IGNORED

Anyone had a knee replaced and still riding?

Midrsv

I've had trouble with my knees for a few years and I still get around OK but I am considering a knee replacement before I get to the point that I can't function. The doc says I could wait another year or two but I would like to get back to being able to walk a few miles.

Has anyone been through the surgery and if so, how was the recovery and rehab? How long before you were back to work, driving and on the bike? Would you do it again?

Thanks,

Dennis

There are several of us here on the forum that have had new knees put in. It will take a while before you can hop back on the bike. It was about a full year for me from what I can recall. I went back to work at 12 weeks after PT 3 times a week. I don't know how some people have them both done at the same time. It is a pretty rough surgery and hurts like hell.

Mine was to the point where I had no choice but to have it done. So, I guess I have to say that I would do it again. The day to day pain will mostly be a thing of the past. You will have less range of motion and a few new pains that come with having joint replacement.

Edited by Bvinson

I had 4 totally invasive surgeries on my rt knee starting in November 1961 and ending with a 5th surgery and total knee replacement in 2009. During rehab I promised myself and anybody that would listen that I would not do it again. I didn't help myself by hyperextending the 'new' knee 6 weeks after surgery but then it was a good learning experience. Ain't gonna do that again !!

After all is said and done - yes I would do it again to be free of the pain I had prior to replacement.

However, the pain (for some) in rehab is the worse part. They told me that one of my options was to go back in and remove some of the scar tissue - naw, tramodal (sp) and a glass of wine was good enough.

I was riding again as soon as I could bend my knee enough to hit the brake pedal - probably a bad decision but I live in a small town, no traffic to be concerned about.

Dennis, SteveW had his knee replaced as well as his hip. Im sure he will chime in here. Im facing the same thing now for a while. For me its just the financial end of it. I have no sick and vacation time left and just cant afford to be out for 3 months without a check. I also need to drop about another 75 lbs before I get it done, if only for my own comfort.I may be retired soon and if so ill have my knee replaced, one at a time. Do your research on the different types of replacement knees out there. Some are great while others, like the DuPey have had some issues. One of my doctors uses the Stryker Triathlon and the ones from Smith and Nephew look good too. Ask your dr what model he uses and do your research. Good luck!

I've had trouble with my knees for a few years and I still get around OK but I am considering a knee replacement before I get to the point that I can't function. The doc says I could wait another year or two but I would like to get back to being able to walk a few miles.

Has anyone been through the surgery and if so, how was the recovery and rehab? How long before you were back to work, driving and on the bike? Would you do it again?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis.. theres a B vitiman extract? "NIACINAMIDE".....You might want to Goggle and enjoy the coffee while you read....(maybe you already have). A lot of studies have been done over the years and one just finished this spring at Irvine. The studies lead one to believe it does a pretty good job with "Arthritis".......don't know if that is part of your problem or not?

I have been taking the "NIACINAMIDE" supplement for 6 weeks now......BUTT....."I try not to recommend nor discourage the use of a product until I can personally attest the results myself", to do so would make me a smaller man.( at 245lb that might not be bad for me :whistling:)

A pretty day in the makin....Ridin to do...."I Hear The Mountains Calling Me"

Freddie

One of the guys in the locaql star touring group had both knees replaced, one right after the other spaced few months apart. He chose to do one at a time to make for an easier recovery over the period of one winter. The work was performed in the Opperasting room he used to work in so he knew the guys doing the work he retired right after the work. that weas last winter he started riding again this spring and is very pleased with the result. He is still riding his Venture and says it is much easier than it was pre surgury.

Al

Just to chime in here and give some info that I think is value about hip replacements.. I had mine (right) replaced 6 weeks ago and it is doing great.. I was back on the Venture after 4 weeks with the original pain gone and good movement. I could lift my right leg over the seat (straight across in front of the backrest) and handle the weight of the bike easily.. It is still a little sore where healing is still taking place, but the pain from bone to bone from arthritis, is gone. I attribute the early recovery to the type of replacement surgery I had. It is called "Anterior Hip Replacement". They go in from the front of the joint area, spread the tendons apart and insert it all from there. There is NO cutting of any tendons or muscles, as is done in a Posterior Hip Replacement, so healing is quick allowing recovery in a matter of weeks.. I had the joint replaced on Tuesday, came home on Friday and could walk (carefully/very slowly) by Saturday/Sunday without the walker or cane..(and I am 67 years old). If you are going to have a hip replaced...I HIGHLY recommend you research this method. It has been done for years in Europe and has made it to the USofA in the last couple of years. It requires a special operating table to perform it. This allows perfect alignment and there is no limp from a short/tall replacement. If you didn't know I had it replaced....you couldn't tell it.. Google: Anterior Hip Replacement...and find someone in your area who does it.. I guarantee you will forever be grateful....!!!

Mine was done by Andrews Sports Clinic, St. Vincent's Hospital in Birmingham, AL....

I had both replaced at the same time in 06.Did the pt 3 time a week for 28 weeks,which is a must or it won't be right again,and after that went back to cutting 32 yards a wk.The longer you wait ,like I did,the more the bone will wearaway.Don't get me wrong it is a painful recovery ,but the end result is worth it ,no more pain.At the time my rsv was on 2 wheels and that summer rode form Ky to Ontario

I'm 49. I had my left knee replaced 6 years ago. Recovery / pt was very painful, but I ended up with better range of motion an NO Pain!!! I had 13 years of bone on bone where my physical ability declined to where I could hardly do anything. Riding is fine. I'm limited as to how long I can ride. Now I just have my bipolar & depression to deal with.

I say do it as soon as you can.

Doug

I've had both knees replaced and my right hip. The hip was first and was great in a couple of weeks. Had the right knee replaced 6 weeks after the rt hip was done. ( that was not the best idea ) should have waited 3 months or so. I just had the left knee replaced this past Jan. and it was sore for about 3 months but was walking fine in 1 month.

The hip was a piece of cake compaired to the knees. The PT is the bigest part of getting better fast. I used a recombent bike to work my left knee and that gave me my best range of motion. Yep it does hurt for awhile but compaired to the pain I was in for years it is well worth it.

As far as riding I was on the bike in 4 weeks after the left knee was done. alittle hard on shifting with bending the knee but that worked out after a few min. riding.

All in all its not going to get better by itself and I wish I would have done it yeas ago.

I had my Right knee done in late August, 2007. Best thing I could have hoped for. Sure, the Physical Therapy hurt like the dickens, but made it worthwhile. I was using a walker for six weeks and I now know why old folks are cranky. I wa not able to ride any kind of two wheels prior to the replacement. Now, I can ride just a long as I want, as long as my passenger is comfortable. I just need to shift the positioning of the leg once in a while. Highway pegs are great.

If you do have it done, listen to the Docs and Rehab. The initial pain is worth a better recovery in the long run.

Dave

Had both of mine replace./ Right one in 1998 & Left one in 2000. No problems They will be a little stiff for some people & some not. & i still Ride & play alot of Golf. ( 9 weeks & you can play golf & Ride. Get them Done in Nov. & when winter is over you are ready.