IGNORED

Anyone have "little known secrets" about 2nd Gen

VentureFar

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still Wrong. Oh this was 2nd Gens... I'll stop til they catch up and see which gets here first. I needed a nap anyways.......:whistling:

Yammer Dan is just a bit upset bc his first Gen comes with the state mandatory antique license plate, :whistling: Youngsters marvel that its not in a museum....:stirthepot:

Don't know if this qualifies to be included here, but my fuel tap is permanently set at the Auxiliary position. No need to reach down in traffic to switch it over from the main if that runs out. I always peek at my fuel gauge (as one does) and I know when I'm running low.

Who else does this?[/]

Is that harmful in any way? You just leave the petcock valve on aux the whole time? It still runs fuel off the main tank until it hits a certain mark?

Don't know if this qualifies to be included here, but my fuel tap is permanently set at the Auxiliary position. No need to reach down in traffic to switch it over from the main if that runs out. I always peek at my fuel gauge (as one does) and I know when I'm running low.

Who else does this?[/]

Is that harmful in any way? You just leave the petcock valve on aux the whole time? It still runs fuel off the main tank until it hits a certain mark?

In a different thread we were told it is just personal choice. The switch to reserve is really just pulling from lower in the tank - an NO it doesn't HELP the sediment in the tank to drain from the bottom all the time because the bike is bouncing around the sediment all the time as you ride anyway.

On the rear brakes the inside pads will wear faster than the outside pads. When the inside pad gets down to about half of the outside pad you can switch them around therefore giving you a bit longer life on the rear pads.

If you leave the plastic dust cover off the rear brake you can look down into the pads from the top with the saddlebag open to see the widths of the brake pads. You will need a good flashlight to do this but you will not need to crawl around on the ground to check your rear brake pads.

When you change your rear tire you can put a 45 degree filler in place of the 90 degree and set it to the right side of the bike. Way easier to check your tire pressure before a ride.

Edited by AKRefugee

Not sure if this qualifies for a "little known" thing about a 2nd gen but it is an observation...

We just got back from a 3 day ride to various points in the BC interior.

We saw 2 2nd gen Ventures, 6 Victories, about 10 or so Goldwings, a spattering of other brands and types, and more Harleys than you can imagine.

Point being, there's not a lot of em around as we rarely see them on our travels and over the past month, not counting this past weekend, the ones we have seen belong to riders we know (two in total) and one used to be ours.

Guest tx2sturgis

The Venture trunk racheting gizmo is junk, just remove the strut, the trunk lid will operate much better.

If your fuel pump is a few years old, and the bike sits awhile, the pump sometimes will 'stick' and you will run out of fuel in under one mile..(blame this on ethanol). Just remove the left cover (above the passenger footboard) and tap on the pump (black cylinder looking thing) with a wrench or screwdriver handle, with the ignition 'ON'. You will hear it click back to life. Also, treat the fuel with Seafoam or Startron. Your fuel pump will thank you, by working better.

The hinge bolts on the saddlebags lids will loosen over time and use, just remove the fabric cover and tighten the hinge bolts.

If you havent found it yet, the factory tool kit is UNDER the right saddlebag foam floor pad, in a little recess. Your welcome.

Backing the Venture can be a chore, especially if its a slight uphill, or on grass, or with loose gravel under you. While seated on the bike, and with one hand on the grip, pull that grip back all the way toward you (bars fully left or right), reach back with the other hand, grab the pasenger grab handle. Lift up FIRMLY, and with your legs now fully pushing down on the ground, push the bike backwards a few feet. It works, although you will be backing in a curve. But you can make adjustments as you walk it backwards or change your hand positions to move the bike where you want it. (note, if you have a Venture trike, sidecar, or a GoldThing, this does NOT apply!) :moon:

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Point being, there's not a lot of em around as we rarely see them on our travels

Wanna know whats even more rare? A Ural sighting. Several times during nearly every ride, I am asked about the bike. People stick their camera phones out the windows of SUV's to get video of me riding by!

Not to mention the UDF (Ural Delay Factor) at gas stops, grocery stores, and stop lights.

Most people have never seen these, and it gets a LOT of attention.

(ok, thread hijacked and now back to the original program!)

:cool10:

Yammer Dan is just a bit upset bc his first Gen comes with the state mandatory antique license plate, :whistling: Youngsters marvel that its not in a museum....:stirthepot:

You know the 1st Gens got antique plates? Cause all you see of a 1st Gen gives you a good view of these!!!:whistling::rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot:

Wanna know whats even more rare? A Ural sighting. Several times during nearly every ride, I am asked about the bike. People stick their camera phones out the windows of SUV's to get video of me riding by!

Not to mention the UDF (Ural Delay Factor) at gas stops, grocery stores, and stop lights.

Most people have never seen these, and it gets a LOT of attention.

(ok, thread hijacked and now back to the original program!)

:cool10:

We saw one putt-putting down the highway on Sunday. We were standing outside a restaurant/bar with a couple other bikers and I commented "there goes a Ural" ... the other bikers didn't know what it was :confused24:

Guest tx2sturgis
We saw one putt-putting down the highway on Sunday. We were standing outside a restaurant/bar with a couple other bikers and I commented "there goes a Ural" ... the other bikers didn't know what it was :confused24:

Its so enjoyable to ride...and yes, its a bit of a 'putt-putt' experience. But for around town and running errands, picking up groceries, grabbing the mail, hauling stuff, its the best bike for the 'job'.

The Venture trunk racheting gizmo is junk, just remove the strut, the trunk lid will operate much better.

If your fuel pump is a few years old, and the bike sits awhile, the pump sometimes will 'stick' and you will run out of fuel in under one mile..(blame this on ethanol). Just remove the left cover (above the passenger footboard) and tap on the pump (black cylinder looking thing) with a wrench or screwdriver handle, with the ignition 'ON'. You will hear it click back to life. Also, treat the fuel with Seafoam or Startron. Your fuel pump will thank you, by working better.

The hinge bolts on the saddlebags lids will loosen over time and use, just remove the fabric cover and tighten the hinge bolts.

If you havent found it yet, the factory tool kit is UNDER the right saddlebag foam floor pad, in a little recess. Your welcome.

Backing the Venture can be a chore, especially if its a slight uphill, or on grass, or with loose gravel under you. While seated on the bike, and with one hand on the grip, pull that grip back all the way toward you (bars fully left or right), reach back with the other hand, grab the pasenger grab handle. Lift up FIRMLY, and with your legs now fully pushing down on the ground, push the bike backwards a few feet. It works, although you will be backing in a curve. But you can make adjustments as you walk it backwards or change your hand positions to move the bike where you want it. (note, if you have a Venture trike, sidecar, or a GoldThing, this does NOT apply!) :moon:

:happy34:

Good stuff- thanks.

In a different thread we were told it is just personal choice. The switch to reserve is really just pulling from lower in the tank - an NO it doesn't HELP the sediment in the tank to drain from the bottom all the time because the bike is bouncing around the sediment all the time as you ride anyway.

wanna bet! I found out the hard way, if you don't switch to your reserve every couple of fill ups you will be in for a big surprise. on our way back from Don's MD, we were almost home so I let the tank run down to reserve. When I switch over, witch was the fist time since sometime last year I got nothing but water. Lucky thing we were only a mile from a gas station. When we got home I drained off at least a 1/2 gallon of pure water. I don't know where I got it from. Maybe a bad load from a station on the road, maybe it was there all winter. All I know is, my tank will be on reserve all the time from now on. I still can't believe the bike ran great all the way to Ohio and back with all that water in there. Never once did it hickup.

so, after reviewing all the things that can go wrong on this bike, You're basically telling me to go buy a Goldwing?:stirthepot::twing:

Or get really smart and buy a 1st Gen.

Save a lot of bucks

Get a better looking bike

Get a faster bike

Get better choice of colors

Get more Bling

:innocent::clap2::clap2:

You know the 1st Gens got antique plates? Cause all you see of a 1st Gen gives you a good view of these!!!:whistling::rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot:

Those antique plates are hard to miss Dan...they are either light blue or bright yellow plates. This is so you can find your bike in a parking lot easier....:whistling::rotf::bighug:

wanna bet! I found out the hard way, if you don't switch to your reserve every couple of fill ups you will be in for a big surprise. on our way back from Don's MD, we were almost home so I let the tank run down to reserve. When I switch over, witch was the fist time since sometime last year I got nothing but water. Lucky thing we were only a mile from a gas station. When we got home I drained off at least a 1/2 gallon of pure water. I don't know where I got it from. Maybe a bad load from a station on the road, maybe it was there all winter. All I know is, my tank will be on reserve all the time from now on. I still can't believe the bike ran great all the way to Ohio and back with all that water in there. Never once did it hickup.

I just love reaching down and switching to reserve as I'm toolin down the road in traffic because the gas station ahead is 4 cents cheaper and I'm just a wee bit stubborn. Something I never did on my first gen.