IGNORED

Two questions Phone and Butler

winger53215

I have a Droid X and am looking to use the GPS on it. Does anyone have it mounted? I have seen the cases and just want to make sure what I buy works.

Secondally, does anyone use the Butler cup holders? I was wondering about clearance for the tank.

TYIA

I had the same plan and envisioned myself tooling down the highway listening to tunes on Pandora and using the GPS function for navigation.

Unfortunately, I found that the Droid X, while plugged into 12v on the bike and working as a GPS, got so hot that it would shut itself down. Temperature is problematic with the Droid X.

Steve

I have a Droid X and am looking to use the GPS on it. Does anyone have it mounted? I have seen the cases and just want to make sure what I buy works.

Secondally, does anyone use the Butler cup holders? I was wondering about clearance for the tank.

TYIA

Try RAM mounts. If they don't have a specific mount for your phone, they have a universal finger mount that is very secure. I use one.

I use RAM cupholders too.

If you plan to use Google Nav then there are a few things to remember.

It cannot plan multi-stop routes. It's very good, but it's point to point.

If you input a route in an area with data connection, then it will prefetch all the mapping you need for the route. If you leave the route by much, and don't have a data signal, then it cannot get the new maps it needs. The maps are not stored on the phone.

There are other mapping apps for Android that store maps on the phone, but they are not free.

I find the best combination is to use my Garmin for the basic route, and the phone to find things along the way.

I have used my HTC Evo for GPS and Pandora. I just opened the tape deck door and velcroed a spare case to sit there. It worked fine but the display is a bit too shiny to see most of the time.

Let us know what you figure out

Frank

Hello: I also have a droid X. I have it in an otterbox defender case. I purchased a handlebar mount to accomodate my otterbox defender case and installed it on my RSTD. I like it real well so far (Beats having the phone on my hip while riding) even if I do not have the blue tooth turned on, I can at least hear it ring) I then stop and return the call. I have not had much time to actually try out the phone with all of its bells and whistles and navigation yet. I hope I do not have sunlight and heat issues?

I don't know what they get for the "Butler" cup holder, but the "barefootwillies.com" is $20 everywhere I've seen it, and it works fine on the 2nd gen like you just bought.

I'll try to find a pic of it in place, I know there is one somewhere on this site.:doh:

Here it is, and here's a lot more ideas.:mo money:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52444&highlight=cockpit

attachment.php?attachmentid=49653&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1283091916

Edited by Scooter Bob
added pic and link

I had the same plan and envisioned myself tooling down the highway listening to tunes on Pandora and using the GPS function for navigation.

Unfortunately, I found that the Droid X, while plugged into 12v on the bike and working as a GPS, got so hot that it would shut itself down. Temperature is problematic with the Droid X.

Steve

Would you think If you used an aluminum mount and put a small heat sink on the back such as from a CPU it would keep the temp down quite a bit?