IGNORED

2nd Gen front spring install.... HELP

KIC

I had this posted in the 2nd Gen Tech area, but since time is running out, I am throwing this out to all. I am going to help my friend install Sonic Progressive springs in his 2001 RSV this Thursday. I need to know what to expect. I have done this to my 1st Gen, but want to know what to expect on a 2nd Gen.

I hope to complete it in less than 4 hours. I have looked/searched for a thread on the spring installation process and the best I found was a statement on another thread that there were no 2nd Gen installation threads. I put Progressives in my 1st Gen, but the 2nd Gen looks different enough with the newer fork style etc.

So, any hints, tips, suggestions or good excuses I can use while working on this bike ? The fairing removal looks challenging, does the fork caps come off using a crescent on the square area right below the air valve ? It looks like once you loosen the 2 fork bracket cinch bolts, they should unscrew.

Any and all information will be helpful. I hope to knock this out in around 4 hours. Does that sound reasonable ? Also, how far form the top of forks should the oil be while the tubes are compressed ? How about any spacers on top of the new springs ?

Info...I'm begging for info... :confused24:

Bill

Probably took me a total of 10 man hours but I had to rebuild the forks. All new seals, rings and oil. The fairing is the hardiest part. If your only replacing the springs and not removing the forks then you might get it done in around 4 hours. While your in there you should remove the forks and dump the oil and replace with fresh oil. To remove the top caps, you are right, just remove them with a wrench that fits the square below the air valve, but keep down pressure on the cap or it will come shooting off at you. The spring kit come with instructions as to spacers and oil level.

Thanks. There are no oil leaks in the forks, so we are just going after the springs and the triple tree nut/bearings. I was planning on using a vacuum bleeder to suck all the fork oil out of the forks and replace with new oil. We already have one 32 oz bottle of fork oil. Do you know about how much is needed to refill both forks totally ?

Any fairing tips ? Anything to look out for or deal with ?

If you look in the tech section for 2nd gens there is a complete write up on replacing the fork oil. It suggests draining the oil thru the damper bolt at the bottom. In that tech section there is also a post that contains a complete assembly manual. Somewhere on this site there is also a Factory Shop manual for the RSV. I believe the recommended amount of oil is 558cc per leg but that write up has it for sure.

If you use the damper bolt to drain the forks, make sure you use an impact wrench to remove it. It is a Allen head bolt and very tight. If you try to remove it by hand you can and probably will strip it. Don't ask me how I know. the inner fairing can be move far enough from the forks without disconnecting all the electronics and cables, I think? I totally removed mine to remove the triple tree and install new bearings.

I changed mine in November the biggest problem I had was finding spacer stock. Sonic might not furnish a length long enough for both fork legs. Lowes carries what you will need it is schedule 80 abs pipe.Any way you will be cutting spacers for a 1/2 inch preload on the springs. Insert new springs measure from top of spring to top of threaded section of fork tube ,this should give you your spacer length. Button every thing back up and take for a ride.

?????

So we are in the middle of this adVenture. So much fun, so little time.

We pulled the old springs out and opened the new springs.... WHAT ?? They are 10-inches SHORTER ... The originals are 22 1/2 inches long and the Sonic's are 12 1/2 inches long. They gave us 16 1/2 inches of PVC. I know a previous post said that we would be short of PVC, but are the Sonic "progressives really supposed to be 10 inches shorter ?? Do I cut the PVC to total the length of the originals ? ? the forks are ( will be extended) during the install. So we are going to buy more PVC, just trying to figure out how long to make the PVC on each side.

IMG_2357.JPG

Edited by KIC

They are right. Just use the spacers and they are perfect and work GREAT. I too had to go to the store and get material for spacers. Don't know why Sonic hasn't gotten that right but they springs are GREAT. Much better than Progressive for these bikes.

We had to buy a 10-foot piece of schedule 80 to cut the correct length for each side. The owner ( DAV?) called after he rode home to say that it felt a lot better. We also tightened the triple tree nut(s) just a little so that helped with the front loose feeling.

We appreciate all the help and advice everybody gave in this thread and my "emergency" help thread that I posted today during the process.