IGNORED

Temperature question

az1103

What can it mean if the exhaust from the right bank is cool compared to the left side? I noticed it and checked the cylinder temp. It appears the right bank is running some 20 degrees cooler, at least at start up and quite a while afterwards. I checked the carb vacuums and they appear well balanced. Pulled a plug on the right and it looks practically new! Overall the bike seems to run just fine but a bit cold at start and slow to warm up...but then, that's how it's always been.

Not sure if I should be concerned about it or not....

Any ideas?:confused24:

The first thing I would do is check each cyl. temp individually.

Just run it for 30 sec or so then CAREFULLY feel each exhaust and compare.

These bikes run amazing well on 3 cyl.

When I bought my first VR I figured everything was good....then when I bought a 2nd one a few months later I was amazed at the power it had! Turned out the first one was only running on 3 cyl!:doh:

After a dealer replaced my head gaskets (under warrenty) my right front cylinder was about 30 degrees cooler than the rest, the exhaust on that side was a little cooler. Long story short the dealer cracked my cam shaft on the right front cylinder. Bike idled rough, no power at lower rpm and backfired on deceleration. Ate gas but would still accelerate fast enough if you kept rpms up. Used a non contact infrared thermometer from sears to verify temp differences. How you can crack a camshaft by over torquing the bolts is beyond me but goes to show what persaverance can accomplish. Dealer claimed the bike was running fine this was my third royalstar so I knew better. Head gaskets replacement cost me nothing, but having another dealer repair the dammage cost me 800 and Yamaha refused to cover that under warrenty as it was damaged by improper repair work

Al

Well folks, I tried pulling plug wires while running; Neither cylinder on right side makes any difference. Pulling either left side will kill engine. Turned it off pulled plugs, both sides look just fine!

Took off tank and intake manifolds....Runs as before. if I manually move plungers on right side - not much difference. If I move plungers on left side engine stalls.....

I would have said no spark on right side but got slightly zapped while pulling both right side wires. Not sure what to do at this point......Any suggestions?

Can the coils have failed on right? Seems unlikely that both would go!

Really baffled at this point.

How many miles on bike? Has the bike been sitting? When was the last time it ran well? Sounds like a fuel problem to me. If you are getting shocked, you likely have spark. Have you done a simple spark check? Put a good plug on each wire , be sure the plug has good ground and see if it sparks when you turn it over.

If you have weak spark, check resistance on the plug caps as dacheedah suggested.

If it sparks, your problem is fuel assuming that you have compression.

Have you had the head gasket recall performed on your 07?

RSTDdog

No, no head-gasket recall...Never got any notice. Spark already checked and OK so I believe you are right that it's probably a fuel problem. I'm gonna pull the carbs and rebuild them. What abot that recall? What's that about?

Technically its not a recall so notices did not get mailed out. Yamaha issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to dealers informing them that certain range of VINs on 2007 RSV and RSTD models did not have the head gaskets properly torqued. Any new bikes in dealer inventory are supposed to have the head gasket retorqued before delivery. Any bikes that come in for service in the affected VIN range are supposed to be checked. Head gaskets that blow in the affect range, Yamaha has been picking up the tab.

Dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN is in the range. Google may turn up the TSB somewhere.

RSTDdog

I'd still do the seafoam before pulling carbs. a heavy dose in fresh gas, drive as normal but let them soak , drive and soak , , , you would be surprised at how it will clean the carbs up, I would go a couple tanks. Once all done pull the plugs and replace then check her for heat.

Took apart the carbs.......fairly cruddy with evaporated powdered fuel! Ordered parts from Oregon even though Yama HQ is about 15 miles from me....crazy system! It will take about 10 days as some are coming from Wisconsin! That's what we get for living in a huge country.....Heading for Machu Pichu, Peru and Easter island towards end of month so hope everything gets here soon.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Took apart the carbs.......fairly cruddy with evaporated powdered fuel! Ordered parts from Oregon even though Yama HQ is about 15 miles from me....crazy system! It will take about 10 days as some are coming from Wisconsin! That's what we get for living in a huge country.....Heading for Machu Pichu, Peru and Easter island towards end of month so hope everything gets here soon.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Your report on the Inerd's of your carbs is why we All Here!!! Use "" SEA-FOAM "" Several Times, per year !!! Any new members, or lets say fairly new Venture owners take notice !!! Buy some Sea Foam on the next trip to the store, and make good use of the stuff !!! Nuff Said :whistling:

Based on what I read here, and the fact that you do get heat out of the right side, I'd bet you have plugged pilot jets.

Goose

The pilot jets are tiny. They block easily and when they block no amount of seafoam will clear them.

Stripping, checking and re-building the Jetblocks with new parts will cost around $100, but it will cure all low throttle running issues if the electrica and the rest of the carbs are okay.

It will certainly cure a blocked pilot jet.

The pilot jets themselves are actually only around $3 each, and they are better replaced than cleaned.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the parts and rebuilt the carburetors ! :shock3:

That was no small job but she is purring and runs like on day one :banana:

I guess that has been sneaking up on me so slowly that I didn't notice the difference until it really got bad!

Seafoam is OK but actually doing the job just can't be beat! Now to plan the next big trip!:dancefool: