IGNORED

A little advice for the new guy... please! :)

Stitch65

Hello all,

I have decided after some looking around... ok A LOT of looking around that I like this venture bike quite a bit.

I am a technician by trade and understand most issues when encountered but I also know that every machine has it's own little quirks that can only be understood by owning and riding.

I need to know what (if any) major issues to look for on the 1986 Royale 1300cc (2nd generation?)... at least that is how it's advertised... and am about to drive a long way to check it out! I'm ready to buy, and to own my first full blown touring bike... a bit excited, yet weary at the same time.

Any help here?

Thanks, Kelly

kjp40.05@gmail.com

Welcome to the site...you will find all kinds of info on this site. one thing is that the bike you are looking at is a First gen. I know pretty much nada about them, but there are folks on this site that can rebuild them with their eyes closed...they will probably pipe in and help ya out. Good luck and ride safe

Nothing really wrong with them to keep you away from one.

It is not a Second Gen though. The 2nd gen refers to 1999-2010 Royal Star Ventures.

1983-1993 are 1st gens.

1983-1985 are refered to as MKI's.

1986-1993 are refered to as MKII's

2nd gens are a whole nother critter than 1st gen's, much more different than they are similar.

MKI's & MKII's are very similar.

Look at the Venture history tab in menu above.

Gary

I personally know squat about the 1st Gen Ventures, but like Kbay said, there are lots of members here who do, and I am sure they will help you out.

I'm sure you already know that any 20+ year old bike is going to have its own issues, just from age, and often from neglect over the years. One thing to be careful about with the 1st Gen machines is the 2nd gear issue. The early years had a MAJOR problem with 2nd gear failing at pretty low miles. There was a recall to fix them, but not all bikes were taken care of, so you really don't want to get surprised by that one! I can't tell you just what years/models were affected, but I know it is all documented on this site.

Good luck in finding what you like!

Goose

I ride an '86 and love it.

Things to look at:

Plastic! At 24 years old, you're likely to have some cracked or broken tabs and pins. Most can be repaired. There are replacement piece on occasion but most have some flaws.

The CLASS (air suspension system) is something you want to check to see if it works. Some will have an E2 or E4 error and can be fixed with some soldering.

Audio/Intercom/CB- check it out. If it does work, it can be replace with aftermarket equipment.

Valve cover leaks - it typical for the gaskets to harden and need replacing but again not a serious problem.

An older bike will need some work and upkeep but the information here will save you many times over the costs to join. The people are a great family and can help you through any issues you encounter. None of the above should keep you from buying the bike but might help with price and let you know what you might need to address.

I bought mine 5 years ago with 73K on it and wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere on it today. Wonderful, strong running bikes....oh, and quicker than the 2nd gens.

Dave

You live in Colorado and we have several members there who ride and as ToolDood said

look them up in the directory and see if they can help you out.

You might find a new friend.

I owned a 83 VENTURE Standard for 20 years and you cannot find no better bike (except a 2nd Gen) lol.

I would not have a problem with jumping on a 1986 Royal and heading anywhere in the country.

The bike is a touring machine that thinks it’s a sport bike or a crotch rocket.

If it looks good and runs good buy it and enjoy...................Ron

I ride an '86 and love it.

Things to look at:

Plastic! At 24 years old, you're likely to have some cracked or broken tabs and pins. Most can be repaired. There are replacement piece on occasion but most have some flaws.

The CLASS (air suspension system) is something you want to check to see if it works. Some will have an E2 or E4 error and can be fixed with some soldering.

Audio/Intercom/CB- check it out. If it does work, it can be replace with aftermarket equipment.

Valve cover leaks - it typical for the gaskets to harden and need replacing but again not a serious problem.

An older bike will need some work and upkeep but the information here will save you many times over the costs to join. The people are a great family and can help you through any issues you encounter. None of the above should keep you from buying the bike but might help with price and let you know what you might need to address.

I bought mine 5 years ago with 73K on it and wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere on it today. Wonderful, strong running bikes....oh, and quicker than the 2nd gens.

Dave

I couldn't have said it any better. I have a second gen and a first gen (MkII) that I am having trouble parting with because it has been so dependable... I would recommend these bikes to anyone wanting a reliable and superior touring machine.

Thanks so much to all that replied... great info all around!

I went and checked it out this evening and what was said is very true... even at it's age and 81K clicks on the odo it runs very nicely! Amazing comfort compared to the 4 or 5 bikes I've ridden in the past but they were a whole different animal! lol

For those who care, here's the long and short of it...

- Some cracked plastic, nothing major (a few small attempted repairs)

- Owner says he's had it since Oct. of last year but can't tell me if anything has been serviced "recently" i.e. rear diff., coolant, ignition system etc.

- Gonna need skins relatively soon

- Air system inop display reads "PSI" and that's it, no functionality otherwise

- Minor bottons missing from intercom control and radio

- Windscreen has checking and a little yellow

But hey!!! the cruise works and as I stated it runs real nice!

Gonna mull over the $2200 price tag and decide on this one tomorrow, everything else around here is way higher for the comparable machine so we'll see.

Thanks again for all the input, I will end up with one before it's over... and it's nice to know there are some enthusiasts out there that a guy can brain pick a bit!! :)

Kelly

The CLASS (Air) only works in the acc position, no adjusting on the fly. Cracked plastic is a fact of life, the best stuff to repair is the 2 part epoxy specifically for plastic. Replace tires with Dunlop E#'s, you will be very happy with them. Broken radio buttons are common, and the best fix is buy a radio control unit off of fleabayb for the parts. Definately remove the driveshaft and grease with a moly grease liberly.

Take cash with you and wave $1500 under his nose and see if he grabs it. You may get it for that. Tell him that's all you can afford. Have checkbook handy in case he won't lower the price and you want it that badly. NEVER act like you really want the bike, he will use that to his advantage...