IGNORED

updated shift mechanism

Once again i find myself pulling the clutch to replace those dang pins.I bought my 83 Venture a year ago and this will be my third tear-down. I do recall a thread about an updated mechanism for this staR SHIFTER some where, does any one recall what the part number or year of bike it will update to :confused24: Thanks

You need:

4NK-18185-00-00 SEGMENT Qty: 1

93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 5

93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 1

These numbers are from a 1999-2007 VMax - Same #'s for 1st Gen Ventures.

Picture is of both styles before installed in motor. Better one is on the left.

Gary

DSC01304.jpg

Edited by dingy
Added note for1st Gen P/N

HEY DINGY!!!!

Paging DINGY!!

I got his pics but I know he has the answer.

This is what you are looking for I do belive.

Dingy should be around shortly.

Mike

Wake up and smell the coffee Old man, See prior post !!

:backinmyday:

Gary

Thanks guys, I am definetly gonna order the parts and go this route. Third time is getting to be a bit much, however fairly cheap. I just don`t understand why it keeps happening.

OH WELL:cool10:!!!

• 3 months later...
So what problem does this "fix" solve? First time I've seen anything on the subject. I just want to know for future reference.

Thanks

Bill

If you look at the picture, you can see 2 plates on the end of the shaft with pins between them. This is part of the shift mechanism. The ones on the right tend to have the bent tabs, that hold them in place, bend out and so release the pins, which makes it impossible to shift. The one on the left doesn't have the tabs. The pins are set it the casing and can't come out,, problem solved.

So is there any warning signs before it goes bad?

Depending on which pin falls out, you will no longer be able to shift up past that point. When I bought my 83, it would not go into 4rd or 5th. It would shift down all the way to first and back up to 3rd and that's it.

When I pulled the clutch side cover to see if that was the problem, I pulled one of the other pins to measure...it's a 4mm x 20mm dowel pin. There are 5 20mm long pins and one shorter. The one I needed is about 4mm shorter (sorry but I did not think to measure) but could only get a 20mm long one and ground it down to fit. You can't cut these with a hack saw they are hardened.

Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone who might get stuck...you don't have to wait for one from a dealer.

I just did this fix and the genius on the phone where I ordered it, had the "new" upgraded part listed for the '83 but still listed the original pins, so he said that they were the same. WRONG. Once I got the part, one of the short pins was about the right length for the long pin, and the remaining pins I took a dremel to and chopped them to size. Cut real easy. Haven't had much time to ride since it needs a new rear tire and the carbs had gotten plugged from sitting, but it shifted thru all the gears just fine.

-Andrew