IGNORED

Why do you multiple 1st Gen MKIs or MKIIs

GolfVenture

I currently own an 89 VR and am very happy with it. I really thought this VR would take me into the sunset for it only has 26,500 miles on it. Then I found a 91 VR with only 6700 miles from the origional owner. I just couldn't pass it up. So I purchased it and plan on transfering all my accessories from the 89 to the 91 and plan on selling the 89 probably spring of 2012 for it will take some time to move all the accessories over. But for the right reasons I could keep both VRs but then that would mean 2 licenses fee, 2 insurance, that is if I plan on riding both. But I do not see why for the 2 are the same bike.

I do see many of you have multi MKIs or multi MKIIs, and so I'm courious as to the following questions:

1) Why do you have two of the same make and model and sometimes the same year.

2) What made you initially decide to pick up the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on VR.

3) Does all of your VRs acturally run

Some answers could be the following

1) Have too much money

2) Picked up the other VR as a parts bike then decided to fix it up.

3) Because they are old and consider Collectables.

4) Only one of my VR runs all the others are parts bike.

Please do not limit to the above reasons.

Thanks

I have a 85 and a 86 on the road now. Both are good bikes. 2nd will skip in the 85 but it will still pull front wheel off ground in 2nd. All of mine the engines should start with a little work. Can't keep up with that many batteries and everything.

With the garage (yeah right!!)it is my intention to start breaking them down to put back togather right. Then maybe I'll sell a few. I want them to be NICE when they roll out the door. I just like messing with them. I found a fairly good running 87 I can get for around 1500. Might just have to have it!!

I'm retired!! I got nothing to do!!

I bought the 83 first. It was my first bike since the early 90's (raising a family etc)

After having it for a few months I realized I wanted to do a lot of work for "upgrades" etc on it.

I found my 94 plain jane venture for an excellent price and all it needed was tires to get on the road.

So the 83 is in pieces and I'm riding the 84.

But then....I found an 88 royal on Ebay, along with a trailer for a price I just couldn't say no to.

It also is in pieces while I fix up a few minor issues. The 84 is sold, with a deposit on it so I'll be back down to the 83 and the 88 soon. Once the 83 is fixed up...it will be sold too.

Insurance here in the Great White North is just too much to have both on the road at the same time. ($600 each for just liability and it doesn't matter if you have one or six bikes....$600 each!)

I bought the 83 first. It was my first bike since the early 90's (raising a family etc)

After having it for a few months I realized I wanted to do a lot of work for "upgrades" etc on it.

I found my 94 plain jane venture for an excellent price and all it needed was tires to get on the road.

So the 83 is in pieces and I'm riding the 84.

But then....I found an 88 royal on Ebay, along with a trailer for a price I just couldn't say no to.

It also is in pieces while I fix up a few minor issues. The 84 is sold, with a deposit on it so I'll be back down to the 83 and the 88 soon. Once the 83 is fixed up...it will be sold too.

Insurance here in the Great White North is just too much to have both on the road at the same time. ($600 each for just liability and it doesn't matter if you have one or six bikes....$600 each!)

That would stop me real quick Steve. I keep "Ugly" and "Brown Sugar" ready to go for a lot less than one costs you. I am thinking of tearing one of them down enough to add all the goodies I have.

Then I found a 91 VR with only 6700 miles from the origional owner. I just couldn't pass it up.

I have an 89 that is in perfect condition and now runs perfectly with a little carb cleaning.

If the bike you bought is the one on Craigslist recently near Bothell (as I recall) - Congrats! I wanted to jump on that one, too.

Here's why I want two great VRs. I have brothers that can fly in to visit and I would like to have a guest bike so we can ride. It is hard to imagine a better ride that is so affordable.

So, once I get settled in my new place with garage space I'll be shopping in earnest.

t

mostly option 2 but somewhat option 2 as well! I fell in love with the Venture back in the 80's but never had an opportunity to own one until about 6 years or so ago. Picked upi trhe '85 as a parts bike but decided to use it as a frame up restoration project when I retire next year. I wanted to keep the '84 because it is such a great bike and very low mileage, and I have done a ton of restoration and updating on it, but I am going to part with it in the near future...

Wow, insurance must be expensive in Ontario. :yikes: We have full coverage, fire, theft, comprehensive, etc., on our '06 for less than $600. :D

Thanks for asking this question, by the way, I always wondered about these people with all these bikes listed under their name!! :)

Well, I bought my 83 brand new and rode it until 3 years ago when I found a low mileage 89 Royale. My brother wanted a bike and couldn't afford one, so now he's riding the 83 with 150,000 miles showing and I ride the 89. With all the mileage on the 83, I would have a hard time selling it, yet it runs so good!!!! Also, there is no other make or model bike like a 1st. gen Venture.

Frank D.

• 3 weeks later...

bought most of my bikes out of curiosity, wonder how much I will like that bike after a couple weeks or days on the road.

my current bikes were bought in this order, and this is why.

Bought my 2007 venture midnight as my one and only purchased brand new bike, because I had a 2001 royalstar td or whatever that model was called loved everything except the seat so bought the venture midnight( my all time favorite bike) bought the 1992 venture Royale because it was sitting out on somebodys lawn in the rain. it had good bones and body wasn't bad either just needed brake work and computerized air system repaired, decided to put it into like new condition. nice bike smooth quiet still needs air system fixed but getting there. bought the 2008 FJR 2k miles on it because I took one out for a test ride at stardays in Montana. bike is scary fast and fairly comfortable for the first 300 miles of a day. Bought a 2004 goldwing because a million flies must know something. Nice smooth quiet engine and transmission is smooth and quiet. unfortunately the bike is built for a 5'8" 160 lb rider. ok for a one day ride but not suitable for a 6'2" 200lb rider for a week straight. I guess my ideal bike would be a gen 2 chasis with the new V max motor a six speed transmission with a quiet clutch and fuel injection. and maybe a flat screen tv with microwave and coffee maker

Al

I own more than one because the law says I can only have one wife!.....and everyone needs to collect something! Seriously, I bought the 83 on a whim, riding by one day on my GW and bought it from a guy's front yard. I liked the performance and ride and decided to buy a newer one. Found the 89 on this Forum and decided to do a complete overhaul on it. Will finish it this winter and then will probably keep it for a few years, as I am getting ready to retire. Probably will trike it when I can't swing my leg over the seat anymore. I am going to sell the 83 Blonde shortly because I can't ride more than one at a time.

Jim

I got my 83 in 88, (it's been maxed since.):smile5:

I got my other 83 in 98 or 99:icon_smile_question I don't remember, from a friend for 500bucks, and it ran like a champ,:pushups:

I now keep it (almost in stock condetion) for a friend;) that comes over from Scotland every now and then, That way he has a chance of keeping up with me,:smile5:

I paid another friend 200 bucks in 99 for an 87, All I wanted was the plastic, :pbut it ran.

then I got an 05 250 verago for the wife,:yikes: but she stoped riding alone after we got hit 2 months later, so I use it now and then.

I have antique plates on the 83s so I dont have to reregastor them, the insurance would only be about 100$ a year but I need more then the state min.

Bilko

In my case, I like my 88 so much that I am constantly on the lookout for another Mark 2 1st gen. I once bought a second sailboat identical to one that I already owned because I thought that particular model was so good and it was no longer in production. However, as Trader says, insurance cost here in Ontario is so high that I can only insure one bike at a time. That leaves me second guessing my desire to buy (and store) a second VR. At times, I think I should continue to put my time and money into the one I already own so it can "live on" until I am too old to ride it. Hopefully, that won't be the case for many years.