IGNORED

CB Radio Problem

I bought this 2006 Midnight RSV and the previous owner said he never used the CB, I have read all the threads on CB issues, the problem is the CB will come on and I get a CBERR message and it shuts off after about 15 seconds, I've checked all the connections as described on the forum and I do get 12 volts at the connector at the CB unit uder the trunk. Any Ideas?

Yes, I did check the ones behind the front fairing especially the yellow one, I also Ohmed the wires from the front to the rear and checked OK, the one under the passenger seat seemed a little loose so I taped it to make sure, Thanks, Steve.

Also, check to make sure your CB is actually connected to the CB antenna. A lot of these bikes come from the dealer with the antennas on the wrong side. The CB should be on the left (sitting on the bike)and connected to the Cb " blackbox" which is located under the trunk. Just to make sure, trace the cable from the antenna to the CB.

When I had that problem I cleaned the plugs under the fairing and all was well. I say cleaned all I did was unplug them spray with wd 40 because it was all we had at the motel and plug them back up again. I would go back in there and re check them and pay attention to the male ends to make sure no pins were broken off and stuck in the female ends. If they had never been apart I could see one of them breaking off when unplugged and remaining in the female end and easily going unnoticed.

Just a shot in the dark if all else fails.. I had those same problems and tried all the same great fixes folks have been offering, which did help some..

But what fixed my CB issues was relocating the wire bundle that comes around the steering neck and back up to the radio controller.. the wires were squished against other wires, and by moving the wires on top of the other so they were no longer binding or being squished resolved all my problems.. dunno if that would work in your case.. but that's what fixed my problems..

Best of luck..

Thanks for all the tips I'll try again tomorrow and let ya'll know, one thing I did try was put my helmet on and tried it through the helmet headset, I could hear the radio fine but tried the CB and could not hear nothing even if I pushed the press to talk switch before it shut itself off.

Does it only shut off when the cb is on ?

Good question as the problem needs to be narrowed down a little.

Checked the braided ground wires from the unit under the fairing. Not sure what the unit is but it is Clarion and these had some issues in earlier years.

Good luck

Brad

Yes, I'm turning it on with the CB button and it still goes off after 15 seconds, I did check all the connections again in the front and back, no bent pins and everything looks OK, also checked the ground. I also re-positoned all the cables with the same results, could it be the unit under the trunk is bad?

...could it be the unit under the trunk is bad?

Think everyone is suggesting other options before suggesting you replace that.

Possible it is the audio control unit on the handle bar? Maybe disassemble it and clean the contacts. Other than that.... sounds like you've ruled almost everything else out.

If you don't plug in the helmet connection.... does the cb shut itself off when using the speakers?

Being a 2006 .... is it still under warranty? Do you know the original date of purchase? Hopefully you have some warranty left.... warranty is 5 years from original date of purchase. If you don't know, ask a local Yamaha dealer to look it up based on VIN of the bike.

Yes it shuts of with the helmet cord plugged or not plugged in, and being a 2006 I'm pretty sure the waranty ran out, I also tried the tape player it don't work either, not that I would ever use it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

...and being a 2006 I'm pretty sure the waranty ran out....

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a possible warranty. The bike might have been purchased late 2007 or 2008 if you aren't the original owner. Simple call or visit to a Yamaha dealer can confirm.

If it is something major.... wouldn't you prefer to be absolutely sure it isn't covered? There is a possibility (even slim) there is a warranty and that Yamaha would do it at no charge if it is covered.