IGNORED

Here we go again-biker killed

Sylvester

Police say the collision remains under investigation.

I know what you mean, but we really cant say it was the cage drivers fault till all the investigation is complete....

The biker could have been traveling at a very high rate of speed...who knows..

to early to tell..to early to place blame..:confused24:

While it is a well-known fact that cages making a left turn in front of a motorcyclist are the number one cause of biker deaths, there are at least a couple reason's for this that I believe we, as bikers, need to keep at the forefront of our minds when approaching an intersection or when out on the highway with on-coming traffic and a roadway off to the right.

Firstly, many cage drivers are unable to judge speed or distance of oncoming vehicles very well and this is at the very least doubled when it is a motorcycle.

Secondly, many motorcycles have lighting that is either inadequate or is such that it blinds an oncoming driver and in so doing, makes it even more difficult for that diver to judge the bikes speed or distance.

If we, as bikers, keep these 2 things at the forefront of our minds and take some evasive action such as slowing down a bit or flipping our headlights from low to high and back to low a few times (headlight modulator maybe?), it might just save one person's life.

Personally, I am always very watchful for that left-hand turner when approaching an intersection ... it is probably the most scariest part of any ride for me.

Unfortunately, not all bike riders pay enough attention to this highly dangerous zone.

So having said all that, we can't always place blame on the cage driver. After all, we have riders like this guy on our roads ....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XihQeZpwqpE]YouTube - Black Devil - Moscow Ride on R1[/ame]

I've been riding again since last Friday when the weather took a turn for pleasent. One thing is for sure, the cagers are not looking for us yet. (Like the majority ever do?) Need to be an full alert all the time and be prepared for unexpected moves by the cagers more than ever.

It's a shame anyone has to die doing what they enjoy. No matter which person was at fault....there is no doubt it could have been avoided.

It's a shame anyone has to die doing what they enjoy. No matter which person was at fault....there is no doubt it could have been avoided.

When I die, I hope I am doing what I enjoy most.

If death could be avoided, we'd live forever .... :D (maybe we do ... as another being???)

When I die, I hope I am doing what I enjoy most.

If death could be avoided, we'd live forever .... :D (maybe we do ... as another being???)

Right on. I sure as heck don't want to be some 90 year old vegetable...

By the way I showed that video (crotch rocket through Moscow) to a few of the Russians that I collaborate with (both work at a lab in Moscow) and they said that they see this behavior all the time in the city. They call them a word that directly translates to 'suicides'... and mean it that way too.

Not to steer from the original topic...

Back on track - hopefully justice as appropriate and that all parties involved (directly and indirectly) can do what they need to do to grieve, cope, learn and move on from this incident.

I love watching that video,,,, I think that guy is an idiot, a complete unabridged idiot! but he does show us that there always seems to be a out. Sometimes we need to learn that, we don't get to practice it much, if at all, but as we learned in MCT, a stopped MC is a dead MC, so keep it moving, always look for the out, more so than the brakes when it comes to a tight situation.

As far as this thread is concerned, I'm with Eck, let's wait for the outcome.

Lesson here is: What are you as a rider telling the left turning cagers coming toward you. Your lane position, speed, lane position change, flashing of lights all send a signal to the other driver. Be careful not to send them the wrong signal. Just a simple thing such as moving from one track to another, may indicate to the cager that you are making a turn, and seeing as he\she is in such a hurry, they will take their chance and move in their intended direction.

As far as this thread is concerned, I'm with Eck, let's wait for the outcome.

Lesson here is: What are you as a rider telling the left turning cagers coming toward you. Your lane position, speed, lane position change, flashing of lights all send a signal to the other driver. Be careful not to send them the wrong signal. Just a simple thing such as moving from one track to another, may indicate to the cager that you are making a turn, and seeing as he\she is in such a hurry, they will take their chance and move in their intended direction.

I agree with Eck and Marcarl.

When I read about an accident i always ask my self "What could the Biker done better or different" I beleive that alot of these type of accidents can be avoided. I also think that alot of accidents that happen the first part of the riding season could be the "Rusty Biker" Riding a bike is a practiced skill. if you haven't been on a bike for a couple of months then you may not be at the top of your game.

With that said, Prayer are being sent out for all those involved in this accident.