IGNORED

My wife needs pasties!

Dave77459

Get your mind out of the gutter! :innocent:

I am riding up to the Upper Peninsula in a couple weeks, showing my bride some places I visited as a kid. One of my childhood memories is of the pasties we enjoyed. Unfortunately, as a kid I didn't pay much attention to where we got them. I vaguely remember getting them from trucks or stands... something only sort of permanent.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good pasty joint? I think timing-wise, some place close to the Mackinaw Bridge on the St Ignace side would work. Otherwise, we are headng up to the Soo Locks, camping at Brimley SP, then heading across to the Keweenaw Peninsula via Munising and Marquette.

Ideas?

Dave

I ain't got a freakin clue as to what yer looking for.....Bubber where are ya man ???? :confused07:

Boomer....who sez the only pasties he's ever seen wuz onna Pole Dancer in San Fran-fruity....and I proposed to her 12 times before the Bouncer taught me to fly.....:crying:

Here you go! :thumbsup:

http://www.warrensbakery.co.uk/products/large-steak-pasty.jpg

Dang....You brought back my memories of dat Pole Dancer for a freakin meat turnover? :crying:

Boomer....who sez ya shoudda e-mailed Martha Stewart in the fust place instead of slapping dat stuff on here and getting me all werked up.:headache::Laugh:

Get your mind out of the gutter! :innocent:

showing my bride some ,,,pasties Unfortunately, as a kid I didn't pay much attention to where we got them. I vaguely remember getting them ,,,,, only sort of permanent.

So, does anyone have a ,,, joint? I think ,,, on the,,,, side would work.

Ideas?

Dave

Depends how you read it and if you can read it all,,, I suppose.

http://www.warrensbakery.co.uk/products/large-steak-pasty.jpg

I got hit with a bucket of pasties once, but I never had a bouncer learn me how to fly except for that one time in.............. ah never mind that, he was two feet taller and two feet wider than me anyway. Besides 6 feet ain't really flying.

We have a lot of different ethnicities in the upper mid west (other than Scandihovians) so it could be a lot of things called different by each and eveyone of them. But it looks German to me, Meat and potatos, yah that looks Crout to me!

I never been on that side of the big lake so not sure what they call it.

BUT PASTIES sure got my attention. :missingtooth:

I ain't got a freakin clue as to what yer looking for.....Bubber where are ya man ???? :confused07:

Boomer....who sez the only pasties he's ever seen wuz onna Pole Dancer in San Fran-fruity....and I proposed to her 12 times before the Bouncer taught me to fly.....:crying:

Next time you are in Houston, we can reintroduce you to pasties. Warning: they are worn only by dancers who don't have their license. So, they tend to be young. You have been warned!

Depends how you read it and if you can read it all,,, I suppose.

LOL! You picked out all the good words!

I got hit with a bucket of pasties once, but I never had a bouncer learn me how to fly except for that one time in.............. ah never mind that, he was two feet taller and two feet wider than me anyway. Besides 6 feet ain't really flying.

We have a lot of different ethnicities in the upper mid west (other than Scandihovians) so it could be a lot of things called different by each and eveyone of them. But it looks German to me, Meat and potatos, yah that looks Crout to me!

I never been on that side of the big lake so not sure what they call it.

BUT PASTIES sure got my attention. :missingtooth:

I think pasties are Cornish, brought to the UP by miners.

BTW, the problem with flying only 6 feet is that you don't have time to set up for a graceful landing! :rotfl:

Dave

DAve,

Don't pay Bubber and those other heathens any mind. They wouldn't know a good Pasti if it jumped right onto their plate.

For the discriminating palate, there is/was (haven't been there in a few years) a place in Mackinaw City called the Mackinaw Pasti. If I remember correctly if is just off I-75.

There are also a couple of good Mom & Pop places in Iron Mountain which put up a fairly decent Pasti.

The biggest problem with Pasti's is that they don't age well. So, they need to be fresh to really savor them.

Hope this helps.

Black Owl... who will eat anything that stands still long enough, but does appreciate a good Pasti....

DAve,

Don't pay Bubber and those other heathens any mind. They wouldn't know a good Pasti if it jumped right onto their plate.

For the discriminating palate, there is/was (haven't been there in a few years) a place in Mackinaw City called the Mackinaw Pasti. If I remember correctly if is just off I-75.

There are also a couple of good Mom & Pop places in Iron Mountain which put up a fairly decent Pasti.

The biggest problem with Pasti's is that they don't age well. So, they need to be fresh to really savor them.

Hope this helps.

Black Owl... who will eat anything that stands still long enough, but does appreciate a good Pasti....

Thank you much!

There is a place on Mackinaw City called Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Co, on Jamet St, just to the west of I-75. There's another location by the ferry docks. I'm guessing you mean the one just off I-75? Would it survive the trip to the lighthouse so we can eat and look at the bridge?

Dave

Thank you much!

Would it survive the trip to the lighthouse so we can eat and look at the bridge?

Dave

The whole idea of the pastie was that the wives could make them early in the morning and the husbands could take them into the mines for lunch. Seems like it should survive a short trip.

The whole idea of the pastie was that the wives could make them early in the morning and the husbands could take them into the mines for lunch. Seems like it should survive a short trip.

Excellent point! I am very hopeful that the taste lives up to the memories!

Dave

2045 West US 2 St. Ignace, Michigan, 49781 (906)643-8542 Lehto's Pasties was started in 1947 by Mr. Lehto after he served in WWII and was honorably discharged from the army in 1946. It is one of the Original Famous Pasty Shops located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Lehto's is still family owned and operated to this very day by Mr. & Mrs. Lehto daughter Katherine.

This is such a quaint little pasty shop located about 6 miles west of St. Ignace MI on US2.

I few years ago my Daughter and I stayed in St Ignace and I asked 4 people where was the best place to get Pasties and they all told me Lehto"s. The one and only Pasties I ever had up there but they were GOOD.

Edited by KarlS

My wife needs em too, but I aint telling the whole world about it!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Boomer....who sez he can't top dat one.....and a special PFFFFFFtttttttt to dat Black Owl fellar who prolly lives inna tree and never seen a Pole Dancer.:rasberry:

Coming south out of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada last summer we turned west on Route 2 after seeing the Mackinac Bridge. We stopped for lunch along there and my girlfriend insisted I try a "pastie" even though I had my heart set on a Philly Cheese Steak. It seems like everyone was promoting pasties in that area! Sort of like in the south with grits!

sign says it's closed, better check on that ...:stickpoke::stickpoke::stirthepot::innocent:

2045 West US 2 St. Ignace, Michigan, 49781 (906)643-8542 Lehto's Pasties was started in 1947 by Mr. Lehto after he served in WWII and was honorably discharged from the army in 1946. It is one of the Original Famous Pasty Shops located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Lehto's is still family owned and operated to this very day by Mr. & Mrs. Lehto daughter Katherine.

This is such a quaint little pasty shop located about 6 miles west of St. Ignace MI on US2.

I few years ago my Daughter and I stayed in St Ignace and I asked 4 people where was the best place to get Pasties and they all told me Lehto"s. I one and olny Pasties I ever had but they were GOOD.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Barend/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

My wife needs em too, but I aint telling the whole world about it!!!

Uh, you just did! :backinmyday:

Looks like you could make your route based on pastie locations. How about reporting back to us as to how you liked each pastie location? You know 5 stars for out of this world. 1 star would not feed it to the dog.

:thumbsup2:

http://www.mackinawpastie.com/

Sounds like a great reason to go back!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Boomer....who sez he can't top dat one.....and a special PFFFFFFtttttttt to dat Black Owl fellar who prolly lives inna tree and never seen a Pole Dancer.:rasberry:

Don't encourage him!

Coming south out of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada last summer we turned west on Route 2 after seeing the Mackinac Bridge. We stopped for lunch along there and my girlfriend insisted I try a "pastie" even though I had my heart set on a Philly Cheese Steak. It seems like everyone was promoting pasties in that area! Sort of like in the south with grits!

So did you like it?

Where's the rest of it, kinda looks like half a meat pie? No matter, looks reeeeal good. Throw some ketchup on her, and you got yourself some good eatin'. Got to get me one of them pasties one day. :big-grin-emoticon: :fatsmiley:

Just one?

sign says it's closed, better check on that ...:stickpoke::stickpoke::stirthepot::innocent:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Barend/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Hmmm, more research needed!

I tried to remove some pasties once and she decked me, then when I tried to put them back well......I can't describe it except to say I woke a few days later in the hospital.:rotfl:

Same thing happened to me when my Ex asked "does this dress make me look fat?" :rotfl:

Dave

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Hey... I see'd them Poles dance. May, they loves ta Polka.... :stirthepot:

:15_8_211[1]:

The russian/german variation is called "FLEISHKUEKLE" but I have never had any with potatoes in them. Hamburger and pork spiced just right rolled up in bread dough and deep fried served with ketchup and absolutely FANTASTIC:smile5: