IGNORED

removing hiway striping paint

jryan

Got home from trip & after washing bike, I noticed I have tiny yellow specks of paint on windshield and fairing. I remember going by a striping crew & wind was blowing...thought I stayed clear of em but apparently not. Is there any cleaner that'll remove the specks without damaging the plastics?

There are two products that should work: Goof-off and Goo-Gone. You should be able to find either of them at most hardware stores. Goof-off is specifically inteded to remove some types of paint.

I THINK they are both safe for our factory paint, but I cannot guarantee that, so best to test them on some hidden spot first. Note that the fuel tank is the only part of the bike that has a hard coating to help resist solvents such as gas, so test somewhere else, like the back side of a saddlebag.

You might also ask at an auto-parts store - I'd think this would be common enough for them to have a solution.

Goose

There are two products that should work: Goof-off and Goo-Gone. You should be able to find either of them at most hardware stores. Goof-off is specifically inteded to remove some types of paint.

I THINK they are both safe for our factory paint, but I cannot guarantee that

Goo gone is citris based & works pretty good on alot of stuff. I've use it on everything leather to painted surface with no damage at all. And it works!

GOOF OFF is petroleum based & is harsher. I have used it on plastics (windscreen) & it has screwed it up like sandpaper. Also if you use it on paint, be gentle & after the mark is off use cleaner to remove it. It will eat paint if left on.

I do not want to disagree too strongly here, but I believe the cautions posted by cabreco are MUCH more reasonable than what painerman67 said.

I just went out and full soaked a bit of rag in Goof Off, then rubbed HARD and fairly long on an RSV lower fairing. It took quite a bit of time before there was even a hint of paint color on the white t-shirt, and since the bike was silver, that could have simply been imbedded dirt. The paint on the fairing looked untouched, but there was just a hint of tackiness to the surface.

As stated by cabreco, I do believe Goof Off will damage the paint if left on for a prolonged time, but if I had other paint on my RSV that would not come off with other products, I would not hesitate to use Goof Off carefully to clean it up. I would expect the foreign paint to come of quickly and easily - long before the underlying factory paint could be damaged.

The label does state that it contains XYLENE and "Damages many plastics and some automotive finishes." Note the words "many" and "some" instead of "all". I stand by my original advice - use with caution and test in an inconspicuous area first. It is a good tool to have, but any tool can cause damage if used carelessly.

Edited by V7Goose

• 3 weeks later...

I would file a claim with what ever municipality it was that was doing the paint. Tell them date, time and locations and they will pay repaint or what ever is needed just in case it won't come off. Also on the windsjield Turtle wax fine scratch remover will take the paint off and will not harm the shield.

I'd be hesitant to use any type of paint remover on a painted bike. Our 1stGens and RSV's are painted. That highway lane paint is tough stuff. I'm not saying this would work, but if the paint is over spray I'd try spraying the area with WD40 and very carefully cut the 'dots' off with a razor blade. Especially if the bike has a good wax job to begin with. When taking a long trip I spray the lowers with PAM. Road crud washes right off. Pledge for the buggy windshield...

in iowa they use latex paint on the highway. degreaser should take the other paint off the longer its on the harder it gets. and a steam cleaner will work just dont blow off all paint have to add this be very carefull paint has glass beads in it will scratch bad

Edited by rbig1
forgot