IGNORED

Rear trunk and speakers to sissy bar swap.

Hello again. i have another simple question that I would like to know the answer to before I buy a RSV. How simple is it to remove the rear trunk, passenger seat back and speakers and swap in the sissy bar from a RSTD. I like the trunk and speakers for long road trips....but for everyday commuting I think I would like the look of the OEM RSTD Sissy bar on the back. Is this like a 10-15 min swap or a major ordeal. I will be removing the 2 antennas since I don"t plan on using the CB and FM tuner....I will be using XM Satellite Radio. I was also going to put the rear speaker wires on quick disconnects .....so with that said....would doing this be an easy swap out. I would just buy a RSTD ...but I like the trunk for long trips and I love the fairing and stereo of the RSV. Thank you folks for your help.

Hello again. i have another simple question that I would like to know the answer to before I buy a RSV. How simple is it to remove the rear trunk, passenger seat back and speakers and swap in the sissy bar from a RSTD. I like the trunk and speakers for long road trips....but for everyday commuting I think I would like the look of the OEM RSTD Sissy bar on the back. Is this like a 10-15 min swap or a major ordeal. I will be removing the 2 antennas since I don"t plan on using the CB and FM tuner....I will be using XM Satellite Radio. I was also going to put the rear speaker wires on quick disconnects .....so with that said....would doing this be an easy swap out. I would just buy a RSTD ...but I like the trunk for long trips and I love the fairing and stereo of the RSV. Thank you folks for your help.

Personally I think it would be too much of a hastle switching back and forth. The truck of an RSV can be removed and there is a chrome mounting rack underneath. Maybe some sort of an adapter for a sissy could be made instead of going the TD route??

Hello: I purchased an RSTD instead of a RSV. It fit me better on the showroom floor. I really like it, but I later discovered I liked having a hard trunk. I chose to install a hard trunk on my RSTD and I am really happy with it. I could switch back to my stock backrest if I wished to do so. I suppose I could do it in one hour? In my opinion probably easier to swap back and forth on a RSTD rather than an RSV.

To use the RSTD quick release backrest you need to swap out the chrome fender rails on the RSV for RSTD ones. You need the posts for the locking mechanism to snap into. I changed the rear fender on my '09 RSV for a RSTD fender so I could make a solo bike out of it. I bought a backrest and luggage rack from an RSTD but didn't find a set of the rails before I sold the RSV.

• 1 month later...

Since the trunk is fairly easy to remove, 6 screws and some wiring, I just fabbed an alum plate (20 x 16) to mount on the rack to hide the wiring and serve some tiedown ability. I'll forgo a pass backrest unless needed. I'm going to call it my 'Flatbed RSV'!

Edited by ACE50