IGNORED

Assistance locating tilt angle lean (whatever you want to call it) sensor

Well, I am well into my bike trying to figure out what the heck my deal is (as per thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68293) and have it basically narrowed down to the ignition unit or the lean/tilt/angle/bank sensor.

The service manual has it labeled on page 8-3 as an "Emargency stop switch" (spelling accurate as per service manual, which made me chuckle). I have also 'located' it on the parts fiche (Part 54 on "Electrical 1" 2001 RSV [not that the year matters): (EMERGENCY STOP SWITC 4BH-82576-01-00 (replaces 4BH-82576-00-00))

Now, my problem is I cannot find the darn thing on my bike. I have checked behind both lower cowlings, under the tank, along the neck and I cannot for the life of me find it!

Here is a picture of it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Venture-Royal-Star-XVZ1300-BANK-ANGLE-SENSOR-/370012459623?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5626761267&vxp=mtr

Anyone know where this s.o.b actually is?!?!?!?!?!?

Much obliged.

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Cheers.

What bike do you have LilBeaver, not in your message or avatar/signature ? I assume you have a 2001 or so Venture. I tried finding something, but no luck yet. Still looking and using 2001 Royal Star Venture.

PS; I give up, no progress here, sorry.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

What bike do you have LilBeaver, not in your message or avatar/signature ? I assume you have a 2001 or so Venture. I tried finding something, but no luck yet. Still looking and using 2001 Royal Star Venture.

Fuzzy

She has a 2001 Venture.

Is this what you are looking for?

See attached picture, item #2.

Looks like 2nd picture on a real Venture (1st Gen)

Then while you are at it try this thread.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58880

Gary

Dingy, I can not find it, sorry. Is it there ? I am now interested just because I can not find it either, sorry ? Bank/lean sensor ?

Fuzzy

PS; I give up, no progress here, sorry.

Fuzzy

Oops, sorry. I should have made that more clear in my original post.

2001 RSV

Is this what you are looking for?

See attached picture, item #2.

Looks like 2nd picture on a real Venture (1st Gen)

Then while you are at it try this thread.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58880

Gary

Yes that is what I am looking for. Investigating the cable routing attachment now. As for the header not being right, I have no idea why mine doesn't show up I made that change long long ago. See attached.

Dingy, I can not find it, sorry. Is it there ? I am now interested just because I can not find it either, sorry ? Bank/lean sensor ?

Fuzzy

Looking now.

Okay, this must be it: Item #2 on page 2-38.

BUT, how in the world is one supposed to get to that ON the bike :think::think::think:

Thanks guys!

If I can actually find it on a REAL bike, I will take REAL pictures of it and post it here.

Back out to the man cave WITH a new idea of where to look... drum roll please...

Okay, found it. Holy smokes. Now I need someone with very tiny tiny tiny hands...

Thanks for the help folks!

Edited by LilBeaver

Attached are a couple of pictures of the inside of the tilt sensor.

When bike is upright to about 45 deg the brass washer rides on the arced bar (4th picture). Infinite ohms between leads.

It triggers the cutout circuit when it contacts either of the angled brass plates (3rd picture). 0 or close to 0 ohm reading

Once again, this one is from a 1st gen, which does not have the same P/N as a 2nd gen.

Gary

Thanks a lot for those pictures Gary, that is quite helpful.

I was working under the assumption that the design was similar between the 1st and 2nd gen but I do not know if that is true any more.

When I unplug the sensor and crank the bike, I get the check engine light code indicating that the tilt sensor has tripped. If I jump the two contacts with a 300 ohm resistor (I was not quite brave enough to short it out completely), I get the same code. Measuring the resistance of my sensor [while bike upright, of course] I end up with 61 kOhms! I have verified that my meter is functioning properly by checking it against some known resistors.

With the sensor plugged in I do NOT get the check engine light flashing and it will start right up (in the garage at least). My initial problem was that I will get a non-start condition consisting of the bike cranking normally, (fuel pump operational) and simply not starting. (as explained in the other thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68293 ).

With the sensor unplugged, I get the flashing check engine light (fault code 9, which IS consistent with the service manual) and the bike cranks fine but will not start.

I am still trying to come up with a way to get this dumb thing off my bike so that I can inspect it first hand.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the inside of the tilt sensor.

When bike is upright to about 45 deg the brass washer rides on the arced bar (4th picture). Infinite ohms between leads.

It triggers the cutout circuit when it contacts either of the angled brass plates (3rd picture). 0 or close to 0 ohm reading

Once again, this one is from a 1st gen, which does not have the same P/N as a 2nd gen.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I am really surprised at just how simple it works. A great idea from the Yamaha people.

Fuzzy

Thanks a lot for those pictures Gary, that is quite helpful.

I was working under the assumption that the design was similar between the 1st and 2nd gen but I do not know if that is true any more.

When I unplug the sensor and crank the bike, I get the check engine light code indicating that the tilt sensor has tripped. If I jump the two contacts with a 300 ohm resistor (I was not quite brave enough to short it out completely), I get the same code. Measuring the resistance of my sensor [while bike upright, of course] I end up with 61 kOhms! I have verified that my meter is functioning properly by checking it against some known resistors.

With the sensor plugged in I do NOT get the check engine light flashing and it will start right up (in the garage at least). My initial problem was that I will get a non-start condition consisting of the bike cranking normally, (fuel pump operational) and simply not starting. (as explained in the other thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68293 ).

With the sensor unplugged, I get the flashing check engine light (fault code 9, which IS consistent with the service manual) and the bike cranks fine but will not start.

I am still trying to come up with a way to get this dumb thing off my bike so that I can inspect it first hand.

I wish you the very best LilBeaver. You are way ahead of me when comes to the electrical. Hope you get it soon.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, found it. Holy smokes. Now I need someone with very tiny tiny tiny hands...

Thanks for the help folks!

OK looking at your 2nd picture in this quoted post. What the heck good does a headlight adjust knob do you where that one is located ? Under the fairing, between the forks, that was a cost cutting move if I ever saw one. Heck with that linkage bar we spent big Yen for on those old Maytags, we will improve this baby.

The 1st gens have the very same knob located on the dash, you can adjust headlight while riding and with bike loaded to whatever condition. Looks like you could not reach this sitting on the bike.

Gary

• 11 years later...

Hello guys, I am trying to eliminate the sensor doe anyone know if this was accomplished, I read adding a resistor might do the trick, just wondering if I can get the exact ohms or steps I need to follow to eliminate this problem

thank you

9 hours ago, anglngr9 said:

Hello guys, I am trying to eliminate the sensor doe anyone know if this was accomplished, I read adding a resistor might do the trick, just wondering if I can get the exact ohms or steps I need to follow to eliminate this problem

thank you

Maybe you could explain 'sensor doe' ?

On 5/30/2023 at 12:04 PM, anglngr9 said:

thank you

Why are you trying to eliminate the sensor?  

If you look at "Electrical - 1" parts diagram the lean angle sensor is item number 58 and looks to be in the left cowl.

58 SENSOR, LEAN ANGLE
4BH-82576-01-00

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2006/royal-star-venture-xvz13tfv/electrical-1