maybe we can make the schedules work. If you want more info on roads and stuff in BC , a good go to source is Silvrt as he has travelled most of them on bike over the years.

When you decide to go let us know so we can offer suggestions on the trip and maybe meet up along the way. There are several BC members here that can help out with trip planning , like they have done for me over the years.

here is a link to the Discovery Channel Canada show. Highway Thru Hell

Edited by friesman

Yes, that is the show and the roads I was talking about.

I'm not sure if we'll be going this year or next year. Our friends have a lot planned for this summer with their camper and we may not be able to squeeze this in. But I really want to do this!!!!

I plan on riding in southern BC and will run on part of the Coq but actually prefer the old highway thru the valley as its not just a high speed slab.
:sign yeah that:

The Coquihalla highway is a super slab which is great way to get to a destination but it is not so great as a journey on a bike. The Fraser Canyon highway is far nicer. The route you take mostly depends on where you will be starting from. The North Cascades route through northern Washington is an awesome ride and my preference on the Canadian side is the Crows Nest Highway that runs from Hope through the Koutenays and then swing north to go through Jasper Park. You could instead swing east through Banff Park but that will take you into Alberta which is mostly boring prairies and more super slabs before it connects to the Alaska Highway. Pretty much anywhere in BC is more fun on a bike than in Alberta unless you stick close to the mountains.

As Camos says... it is a super slab. Last time I rode it it was close to 100 F. Hot and dry. Summer of 2010 my son rode his bicycle over the Coqu.

Crows Nest is a very nice ride through Manning Park, and up to the Nelson area.

There are a few of us on the West Coast so do keep us in the loop about your ride.