IGNORED

83 xvz fairing removal

mack

At the risk of beating a dead horse for you members, I have a couple questions. First, does the fairing come off in one piece. I've removed the luggage, side trim, left and right tops off the upper, the lowers and the trim around the head light. I can see several mounting bolts, but can't determine if the head light as well as all the wiring and the instrument panel will stay with the bike. Not much room in there for my big hands to start undoing plugs etc.

Second one concerns the replacing the collector. Do you have to drop the entire exhaust? Whats the secret hand shake for getting the two rear pipes into the top of the collector if you don't have to remove everything from the manifolds down?

Hey Mack, removing the fairings is really easier than most people think. With the headlight and windshield trim off. you will need to remove the bottom cover under the headlight, four screws, the turn signals lights and the mirrors, two screws and the side pieces that connect near the radiator. At this point, it is just a matter of going around the fairing and removing the screws holding it on. Just remember, do not force anything and make sure you are holding it good when you take off the last screw so it does not fall off.

You said you removed the tops off the uppers, so I assume you removed the panel that holds the speakers in place. If not, you will need to do that and be careful, they can be brittle. Make sure you support the weight of the speakers. You can also unhook the speakers through the hole where the signal lights were.

RandyA

Once you have the headlight trim off you are on your first step to spilting the halves. You see the intake scoop under the head light? Remove the 4 screws holding that on and when you remove that scoop you will see a metal cross strap holding the two halves together. Only one side will need to be disconnected there. That is the only point, with the scoop and the cross strap, where the two halves actually attach to each other.

The trick I use (and I do this a lot) is when I remove the mirrors from the bike I reinsert those mirror screws back through the fairing into the fairing subframe. That gives me a hanging point to control the halves as I disconnect all the other screws. Kind of like an exrta set of hands to balance them until I remove those last screws. Works well when reinstalling the fairing also.

As far as the collector......somebody will pop in on that. I haven't gone that route yet. (knock wood)

Mike

Take care removing the screws on the scoop under the headlight, I found mine rusted & the head of the screws were stripped.

It's not that it's difficult, it's just a PITA. After you have it off, sit back & think if there is ANYTHING you want to do or add under there (tighten neck bearing, add lights, etc) you REALLY won't want to do this again! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/suicide.gif

Got it off with no damage or lost screws. Not what I expected at all. I think I have the collector replacement figured out. I've got to pull the rear exhausts, back end and gas tank out to get at everything. Ive got two bikes apart now and quickly running out of shop room, but I'll make out ok.

Got it off with no damage or lost screws. Not what I expected at all. I think I have the collector replacement figured out. I've got to pull the rear exhausts, back end and gas tank out to get at everything. Ive got two bikes apart now and quickly running out of shop room, but I'll make out ok.

Why do you need to take this much apart to get to the collector? You should only have to take the front pipes off and loosen the clamps on the back pipes and then take the two bolts holding the collector on and then wiggle it off.:confused24:

RandyA

Why do you need to take this much apart to get to the collector? You should only have to take the front pipes off and loosen the clamps on the back pipes and then take the two bolts holding the collector on and then wiggle it off.:confused24:

RandyA

You really don't need to pull gas tank, this is getting way involved with top of bike to work on bottom of bike.

To get collector back on, the rear down pipes can be slightly loosened on the heads. This can be done by pulling side covers off. The collector will slip on rear down tubes then over the insert the 2 cap screws that hold the collector on to block. Last thing will be front pipes.

Picture shows my 1300 block upside down, view is from the rear. There are 2 bosses on flat part of case just behind oil pan opening, this is where collector screws go into block. A mirror is very helpful to locate them, they are in a hateful place to feel around for.

Gary

Well this bike is completely foreign to me, and taking it down during the winter will be a good learning curve for me. I want to check stuff over before i ride it. Just because someone selling a bike says it's ready for riding doesn't mean it really is. I also have a back issue so prolonged kneeling and bending over in an awkward position is not in my best interest. By pulling it down a bit, i can see what i'm doing and accomplish it without too much strain. If i get in over my head i'll ask here for advice.