IGNORED

Coolant Leak 4 cylinders

Hi folks.. Yesterday I had the bike parked outside in the cold for a few hours while cleaning out the garage (30'F or less with the winds?).

Today I noticed a noticeable green coolant fluid puddle under the bike, about the size of your flat hand on the floor.. I pulled the cooling fins off the front right cylinder and saw where coolant leaked out of the hole (as seen in photo). I think this is the frost plug? The bike was not run that day nor were any leaks apparent before.

I pulled the other three covers off and saw the same thing but not as much fluid leaked out as on the front right cylinder.. Best that I can tell the majority of the fluid on the floor came from this cylinder.

What's the remedy for this, a quick fix or an expensive repair etc? Any info would be highly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

i would order new rubber plugs from Yamaha,and replace. but the quick fix is to put a coin over the rubber plug and put the fins back on. The thickness of the coin is enough usually to stop the leak, Ive read of several guys that put the coin in years ago and havnt had a leak since.

brian

Edited by friesman

Thats a drain plug for you coolant, it can be removed and cleaned by screwing in the top end of a spark plug ( the end the wire connects to ). put it back in and some people tape a shim ( about the thickness of a dime ) on the inside of the fake fins. Not a serious problem, if the rubber looks bad on the plug replace it.

Maybe it would be a good time to refresh you coolant.

Thanks for the info, gents. I used a spark plug to tap into the drain and was surprised at how 'too' easily it came out.. odd. Might well order new ones and yet still do the coin shim trick for additional peace of mind. Are they supposed to be a tight snug fit or a loose fit?

But it makes me wonder why these decided to leak when parked outside for a few hours in the cold? I wonder what happens to those who park their bikes in unheated sheds etc when the temps drop well below zero for days.. Might it be that the fluid wasn't the proper mix or type for this climate area? I do recall having it flushed a while back but can't remember if it was done locally or down in the USA on a road trip etc.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

as others here have stated, you can put a dime over the plug to push on it harder, or you can just screw a spark plug top into them and yank em out and install new ones.

not a tough job , they are about $5.34 each retail, here is the part number.

90338-11152-00 PLUG,SPEC'L SHAPE

they start leaking due to age/ expand and contract so many times over the years.

Edited by eusa1

Thanks M8.. best to get new ones, mostly because how easily one of them slipped out.. The dime shim is a good 'emergency' tip as well, in case of leakage out on the road.. I read up on the tech info to flush so I think I have this one covered. Another thing added to the winter project list ;)

Again, many thanks to all who responded with assistance.

Cheers

The cold probably made the rubber harden and shrink.

Get ready to be surprised at how much those little plugs cost. 'Round $10 ea at the dealer.

These plugs eventually leak, no matter what. I tend to replace them whenever I change coolant. The leaks are never more than a small dribble, usually most noticeable under a cooled bike. You could live with it forever, but it is annoying.

The cold probably made the rubber harden and shrink.

Get ready to be surprised at how much those little plugs cost. 'Round $10 ea at the dealer.

These plugs eventually leak, no matter what. I tend to replace them whenever I change coolant. The leaks are never more than a small dribble, usually most noticeable under a cooled bike. You could live with it forever, but it is annoying.

see post # 5 for part # and dealer price

i would order new rubber plugs from Yamaha,and replace. but the quick fix is to put a coin over the rubber plug and put the fins back on. The thickness of the coin is enough usually to stop the leak, Ive read of several guys that put the coin in years ago and havnt had a leak since.

brian

Been there done that but I put the penny on the inside of the fin with tape and it works fine. Replace em when you get a chance.

The suggestion of the penny or dime may work well for an RSV, but I beleive it is too thick for a 1st gen. Due to the cast side cover plates and screw position, a cover plate can be snapped with too thick a shim.

Don't ask me how I know this.

:confused24:

Gary

I ordered new ones today, $6.95 CDN each.. not bad.. I was just surprised that all four would leak at the same time.. or perhaps enough now to make it more visible.. might explain that occasional misting residue behind the jugs at the odd time.. Hmm ..

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

Good day everyone. I has been cold here in Kansas this past week. I usually start my two motorcycles up every week and let them run for about ten minutes to get a good warm up. I then shut the gas off on my Royal Star Venture. But today I did notice some coolant under the Yamaha center of the bike, on my trailer which is park inside my garage. I keep them plugged in into a tender all the time except to start them. Can some tell me where this coolant leak might be coming from? Please email me. Thanks

Good day everyone. I has been cold here in Kansas this past week. I usually start my two motorcycles up every week and let them run for about ten minutes to get a good warm up. I then shut the gas off on my Royal Star Venture. But today I did notice some coolant under the Yamaha center of the bike, on my trailer which is park inside my garage. I keep them plugged in into a tender all the time except to start them. Can some tell me where this coolant leak might be coming from? Please email me. Thanks

It appears you are new in here. Welcome.

To expand on the above answers to your question -

The side fins on the engine jugs are just cosmetic. Couple of cap head bolts hold them on. Remove these fins and you will likely see the freeze plugs that are leaking. Shim and/or replace as outlined above.

Again, welcome.

Drop your $12 in the plate and enjoy Venture knowledge and witty banter all year.

RR