IGNORED

Cooler / License Plate ?

GolfVenture

So what do you all think. Will this pass?

What do those who pull a trailer do when the cooler rack blocks the plate.

I know I could drill holes in back of the cooler rack, and put the plate there.

Edited by Golf&Venture

Most state require that the license be in full view when viewed from the rear at a distance of XX feet and illuminated when headlights are utilized. You should seriously consider a second mount location if that tall cooler is to be used.

This might work except "somebody" might get hung up on the technicality that the plate must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and illuminated at night...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/cooler3.jpg

Edited by mbrood

Think I will make a plate to attach the License plate and frame with a light. Only I will hang the plate below the cooler rack so I can carry something that might be a bit bigger than the cooler rack so the luggage can hang over the edge of the rack.

I have a rack I mount behind the trike for either a cooler or luggage for shorter weekend trips. It does block most of the license plate but have never been stopped yet by any LEO's. There's a lot of cars running the same set up so I'm inclinded that the law is pretty lenient even if it's against the rules to block a license plate from view. It's not like one is trying to hide the plate from view to begin with.

Try one of these...a little pricey... but shouldn't be hard to make one

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=433&cat=397&page=1

Thats a LOT pricey, neat idea, but not a snowballs chance in hell that I would pay that money for it

:no-no-no:

but easy to make for anout 1/4 of the cost. every thing made for a Wing is Pricey

Edited by Riderduke

Brian,

How did you attach the rack to the trailer hitch? Looks like the hitch might be a Markland. Is the rack a quick disconnect from the hitch? Did you remove the hitch ball?

I've got a Markland hitch on my '90 and have been kicking around the idea of a rack like that.

Brian,

How did you attach the rack to the trailer hitch? Looks like the hitch might be a Markland. Is the rack a quick disconnect from the hitch? Did you remove the hitch ball?

I've got a Markland hitch on my '90 and have been kicking around the idea of a rack like that.

Go to http://www.rivcoproducts.com/

Scroll down a little an on the left search for hitch.

Look for

SKU: GL18008

Quick Detach Cooler Rack (11"x16")

Woo prices went up by about $35.00

There is a bigger rack SKU: GL18010

But it blocks my turn signals

Besides I also go the Golf Caddy.

It disconnects really easy.

Most LEO's won't bother you, but that does leave some that do. Someone here needs to come up with a quick mount for a plate that locks on the bike, can be moved over to the cooler rack when needed. I would put a white light for the plate( that does not shine to the rear) , your other lights are visible.

Think of hunting season, lots of racks hiding plates and few get tickets. If you were real worried you could put a laminated picture the correct size of your plate or also ask your DMV for a duplicate plate for the cooler rack.

I do like the idea.

Under the rack makes sense, then you just have to negotiate speed bumps.

Hmmm did not think about that. Being that I already did it last night I went and measured it this morning and I have 12 1/2 inch clearance. I have a couple of speed bumps on my street. I'll see how it does. Ther I could always move the plate up and use the lower holes.

I did find a nice soft LED white license plate light. Looks really nice and soft at night.

Brian,

Oops forgot to answer your other questions.

Yes it is a Markland hitch.

The Ball goes through the rack attachment with the hole guides up and the flat surface to the flat surface of the markland hitch.