IGNORED

Continuously Variable Transmission ?

GolfVenture

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/news/2010-subaru-legacy-revealed-5459_3.jpg

Subaru style CVT no belt here, none of the automotive style have a belt that I know of computer controlled. The ATV and UTV world of things have belts, depending on mods, tires how you ride etc you can get around a 100 hours of service out of a belt my experience.

The Subaru uses a rubber mounted "chain" instead of a belt. The Nissan Murano uses a CVT tranny and it uses the more traditional cogged belt. The Subaru chain belt is is a bit more durable but noisy. The Nissan belt is much quieter. You can easily get 150,000 to 200,000 out of either of these tyranny's with no major problems.

Earl

I saw a pair of nice looking Bergmans recently.

So, I Googled up on the 3 or 4 top scooters. (Maybe for old age? Not now.)

They all had CVT's.

One of the test pilots said he really liked the Bergman,,, except really hated the CVT.

This was a video and he really blasted the transmission.

Don't know if he got a bad one or it's in the breed?

The Subaru uses a rubber mounted "chain" instead of a belt. The Nissan Murano uses a CVT tranny and it uses the more traditional cogged belt. The Subaru chain belt is is a bit more durable but noisy. The Nissan belt is much quieter. You can easily get 150,000 to 200,000 out of either of these tyranny's with no major problems.

Earl

Shows how good I keep up with the new world. not

I don't put the automotive cvt in the same category as the atv,utv, scooter cvt.

Subaru did the cvt back in 1989 in the Justy

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/images/spacer.gifBreeds of CVT

Here is a run-down of the basic breeds used in passenger cars:

Belt-type CVT
: Also called a “push-type” or “Van Doorne” CVT. Engineers call it a push-type because of the belt design. The belt, developed by a Dutch company called Van Doorne, which holds the patent, is actually a stack of 70 to 80 flat, trapezoid-shaped steel plates joined in a loop by steel bands. The belt is clamped in the pulleys at pressures up to four tons, and “pushed” though its circuit by the pulleys. The compression loads on the belt’s individual plates vary with engine size, but they’re high, starting at 1200 pounds for a small four-cylinder engine. Because the clamping and load forces are so high even for small engines, the belt-type CVT is limited in how much torque it can take without flying apart. It’s currently in use on the Saturn Vue, Ford Freestyle and FiveHundred, Honda Civic and Insight, and Nissan Murano.

Chain-type CVT:
also called a “pull-type” or “Luk chain” CVT. This CVT also uses clamping pulleys. But instead of a belt, a chain (developed by a German company called Luk) is pinched between the pulley halves. The chain links are held together by dozens of pins, which also act as the contact surface with the pulley. The chain is pulled through its circuit by the engine pulley. The design’s two main advantages over the belt-type CVT: the chain can turn in a smaller diameter than the belt, allowing for a greater ratio spread in the same size transmission case; and the chain more easily handles higher horsepower engines. Chain-type CVTs are in use on the Audi A4.

Toroidal CVT:
This one is tricky. A torus is a geometric shape similar to a cone but with concave sides. Imagine putting a cone on a potter’s wheel and shaping the sides as it spins until they are rounded in. Now, put two toruses facing each other with a disc-shaped roller in between, in contact with both. Now turn the disc, so that as it rides higher on the curving side of one torus, it runs lower on the other. One will spin faster as the other spins slower. You have a toroidal CVT. Because it doesn’t rely on belts or chains or clamping pulleys, the toroidal CVT can transmit more torque. You won’t find a toroidal CVT in the U.S., at least not now. It’s currently only found on some Nissan

CVT is the best way to drive a vehicle...............if not a little boring. Any combustion engine has a powerband and a sweet spot (RPM) in that power band. A CVT is suppose to keep the engine in that sweetspot. That's why car companies keep adding a gear to auto transmissions to keep it near the sweet spot. Some have what...6 or 7 speeds now. A CVT is just better if they can make a reliable and strong enough one.

Does anyone know what wears out in a Continuously Variable Transmission?

Once again...Brian...with the ambiguous questions. Pleaswe tell us what application or vehicle you are referring to. Flyinfool was right about the belt...on the very early Subaru Justy, but it was a metal belt, not a rubber one. Everyone else was right about the more moderrn trans.

So, Brian, what vehicle...make..model...year...arer you talking about ??????

:backinmyday:

Once again...Brian...with the ambiguous questions. Pleaswe tell us what application or vehicle you are referring to. Flyinfool was right about the belt...on the very early Subaru Justy, but it was a metal belt, not a rubber one. Everyone else was right about the more moderrn trans.

So, Brian, what vehicle...make..model...year...arer you talking about ??????

My son Tye, showed me his new Subaru XV Crosstrek. Under the hood he showed me how easy it will be to change the oil filter. Hopefully other car manufactures are or will be doing the same. So I asked him where is the tranny filter. He said there are none and no tranny oil to change. As you can tell I don't keep up with auto innovations.

So the original question was to ask reguarding the maintenance of these types of trany and life.

My son Tye, showed me his new Subaru XV Crosstrek.

Brian, I have told you time and again, when it comes to questions about Subarus...you are supposed to come to me first, and only me. I am now put in a position where I have to cut you off, from all my knowledge base on Subarus. Bad Brian...bad Brian:no-no-no:

Brian, I have told you time and again, when it comes to questions about Subarus...you are supposed to come to me first, and only me. I am now put in a position where I have to cut you off, from all my knowledge base on Subarus. Bad Brian...bad Brian:no-no-no:

poor Brian is SOL now ...

The Yamaha Venture (snowmobile) uses CVT. We've been working with snowmobiles in class all week and they are pretty interesting. Those suckers can make some power and go like all get out. They even race them, this clip is snowmobiles against hayabusas [ame]

[/ame]