IGNORED

Fuel Pump issue?

Tonight I tried to go for a ride on my 06RSV. It started, but was hardly running...then would stop after 15 seconds of chugging. I kept trying & almost ran the battery out. It would try to start, and sometimes did, but then seemed like it was only running on 1 cylinder. When I quit trying, I felt the pipes & 1 was hot (left rear) but the other 3 were just barely warm.

I pulled all the plugs & they looked ok.

Noticed that I wasn't hearing the fuel pump click when turning key on. I drained fuel from 2 carbs & turned on key...still no clicking. I rapped on the fuel pump...still nothing.

I didn't check the fuel filter...it's fairly new...but if the pump isn't clicking I didn't see a reason to.

Is there more checking I should do or is it definitely a dead pump? :confused24:

Follow cable from pump. about 6 inchs, open the plug, check for 12 Volts.

Check the Ignition fuse.

Check the Run Stop Red Switch on rt handle bar for High resistance.

Check resistance across the On off contacts of the Ignition Switch!! You might have one of the infamous failing Ignition Switches.

Yah! You may want to enlist the help of someone and monitor the voltage across the fuel pump. You should see 12 volts across the fuel pump for just about 5 seconds when the ignition switch is turned on then zero volts until the bike starts then 12 volts will return...

Yah! You may want to enlist the help of someone and monitor the voltage across the fuel pump. You should see 12 volts across the fuel pump for just about 5 seconds when the ignition switch is turned on then zero volts until the bike starts then 12 volts will return...

I pulled the fuel pump connector and did verify I get 12v for about 5 seconds after turning key on. I also hear the relay click once when it first turns on and sends power to the fuel pump. So since the fuel pump is getting 12v and not running, it must be that fuel pump right? No need to check any further is there?

I am gonna try bypassing the fuel pump just so I know how to do it if I ever breakdown somewhere besides my garage!

Yes, highly likely your fuel pump bit the big one. Did you use the other wire on the fuel pump or chassis for ground when measuring? If you measured across both wires then definately the fuel pump. If you used chassis ground there may be a problem with the ground wire to the fuel pump...

Yes, highly likely your fuel pump bit the big one. Did you use the other wire on the fuel pump or chassis for ground when measuring? If you measured across both wires then definately the fuel pump. If you used chassis ground there may be a problem with the ground wire to the fuel pump...

I measured across 2 connector pins.

I then bypassed pump & connected fuel tank direct to carbs...fired right up like it used to. Will order new pump tomorrow. Glad it happened before leaving on trip in 2 wks!