I have been very lucky with my RSTD. The stock battery finally died last week (after 7 trustworthy/faultless years!) This is the winter to do some more detailed maintenance. I have an estimate of $750 from my local dealer for adjusting the valves, new plugs, synching the carbs, and flush/fill of the coolant system. That seems fair to me. However, the dealer is saying that - at 25,000 miles - I am overdue to have the steering head repacked at $900!!! No way. Just asking: how much have you paid to have the steering head repacked (and is it even necessary?) As always, THANKS! in advance.

There is a lot of labor involved in packing steering bearings. So much that it costs almost as much as replacing them. In school they flat out told us that we should always just replace the bearings rather than simply repack because the cost increment is tiny.

IMHO it's cheaper to just use them until they need replacement than to service them regularly to extend their life. Of course you run the risk of having one go bad in June and have to wait 6 weeks to get it through the shop.

If you're inclined to do them yourself and have lots of winter free time it might be a different matter.

When I bought my 07 this year and before I found this site I had the local dealer service it at 18,000 miles . change oil,sync carbs., new plugs, changed coolant,repacked steering bearings, checked brakes and air filters for around 750.00 . Said it wasnt time for the valves but it was time for the swing arm to be repacked but if I wanted to wait it would probably be fine. Did you mean and additional 900 or 900.00 total.

On a RSTD it's not that hard since you don't have the faring. On a RSV, it is a very time consuming affair since you have to pull the inner faring which means you have to disconnect all the electrics. PITA.

$900 is a crock!! I did my bearings at 60k miles and they were still full of grease. They did need tightening, but otherwise fine. YMMV.

RR

Its a new thread. Some of you will remember that a few months ago I asked for your impressions in comparing the FJR 1300 against a Honda ST1300.

Well just a few days ago I came across a ST1300 with 108'000 klms up for a fairly good price for here in the outback of Western Australia.

Took it for a blat and got caught with my hand in the old hip pocket. Could not resist it. What a difference from the Royal Star You can not compare the two machines in any way at all, except for the fact that they are both excellent machines and do their intended jobs perfectly. So now I am spoilt, and the envy of all my riding buddies They were envious before when I would turn up on the Royal

Star, With its awsome note and the four exhaust pipes and all the extra crome as well as the four cylinders, But you should have seen them this morning. It certianly gave me a big smile . And now none of those HD. riders have any hope of making me swallow their dust. What a great feeling.

I appologise for no photo but as soon as i learn how to take a photo and post it I promise that I will Cheers to all

Winston66 (western Australia):bighug::rotf::rotf:

I have been very lucky with my RSTD. The stock battery finally died last week (after 7 trustworthy/faultless years!) This is the winter to do some more detailed maintenance. I have an estimate of $750 from my local dealer for adjusting the valves, new plugs, synching the carbs, and flush/fill of the coolant system. That seems fair to me. However, the dealer is saying that - at 25,000 miles - I am overdue to have the steering head repacked at $900!!! No way. Just asking: how much have you paid to have the steering head repacked (and is it even necessary?) As always, THANKS! in advance.

Fwiw, I had Alleman Cycle Plex in Shreveport do a valve adj only and was charged around $250 plus tax, spring '10. If i'm not mistaken they drained the coolant, but can't remember.

Thanks for all the replies. Two dealerships in the Jackson area have gone under in the past few years (one was a Honda-Yamaha and the other a Yamaha); I think I am going to look for one of their mechanics for future work. Hopefully one of their now unemployed techs is working on his own.