IGNORED

the dreaded left side kickstand oil drip

well, winterized er' today and realized this was a landmark first year with no major wrenching or issues!! ... I think.

In keeping a long story short..

backtrack a bit,, I've been running Castrol 10-40 'motorcycle' oil since day one over the past 3 years and no oil leaks, till approx 9k miles ago, at which

point I switched to Rotella T tripl protection 15w-40. Since switching I have had kickstand oil leaking which eventually got worse and made a constant mess down

left side of bike from muffler to sidebag. After a lengthy process of elimination, found leaks at rear shaft drive, some around plastic gear indicator

and slight seepage at middle gear wire harness entry point. I finally inserted folded shop towels underneath rear drive area which did a good job absorbing that oil.

About 3k miles ago I switched back to Castrol and leaks all but stopped. I checked around leak points today and found slight seepage which looked more normal. Quite bizzare.

(Switched brands as the Rotella seems to be the oil of choice for many here,,, I know, if it works don't fix it)

Has anyone experienced this and is it wishfull thinking that these leaks will just go away?

Could this issue be oil brand related or just coincidence?

I have been using Castrol GTX 20w/50 for years and have a small drip on kickstand side that started about 2 yrs ago. My thought is that it may be coming from stator cover gasket. it doesn't happen all the time but usually when it's cooler out. Once again, my bike likes to dribble. :confused24:

Thomas

I have owned a dozen bikes and ran them all on automotive petro oil. I have never, ever had any problems. When I tore into my '87 engine (approximately 40,000 miles) and swapped the cams and springs, I decided to try synthetic non-detergent oil because it's a common belief today that detergents in the oil can hurt a motorcycle's wet clutch. After a 100 miles break-in with petro oil, I changed oil and filter using a recommended synthetic for diesels. The poor engine leaked in three places :shock3:

A forum member here suggested I try Rotella-T petro diesel oil. Presto, 96% of the leaks stopped. This was my experience and others could have similar, or very different results :stirthepot:

I now run Rotella-T in all four of my bikes . . .:cool10:

Edited by GaryZ

Ok all, this was something that bugged the crap out of me for months. Replaced the stator cover gasket and still it leaked. So I dyed the oil and found that the rubber plug that the statoe wires go through the case was the place that the oil was seeping through.... a little yamabond around the plug and Presto................DONE

• 2 weeks later...