The other day I ran into a guy that needed to sell a 1983 venture that his father in law had sent down to him from PA. he didn't want it because they were getting ready to move. timing is a great thing, I picked this bike up for $1000 and it only had 24000 actual miles on it, garage stored the whole time not even a scratch. the carbs were gummed up, I went through them, checked the compression it was good 130psi on each cylinder, good spark but still runs like it is only running on half the cylinders. sluggish week. if any one has any suggestions on what to check for nest, PLEASE tell. and Thank You for all for the great website.

Steve

I would go to an Autozone store or Walmart and buy a couple of cans of Seafoam and use about half the can in the first tankful, and then about 25-30% of a can in each tank afterwards. These bikes like to rev so around town you probably should never be in a gear higher than 3rd (i dont get 5th until 60 or 70 mph).

You cant drive these like a vtwin, the redline is 7500 and the develop horsepower from 3k rpm and up. Dont be afraid to let it rev, especially when trying to get thecarbs cleaned out.

Brian

The other day I ran into a guy that needed to sell a 1983 venture that his father in law had sent down to him from PA. he didn't want it because they were getting ready to move. timing is a great thing, I picked this bike up for $1000 and it only had 24000 actual miles on it, garage stored the whole time not even a scratch. the carbs were gummed up, I went through them, checked the compression it was good 130psi on each cylinder, good spark but still runs like it is only running on half the cylinders. sluggish week. if any one has any suggestions on what to check for nest, PLEASE tell. and Thank You for all for the great website.

Steve

Your compression is somewhat on the low side.

Did you have throttle wide open when checking?

Was motor warmed up?

160-170 would be more in normal range.

Gary

An '83 with that many miles is barely broke in. But then again, it's got to be gummed up. The Sea Foam will deal with most of that. Run the SF for a while and then swap out the plugs for new. The SF will bust up the gummy stuff but it does end up fouling the plugs. Fresh plugs will make one heck of a difference.

My '84 had been stored for 9 years when I bought it. The SF and freshening things up brought her back to life.

As said, don't be afraid to run up the revs. These bikes are built to run all day at highway speeds without complaint.

Enjoy the ride.

Mike

I took the carbs off and tore them apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, all the jets and tiny holes, was real careful putting it back to gether. and got them all synced up. I haven't put in new spark plugs yet, that was my next try. good luck on your rebuild.

Steve

I took the carbs off and tore them apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, all the jets and tiny holes, was real careful putting it back to gether. and got them all synced up. I haven't put in new spark plugs yet, that was my next try. good luck on your rebuild.

Steve

Did you check the diaphrams for really little pin holes,,, it won't right with those pinholes in place and if the diaphrams are original they will have some holes.

Still need the Sea-Foam. I would run tank down to about 1/4 tank and add 1/2 can of Sea-Foam to tank and other 1/2 to crankcase. Run it until you are sure carbs are full. Crack open the drain screws to make sure fuel is flowing. Run it in good and leave sit for a day or so. Change the oil after a few hundred miles. I don't like to leave the Sea-Foam in the crankcase a long time. You will see a difference.